Page 23 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Finished today Good Omens.

and sadness stroke my heart as I will never be able to read anything greater.

Really? I found Good Omens to be rather dull. Admittedly I am a huge fan of Gaiman, but not so much of Pratchett. American Gods, however, now there's a book!
    BobHound - EVE Online

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Dispatches - Michael Herr
    ah. good choice. I think I've read it thirty times or so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar

FOR THE EMPEROR!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I finally got around to reading Dune for the first time recently. It was every bit as great as everyone says. I just finished The Name of the Wind last week and fucking LOVED it. I can't find a copy of the next book (The Wise Man's Fear) anywhere around here. The paperback comes out in March. I guess I'll just wait for that and save a few bucks. In the meantime, I'm reading through Blood of Elves (The Witcher novel) a second time. I didn't like it as much as The Last Wish, but it's still a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    It was every bit as great as everyone says. I just finished The Name of the Wind last week and fucking LOVED it. I can't find a copy of the next book (The Wise Man's Fear) anywhere around here. The paperback comes out in March. I guess I'll just wait for that and save a few bucks.
    The Book Depository.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    In the meantime, I'm reading through Blood of Elves (The Witcher novel) a second time. I didn't like it as much as The Last Wish, but it's still a great read.
    Novel 2 (Times of Contempt) comes out this year, the legal issues have been sorted.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Finished today Good Omens.

and sadness stroke my heart as I will never be able to read anything greater.
    There are other books I've probably liked more or think are "better" books. However Good Omens remains the only book I've ever bought twice. Largely because I made the mistake of lending it to a friend. But still the only other book I can see myself doing that with is "The Greatest Show Off Earth" by "Robert Rankin." Again, this probably isn't even Rankin's best book but i've got an emotional attachment to it (particularly as it's a dog eared second hand copy I picked up in a market). Oh and the Hitchhiker's Guide, naturally. Anyway Good Omens was one of my favourite books when I was younger and I still read it again every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post

FOR THE EMPEROR!
    Best non-Abnett 40K novel, no question.

Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    I'm being a massive wanker and reading Proust. Slight redemption: I'm really not enjoying it. But I started, and I've got this annoying quirk of not wanting to condemn something before I've really given it the best chances, so here I am. Dammit.
    Which translation did you go with? (Assuming you're not up to reading it in French; if you are, I'm very jealous.) I've been enjoying the new(ish) Penguin editions, and am nearing the end of the third volume.

I'd definitely recommend plugging away for at least a hundred pages or so, and preferably all of the first volume if any spark of interest remains. I gave up after about 50 pages on my first attempt, but it really does become compelling once you come to know the narrator, and develop a feel for Proust's style. If you really can't stand him, you probably won't change your mind; but if you're just a little bit bored (or even annoyed) and yet to be charmed, do keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakysh View Post
    Best non-Abnett 40K novel, no question.
    Well, it's an omnibus ;) I'm on the fifth book (this omnibus has 4, 5 & 6), Duty Calls, and so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by MD! View Post
    Which translation did you go with? (Assuming you're not up to reading it in French; if you are, I'm very jealous.) I've been enjoying the new(ish) Penguin editions, and am nearing the end of the third volume.

I'd definitely recommend plugging away for at least a hundred pages or so, and preferably all of the first volume if any spark of interest remains. I gave up after about 50 pages on my first attempt, but it really does become compelling once you come to know the narrator, and develop a feel for Proust's style. If you really can't stand him, you probably won't change your mind; but if you're just a little bit bored (or even annoyed) and yet to be charmed, do keep going.
    Cheers. I'm with the Penguin editions, half way through volume 2.

I really don't like the narrator. But that's ok, Holden Caulfield's an ass too. And some bits are just wonderful.

But it is sort of...I mean not tedious, because my attitude isn't one of "C'mon, impress me!" anymore. But it's indulgent and not on topics that are particularly capturing me. So. We'll see how it goes. If I reach volume 4 and it still hasn't managed to take me anywhere, then I might toss it. Til then, hey it is unique. I'm giving it as much space as it needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    Cheers. I'm with the Penguin editions, half way through volume 2.

I really don't like the narrator. But that's ok, Holden Caulfield's an ass too. And some bits are just wonderful.

But it is sort of...I mean not tedious, because my attitude isn't one of "C'mon, impress me!" anymore. But it's indulgent and not on topics that are particularly capturing me. So. We'll see how it goes. If I reach volume 4 and it still hasn't managed to take me anywhere, then I might toss it. Til then, hey it is unique. I'm giving it as much space as it needs.
    Ah, sorry for the useless advice then, I had assumed you'd only just started.

I'd be interested to hear how you go with the rest of it -- I can certainly understand why you might dislike the narrator, but I'm surprised you've made it so far in that case. My enjoyment of the book depends very much on some sort of affinity with the narrator. (That probably makes me sound like a gigantic wanker, but while he's dramatically different from me in many ways, there's something about his cast of mind that gels well with mine.)

Got another two Discworld books for Christmas so I'm now about to finish my third on the bounce. Interesting Times, Maskerade, Feet of Clay. I find myself properly laughing less often at them now but I still can't put them down.

Next up will be the second Song of Ice and Fire book.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Novel 2 (Times of Contempt) comes out this year, the legal issues have been sorted.
    GASP! That is the best news I've gotten all year. Thanks!

FOR THE EMPEROR!
    All of that, and then SANDY MITCHELL.

Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    All of that, and then SANDY MITCHELL.
    Whatchu talkin' about, Willis?

Was a funny juxtapocallit is all.

Activated Node
    The Life And Times Of The Thunderbolt Kid - Bill Bryson

The first book I've read in a few years. The last one, which I ashamedly still haven't finished is A Short History Of Nearly Everything.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Just finished Mistborn, ran down to the book store, and despaired that the sequel was not in. The first book has some quirks but I'm absolutely in love with Allomancy and the characters are quite excellent. Sanderson's a bit too ... telling. Forshadowing a lot of his better secrets, giving character perspectives that prevent the reader from sharing the surprise with the character. But I still enjoyed the book enormously and look forward to the next one. His website says it is more "personal" and his annotations suggest that he would have liked to have fixed a good portion of the things I didn't like in the first book. Gah. I don't like waiting. What am I going to read obsessively THIS weekend? I almost bought Diamond Age but I think I'll order it instead. $15 is a little steep for a paperback of it's length. I'd rather not pay six dollars more for a larger book that fits into fewer bags and corners.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 12-01-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tams80 View Post
    The Life And Times Of The Thunderbolt Kid - Bill Bryson

The first book I've read in a few years. The last one, which I ashamedly still haven't finished is A Short History Of Nearly Everything.
    I love Bryson, and while that book doesn't have the same laughs as when he's talked about his childhood/family in his older stuff I still really enjoyed it. It'd be nice if he did a travel book again but I've enjoyed the other stuff anyway. At Home was chock full of the sort of facts and information that I wish I could remember, but invariably leaves me going "Oh yeah....... yeah I read about that in At Home............. can't remember anything else about it."
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.