Page 26 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    I HATE READING or any kind of BOOKS..
    when I'm trying to start to read i also began to drowse..

images (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by crossangel2012 View Post

That must be terrible for you to live such a malnourished existence. My sympathies.
    Last edited by corbain; 26-01-2012 at 05:39 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Finished 11.22.63, I'll admit it, first time in a long while, probably since reading Maya Angelou in college that I got all damp-eyed at the end of a book. It's a superbly crafted story. In the afterward, King notes some of his research overlapped with another book "Under the Dome" - so I looked it up as well. Haven't heard anything about it except that it's a much more lengthy story, rivaling "The Stand" in terms of scope. I picked an epub version and have gotten about 20 pages in. So far so good. No wiki spoilers this time, promise.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crossangel2012 View Post

images (2).jpg
    This being an internet forum, and therefore primarily a text-based medium, I find this ironic.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I can't seem to find 1984 or Brave New World anywhere!

So, I'll just have to settle with this
    TintinLotus.jpg

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    I can't seem to find 1984 or Brave New World anywhere!
    Have you tried Amazon? They're there, in half a dozen editions, for less than ten bucks.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Have you tried Amazon? They're there, in half a dozen editions, for less than ten bucks.
    Or The Book Depository, near-worldwide free shipping at similar prices.

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen.

Almost finished with it- it might be even better than the corrections.

True Grit but not in the mood, right now. So, The Brothers Karamazov. I can't stand reading a chapter of War & Peace but I'm very much interested in devoting hours to finish this equally thick book. A wonderful writer, Dostoevsky is I tell you.

Network Hub
    I've been racing through the Culture books recently and I'm currently on Matter (halfway, no spoilers!), with just Surface Detail and Inversions unread.

I definitely plan to read Surface Detail but I'm less sure on Inversions. Obviously I don't want to read a complete plot summary but everything I can find suggests it's not really a Culture book at all. I've liked all the books so far but as an example, a lot of the Sarl plot so far in Matter is only interesting because it's in the context of the shellworld (which is an idea I'd love to know more about) and how they interact with the other spacegoing races. If that was stripped out, I'd be much less interested in reading the book.

Is Inversions basically going to be the Sarl story with all of the Sursamen related plotting removed and replaced with more feudal conspiracies?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    There's nothing in Inversions which explicitly links it to the Culture universe. I didn't much enjoy it to be honest - I find IMB's style a bit turgid when he's not doing his high-science-fantasy schtick, so I bounced right off the Sarl stuff - but YMMV. I only read Matter once, and a while ago at that, but I recall there's a little more info on the nature of Shellworlds towards the end of the book. And Surface Detail is a good'un.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Inversions is linked into the culture novels, but it is a more subtle link and if it is the techno-fetishtic nature of the Culture that you find attractive then you'll find it disappointing. I enjoy Bank's writing no matter what the subject, I need to reread The Crow Road sometime.

On topic - Just nearing the end of Ian Rankin's The Complaints, not read any of his books before and I'm not really into crime novels, but it has really gripped me, very well-written.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSignalX View Post
    Finished 11.22.63, I'll admit it, first time in a long while, probably since reading Maya Angelou in college that I got all damp-eyed at the end of a book. It's a superbly crafted story. In the afterward, King notes some of his research overlapped with another book "Under the Dome" - so I looked it up as well. Haven't heard anything about it except that it's a much more lengthy story, rivaling "The Stand" in terms of scope. I picked an epub version and have gotten about 20 pages in. So far so good. No wiki spoilers this time, promise.
    Sounds great. I've always liked King's books just because they tend to have a pretty strong emotional and nostalgic undercurrent running through them. He seems like a fantasy/sci-fi writer who just happens to use horror well.

I was gifted 1Q84 for christmas, and I've just gotten to reading it. It started off as a neat mystery novel, but the story takes a strange turn for the icky halfway through. I'm pretty conflicted. I can't find a way to add spoilers, so just jump to the next post if you don't want to know.

HERE BE SPOILERS!

One of the two protagonists ends up having sex with an underage girl. I'm certainly no prude, and this alone would be fine since it serves the purposes of the story, but the circumstances surrounding the event are all engineered to make the protagonist and the reader rationalize that this was an ok thing to do. The man is (magically?) paralyzed. The girl initiates the sex. It is part of some sort of mystical ceremony. The girl has no pubic hair and in general, is presented as being very young, almost in a fetishistic way, yet her stated age is 17. It's like reading a fanfic, except the execution is much better.

To clarify, I don't have a problem with the protagonist doing a "bad thing", but I feel like Murakami is manipulating the reader into sympathizing with the protagonist in a dishonest way by adding all these details. Why won't he come out and say that his character is a perv and just move on?
    So yeah, not sure how I feel about the book so far. Maybe this will make more sense as I get deeper into it. I hope.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Have you considered that 17 isn't underage everywhere and that your conclusion that you're being manipulated into sympathising with the protagonist is erroneous and based on a faulty premise? (that the author thinks it is a: illegal and b: immoral, and is therefore trying to skew your opinion to ignore that, when in actuality it could be perfectly legal where the author is, and legality and morality do not share complete overlap to begin with)

Anyway, recently I finished the Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, and then I very speedily devoured Embassytown by China Mieville. I've now moved on to Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie.

So far, I have enjoyed, or am enjoying, all of them immensely. Embassytown was my first experience of Mieville, and its narration was very interesting, skipping around quite informally. Not really sure what to say about Wise Man's Fear, because I enjoyed it a lot, but it's certainly a book that wouldn't be anything without its characters, because the plot is unrushed and meandering, and you could be quickly bored unless the characters keep you hooked. Since this is the sort of book I enjoy most, however, I was not bored.

Network Hub
    I read Perdido Street Station recently after years of trying to get hold of it - prior to that I'd only managed to find 'Un-London'. Both were really good, though Perdido has a rather...frustrating...end. But one that is obviously intended and fits well enough. I really enjoyed the creativity at work in exploring and fleshing out some rather familiar concepts, as well as the introduction of some completely new ones.

So yeah, be checking out more of Meiville. I have a compulsion to try and read things in publishing order though so embassytown is a ways off :)

It's Un Lun Dun ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    It's Un Lun Dun ;)
    Indeed, and it was a coin toss between whether I got it or Best Served Cold - but I've had my eye on one for a bit longer and I felt its time has come - Un Lun Dun is next on the list, however.

I've got Un Lun Dun and Kraken sat on my shelves. As cool as I think Miéville is, and as much as I'm on the same political wing as him, I've still not gotten around to reading him.

Still slogging my way through The Goblin Corps by Ari Marmell, sadly.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've been thinking of getting The Goblin Corps, how is it?

Kraken is perhaps Mieville's best work date. I think his trio of Bas Lag novels had a lot of potential but the baldy wasted that by trying too hard to impress. Perdido Street Station was a clusterfuck with perhaps the stupidest ending I've seen, The Iron Council felt like a commie propaganda piece (don't get me wrong, I'm leftist myself but I don't like books where any religious or political ideology is romanticized) though it did manage to make me care about the story and the awesome ending more than made up for Perdido's.

Still, I'd heartily recommend them. The world building is very good, Mieville is able to paint a vivid picture of the deep socio-poitical environment of his settings, the characters feel realistic and fleshed-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I've been thinking of getting The Goblin Corps, how is it?
    Repetitive, violent and sweary with a great cast of characters, whilst the story is told via over-long chapters.

It's good, don't get me wrong, but it's not perfect.