Page 33 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."
    I rate that line up there with "Call me Ishmael." or "It was a pleasure to burn."

A wonderful way to set the tone for the book.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    A wonderful way to set the tone for the book.
    Was it Neal Stephenson who noted that, in this day of digital inputs, a no-signal defaults to a bright blue?

I had to actually try to find a good source of analog static to demonstrate interference the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by cjlr View Post
    Was it Neal Stephenson who noted that, in this day of digital inputs, a no-signal defaults to a bright blue?
    Except my TV which defaults to black with a box telling you there's no signal.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    I've been reading A Serpent Uncoiled by Simon Spurrier. It's crime/detective fiction, so I think I won't be able to know exactly how good it actually is until I get to the end, but I'm half way through and enjoying it thoroughly.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Quote Originally Posted by cjlr View Post

I had to actually try to find a good source of analog static to demonstrate interference the other day.
    It's always a bit weird when real world technology advances more than the science fiction. :)

But aside from that static pictures are rare these days, I do think it's a great way Gibson chose to start the book.

And it may very well have been Neal Stephenson.

Edit: by the way: did you manage to find a source of static?
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I just read I am legend for the first time and i liked it. Now i'm going to read The Stand,from Stephen King,after that The Road :p

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Just read Vernor Vinge's novella True Names. Predates Neuromancer by about 5 years and describes a virtual world recognisable to any cyberpunk aficionado. Might have to go back to the rest of Vinge's oeuvre now: Rainbows End is the only other one I've read, although I tried A Fire Upon the Deep a while back and struggled to get into it.

Network Hub
    Ahh The Stand, my favourite ever Stephen King book. Must have read it about 5 times.

Currently reading Breverton's Phantasmagoria, though think I might make this a back-burner since it's all small chunks of info and lore. I do have Mievilles The Scar sitting in my slush pile...

Quote Originally Posted by SouperSteve0 View Post
    Uhh yeah it was interesting. Not one of my favorites but everything about it is interesting. Vonnegut wrote very strangely.
    So it goes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Jeremy Paxman's Empire.

I joke that the three ethnicities I embody are united by only two things: Alcoholism, and a hatred of the British. After reading Kwasi Kwarteng's rather apologist Ghosts of Empire, I figured something with less of a selective vision was in order.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    I was under the impression Paxman's accompanying TV show was a bit apologist as well in a nostalgic civilizing mission kind of way. All based on hearsay though I must admit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    I am trying to look for stocks of thrillers The Tomorrow series, currently consisting of 7 books, by Mr. John Marsden.

Australia as background, it's about a group of youths who went to picnic / camping in the country side. When they returned home town they found that Australia was suddenly invaded by a foreign army (nationality not specified, for obvious reason. But I dont like that the recent movie adaptation hinted that it was the Chinese army). Their home town was occupied and all their family members were held in prison camp. This series is therefore about their effort to fight the invaders.

I recommended this series to the only English bookstore in my town and they were pretty interested. Seems like they would stock this so I don't have to order individually, save the ordering cost. Oh Yeah!!

Network Hub
    Last two books that I read were The Hunger Games and Slaughterhouse Five; both fantastic, but in completely different ways.
    I also read V For Vendetta, which was decent, though personally I thought that the more streamlines plot of the film version was a bit better.

Currently i'm working my way through American Gods. I'm not very far into it, but it's quite good, and i'm curious to see how HBO does a certain early scene involving a prostitute (if you've read the book, you know which one) when they adapt it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Well considering its HBO he channel of T&A i can imagine it not being cut at all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Currently i'm working my way through American Gods. I'm not very far into it, but it's quite good, and i'm curious to see how HBO does a certain early scene involving a prostitute (if you've read the book, you know which one) when they adapt it.
    I didn't realize HBO was doing it, thanks for the info. And knowing HBO, that scene will be deliciously graphic.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Currently reading William Gibson's All Tomorrow's Parties, so far proving decent, but difficult to get into. .

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Just finished the First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercombie, as recommended by quite a few people in this thread and I really enjoyed it. Love the way it messed around with fantasy tropes, while remaining a compelling example of the genre.

I will probably give Best Served Cold and The Heroes a look at some point, but I have a couple of Iain M Banks books sat on my Kindle waiting for a read.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Best Served Cold is my absolute favourite Abercrombie book.

I've just started rereading the First Law trilogy after recommending it to a close friend who finally caved in. Glotka is my favourite main character of any book I have ever read.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Well considering its HBO he channel of T&A i can imagine it not being cut at all.
    Oh, I definitely imagine it'll be there (why wouldn't you do that scene if you had the option?), I just can't imagine how they'll portray it. It would probably look completely ridiculous if they just did it straight-up.

I have very much interested in reading the books as well novels also. But,my favorite book is Sherlock Holmes. i read each and every part of sherlock homes. I loved to read it . every page i got surprised when i read it.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    I am trying to look for stocks of thrillers The Tomorrow series, currently consisting of 7 books, by Mr. John Marsden.

Australia as background, it's about a group of youths who went to picnic / camping in the country side. When they returned home town they found that Australia was suddenly invaded by a foreign army (nationality not specified, for obvious reason. But I dont like that the recent movie adaptation hinted that it was the Chinese army). Their home town was occupied and all their family members were held in prison camp. This series is therefore about their effort to fight the invaders.

I recommended this series to the only English bookstore in my town and they were pretty interested. Seems like they would stock this so I don't have to order individually, save the ordering cost. Oh Yeah!!
    I remember reading this series as it came out in high school. I somehow wound up reading only books 2-6 and so missed out on both the opening and closing chapters of the saga. But yeah, it's basically Red Dawn transplanted to Australia in young-adult novel form, minus the irony that Red Dawn was a response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. *snicker* Or perhaps the irony is just of a different kind, what with the coming of the white man to Australia and all. Still, as I recall the novels at least pay lip service to that angle.

The identity of the invaders is an interesting question. Realistically, an invasion of Australia in the current global environment is a gross implausibility. To judge between the various implausible candidates it merely depends on which aspects of reality you most care to suspend. For better or worse, China is probably the least implausible candidate. From a material point of view the United States is the most plausible candidate (diplomatic relations are a comparatively easy thing to sweep aside via hypothetical developments) but the novels rule out that possibility on several counts, most obviously in that the invaders don't speak English.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, and I'm reading The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. I also read Ender's Game recently, at the conclusion of which the thought foremost in my mind was what a colossal wanker the author is. "Oh I'm so uncomfortable writing an introduction to this novel, that's why it's 30 pages long and consists mostly of self-congratulation and the re-printing of actual love letters I have received from admirers." I was actually pleasantly surprised by the novel itself, if I'd first read it when I was 12 I'd probably look back on it fondly too, much as I do Starship Troopers. But the author's own comments leave such a bad taste in one's mouth. =/
    Last edited by Rii; 15-03-2012 at 03:38 PM.