Page 32 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Quite a good pick for a first time W40k list.
    I did some research. :)
    steam

has any one read ender's game? im trying to decide what to read and its between taht or reading the wheel of time as i have the first 3 books but never got through the first one years ago
    The Wild Bunch Clan! Steam: TWB*BlueJohn add me

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJohn View Post
    has any one read ender's game?
    Ender's Game as written by this guy?

No. I'll never read it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJohn View Post
    has any one read ender's game? im trying to decide what to read and its between taht or reading the wheel of time as i have the first 3 books but never got through the first one years ago
    The first one's all you need. The rest are paternalist claptrap. (So's the first, but it's not rubbed in your face as much)
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Activated Node
    Slaughter house 5

Quote Originally Posted by SouperSteve0 View Post
    Slaughter house 5
    D'ya like it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squareking View Post
    Eisenhorn omnibus
    Ravenor omnibus
    You won't regret it. I know in the grim darkness of the future there is only war an' all that jazz, but it sure gets tiresome reading chapter after bloodsoaked chapter. Eisenhorn has other things going for it, like exploring Imperial society and focusing on a small group of unorthodox badasses who go from job to job in their spacecraft - an idea we can't seem to get enough of if Serenity and the Ebon Hawk are anything to go by.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    The first one's all you need. The rest are paternalist claptrap. (So's the first, but it's not rubbed in your face as much)
    Yep. And avoid the Alvin Maker series like the plague. Seems like an interesting Americana-magician story, turns a bit hideous before too long. Mind you whatever I think of Card and his views, I did really enjoy Ender's Game.

Slaughter house 5
    I literally just started Man Without A Country. I think if you don't like Vonnegut or at least think there is a lot of sense in his madness, there is something deeply distrustful about you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Almost all of the way through The steel Remains - it was fun, I guess, but I'm not sure I found it hugely memorable.

After that I've had copies of The Ambassador's Mission and The Rogue kicking around since they were released - Trudi Canavan is fairly light (very much a good thing in this case, I'm a little burnt out on heavy stories), but I think she's got a real knack for telling easy to read, fun stories with engaging characters.

Currently trying to muster up the courage to continue Storm of Swords pt 1, for I don't want to get sucked in to a 7 hour binge reading session as I've done in the past. It's jolly good stuff though.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CWalker View Post
    Currently trying to muster up the courage to continue Storm of Swords pt 1, for I don't want to get sucked in to a 7 hour binge reading session as I've done in the past. It's jolly good stuff though.
    You can't avoid it. I blitzed through parts one and two whilst on holiday in Malta/Gozo last year. Tearing myself away from the books to go exploring led to some strange situations due to the tv series having been partly filmed there.
    "Hey wait, this is the entrance to Kings Landing!"
    "This is where Daenerys and Drogo got married!"
    "And this is where stupid Ned Stark got spoilered!"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Stuffed & Starved: The Hidden Battle for the World Food System by Mr. Raj Patel. This is not a new book I think.

I recently noticed the Taiwan translated Chinese version of this English book. Food issue is always a hot topic here. As the title stated clearly, this books is arguing for the unjust food supply system, which leads to starvation problem in poor (or South as termed by Mr. Patel), and health (mainly obesity problem) in the not-so-rich world. I am getting started with its introduction, which argues against the food system controlled by international food cartels unjustly twisted by food supplying system operate.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by westyfield View Post
    "And this is where stupid Ned Stark got spoilered!"
    *chortles*

I'm still laughing about that dude on youtube losing his shit over that.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    *chortles*

I'm still laughing about that dude on youtube losing his shit over that.
    I must have missed that. Did he get angry because it happened, or because someone spoiled it for him?

Network Hub
    Just finished The Heroes. Spoilers below...

Not bad. I skipped "Best Served Cold" and I preferred The First Law but I think thats at least partly because I really liked the character Logen Ninefingers. I suppose I should've been realistic. It was nice to see characters of old make the odd appearance, but it wasn't enough. I also, really didn't like Black Dow's demise. Isn't it meant to be a punishable offence to interrupt a Challenge?

I really want to find out more about what on earth is going on with Bayaz and the others. Presumably that'll be revealed in other books.

Just finished reading The Stars My Destination which I found to be a lovely book.

Then I started A Canticle for Liebowitz and I'm just done with the first part. So far it's good, and it feels like it's a proto-Fallout in some ways.

Next up is either Faucoult's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, as I ground to a stand still on my last attempt.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    D'ya like it?
    Uhh yeah it was interesting. Not one of my favorites but everything about it is interesting. Vonnegut wrote very strangely.

Quote Originally Posted by westyfield View Post
    I must have missed that. Did he get angry because it happened, or because someone spoiled it for him?
    Because it happened

I just finished The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin which was pretty interesting. A really cool viewpoint on a new culture and how it was influenced by the world on which it arose.

Now i've just started Neuromancer and enjoying it so far, pretty prophetic especially given it was written before the internet was widespread and the similarities of the beginning to Blade Runner are quite funny given he said he wrote the first third before it came out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

So, bright blue then...