Page 34 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Enders Game should come with a disclaimer: WARNING - Do not read author's comments until after book is finished

I'm nearing the latter third of China Mieville's The Scar. Really loving it! Moar I say.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    Enders Game should come with a disclaimer: WARNING - Do not read author's comments until after book is finished
    It should have a big warning on the cover that says: "WARNING - Do not buy. The author is a dick. A massive dick. You cannot comprehend how much of a dick this guy is. Go buy something else"

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    It should have a big warning on the cover that says: "WARNING - Do not buy. The author is a dick. A massive dick. You cannot comprehend how much of a dick this guy is. Go buy something else"
    And should those same labels be on all Lovecraft books (major racist, hideous anti-semite)? Or Raymond Chandler (mysogynist alcoholic who treated women appallingly)? Hemingway (mysogynist alcoholic)? Harlan Ellison (violent, disparaging man without a shred of decency)? What about the music of Richard Wagner (who's writing, not his music, were quite racist and anti-semitic)? Mozart (incest, sexual perversity)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Actually now reading The Ambassador's Mission, as opposed to just threatening to. As ever, it's one of those books where I start reading and it's page 200 and I'm not really actually done, I'd quite like to just keep going but I have other things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    And should those same labels be on all Lovecraft books (major racist, hideous anti-semite)? Or Raymond Chandler (mysogynist alcoholic who treated women appallingly)? Hemingway (mysogynist alcoholic)? Harlan Ellison (violent, disparaging man without a shred of decency)? What about the music of Richard Wagner (who's writing, not his music, were quite racist and anti-semitic)? Mozart (incest, sexual perversity)?
    Most of them are quite dead though, aren't they? And, of course, one has to apply context to things - not absolve them of what they did, but take it within some context and be thankful that such views are becoming less and less accepted.

OSC isn't and currently contributes financially (i.e. with the money wot he gets from those books) to organisations who seek to restrict/limit the rights of a certain minority, if not completely recriminalise such behaviour.

If I buy Lovecraft, he doesn't get any money from me. If I buy OSC (which I don't), he does.

Solution: buy it from a charity or second hand bookshop.

Solution #2: Don't buy it at all and spread the word.

Ooh I like this game. Let us not neglect Poe who married his 13yr-old cousin at age 27.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    The information bomb - Paul Virilio.

A series of articles written by Virilio. Dense stuff tbh, but given when the writing was done (pre- 1998) surprisingly prescient in terms of predicting the impact of information technology upon society and how the the immediacy of transmission has usurped the physical to a greater or lesser degree.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Ooh I like this game. Let us not neglect Poe who married his 13yr-old cousin at age 27.
    If we can go cross-media, then are we now all banned from watching the films of Polanski (pedo) and Von Trier (nazi/terrible sense of humour, depending on who you believe)?
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Honestly, it's a legit concern because OSC is going to use your money to try and fuck people up. I don't donate to charities I disagree with, or buy from companies whose practices I dislike, but I also pick my fights. If I applied the rule universally, I'd never buy anything from anyone - Which is unsustainable. Why should a creative work like a book or a film be exempt from these considerations, but I refused to buy AC2 til the ubidrm was toned down to a system I could at least live with?

Though in all honesty, this is why I try not to find out anything about any of the authors I like. Better for me, in this case, to live in ignorance, sad though that might be.

Honestly, it's a legit concern because OSC is going to use your money to try and fuck people up.
    But, he's not making money from his deplorable beliefs. He keeps them out of his creative works. I don't think that he shouldn't be allowed to earn a living because of his personal beliefs.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    But, he's not making money from his deplorable beliefs. He keeps them out of his creative works. I don't think that he shouldn't be allowed to earn a living because of his personal beliefs.
    I'm not stopping him? But if he wants to earn a living from me then he'll have to be a lot less shitty to groups I belong to.

He keeps them out of his creative works. I don't think that he shouldn't be allowed to earn a living because of his personal beliefs.
    Does he fuck.

Hamlet's Father? Ender's Game? Pretty much *every* sci-fi book he's written?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    If you're going to stop reading/listening/watching material made by people who are troubled/flawed, you'll have very few works to consume.

Shit, alcoholism knocks out a pretty sizable chunk of literature alone.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    If you're going to stop reading/listening/watching material made by people who are troubled/flawed, you'll have very few works to consume.
    As SG said, it's a case of picking fights. If you're going to be a homophobic anti-gay rights activist, I have every right to tell you to stick your beliefs up your bigoted arse and I have every right to not support you financially by buying your books.

If someone has a problem with alcohol, then that is different. That is a problem which needs some level of intervention, and I cannot provide that. Chances are you'll use my money to get pissed, but as long as you don't hurt anyone in the process, then fine. Do what you like with your life if you choose to be that way, but if you need help then I hope you get it.

There's a difference between being troubled/flawed and a massive dick. OSC is the latter. He's not the former, he knows full well what he's like.

Hamlet's Father? Ender's Game? Pretty much *every* sci-fi book he's written?
    Hamlet's Father, I'll grant you... But Ender's Game? What is so deplorable about it?

As SG said, it's a case of picking fights. If you're going to be a homophobic anti-gay rights activist, I have every right to tell you to stick your beliefs up your bigoted arse and I have every right to not support you financially by buying your books.
    But that's not what you're saying. You're calling for him to be blacklisted, big warning stickers on his works, because his beliefs outside of those works you find disagreeable. Why just stop at OSC? Shouldn't ALL creative works come with a warning sticker listing the creators beliefs, incase someone finds it disagreeable?
    Last edited by Unaco; 15-03-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Hamlet's Father, I'll grant you... But Ender's Game? What is so deplorable about it?
    It, like a lot of his books, does contain at least hints of homophobia. I would have thought the enemies being called "The Buggers" would kinda explain itself.

But that's not what you're saying. You're calling for him to be blacklisted, big warning stickers on his works, because his beliefs outside of those works you find disagreeable. Why just stop at OSC? Shouldn't ALL creative works come with a warning sticker listing the creators beliefs, incase someone finds it disagreeable?
    Oh no I made a slightly exaggerated comment based on a not-too-serious suggestion by another poster that means I must really believe it should have a bright pink cover that tells people not to buy it

It, like a lot of his books, does contain at least hints of homophobia. I would have thought the enemies being called "The Buggers" would kinda explain itself.
    Hints of Homophobia huh? As in, that's what someone has interpreted from it? And that's how we should judge creative work... from what people have been able to interpret from it? And are these hints of homophobia shown as positive? Or are they just featured in the book?

And "The Buggers"? Oh no, OSC made a reference to the Insect like qualities of the Formics (from Formicidae - Ants) in their name... a race that is, ultimately, misunderstood and painted in a very favourable light... and you see it as being self explanatory homophobia.

Hints of Homophobia huh? As in, that's what someone has interpreted from it? And that's how we should judge creative work... from what people have been able to interpret from it? And are these hints of homophobia shown as positive? Or are they just featured in the book?
    How the crap do you have "positive homophobia"?

And "The Buggers"? Oh no, OSC made a reference to the Insect like qualities of the Formics (from Formicidae - Ants) in their name... a race that is, ultimately, misunderstood and painted in a very favourable light... and you see it as being self explanatory homophobia.
    Yes, I'm aware of that explanation. Are you also aware of the word "buggery"? As in "to bugger" someone? Are you aware that it was a word used in criminal law to define homosexual acts between men, amongst other "unnatural" penetrative acts? Considering OSC's views and beliefs, I would hardly pass it off as anything closely resembling coincidence. They are shown to be attacking humanity, are they not? Let's see... the Buggers are attacking humanity. Hmm... Yeah, you don't see it?

He knew that word. He knew its history. He didn't use it for the fun of it. He. Was. Making. A. Point.