Page 38 of 114 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    but I've got the next SOIAF book ordered. Is it at the third one that I've read I should expect it to tail off a bit?
    Depends, Storm of swords was split into two books in the UK, both are excellent. Feast for Crows is probably the weakest in the series and ADWD is a little bit laboured in terms of plotting (but on the plus side has lots of Tyrion).

So end of book four, unless you got ASOS in one volume.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Yea I think Storm of Swords was my favourite one probably the 4th and 5th ones go a bit downhill. I still enjoyed them though.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Reading The Collaborator by Gerald Seymour now, but I've got the next SOIAF book ordered. Is it at the third one that I've read I should expect it to tail off a bit?
    A Feast for Crows (book 4) is the one that seems to drag on a bit. A Storm of Swords (book 3, but it's in two volumes) is probably my favourite after the first book. It's where shit gets real, as the urban youth would have one say.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I finished the second Mass Effect Novel : Ascension and ordered the next in line, can't wait to continue reading.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiYeon View Post
    the alchemist: pualo coehlo
    'tis a good book. One Christmas many years a go a friend of mine bought a copy for everyone he was giving gifts to.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Yeah, I'm two-voluming it for Storm of Swords which initially confused the bejesus out of me as I didn't know it had been split.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

I finished Best Served Cold Last a couple days ago, decided to move onto The Heroes yesterday.

*SPOILERS*
    I loved Shivers' inverted character arc in BSC. Normally a protagonist (although he's not the 'main' character, he's a close second) character grows, normally an author works hard to make an unlikeable character likable (hell he did it with Jezal and Glotka to a degree in First Law trilogy). Here the character's ideals erode until he's left as a sort of scarred and bitter husk of a man. Only criticism is that he felt a little bit Ninefingers mk II (goes away to a foreign land, is optimistic about becoming a better person, ends up worse/relapsing into violence).

Apparently BSC received criticism on its release for having no characters who were likeable. I find that bizarre, although all of the characters are morally dubious, they're all likeable in their own way. Even Morveer a preening little rat of a man, is sympathetic, because he's an emotionally retarded narcissist who is incapable of empathy or seeing himself through anyone else's eyes.

---

Got a kindle for my birthday (21st Feb) and realised I've read 6 full-length books since then already, including 4 Joe Abercrombie, Ender's Game (I know, boo hiss etc.) and Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. There are probably a few arguements about how Kindles are evil, because they're tied to a single retailer and they lack the 'soul' of a traditional book, but I fucking love mine, just makes the process of buying and reading books so simple and quick.
    Last edited by Jockie; 23-03-2012 at 11:34 AM.

And on Twitter

Currently reading:

The End of Eternity -- Isaac Asimov
    Patterns of Empire: the British and American Empires, 1688 to the Present -- Julian Go
    The Science of Good and Evil -- Michael Shermer

On a vaguely related note, curse Amazon for ending free shipping to Aus/NZ!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I finished Best Served Cold Last a couple days ago, decided to move onto The Heroes yesterday.

*SPOILERS*
    I loved Shivers' inverted character arc in BSC. Normally a protagonist (although he's not the 'main' character, he's a close second) character grows, normally an author works hard to make an unlikeable character likable (hell he did it with Jezal and Glotka to a degree in First Law trilogy). Here the character's ideals erode until he's left as a sort of scarred and bitter husk of a man. Only criticism is that he felt a little bit Ninefingers mk II (goes away to a foreign land, is optimistic about becoming a better person, ends up worse/relapsing into violence).

Apparently BSC received criticism on its release for having no characters who were likeable. I find that bizarre, although all of the characters are morally dubious, they're all likeable in their own way. Even Morveer a preening little rat of a man, is sympathetic, because he's an emotionally retarded narcissist who is incapable of empathy or seeing himself through anyone else's eyes.

---

Got a kindle for my birthday (21st Feb) and realised I've read 6 full-length books since then already, including 4 Joe Abercrombie, Ender's Game (I know, boo hiss etc.) and Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. There are probably a few arguements about how Kindles are evil, because they're tied to a single retailer and they lack the 'soul' of a traditional book, but I fucking love mine, just makes the process of buying and reading books so simple and quick.
    What? Morveer, Cosca, Day, even Monza are all likeable characters in their own way. You might not -like- them, but they're wonderfully entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Currently reading:

The End of Eternity -- Isaac Asimov
    Oh my oh my. My favourite Asimov book.
    I remember starting reading it before going to sleep. Next thing I know it's 8 in the morning and I finished reading it..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Currently reading The Scar by China Mieville and there is something about Mieville's books that really capture my imagination with there really detailed worlds and very interesting conspiracy plots. This one is no different though kind of struggling a bit since I don't know much about ships, and it really pores into the detail of the land and the world a bit to much at times. But still loving it and it might just inspire me to do another image for it for my work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    That's exactly the reason why I liked Best Served Cold so far the very best.

I *like* the characters, and Monza is just sheer awesomeness.

Also, I squealed a little bit in happiness when Gollancz accidentally revealed the main character of Abercrombie's next novel coming out in September. Ooooh yes.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Currently reading The Scar by China Mieville and there is something about Mieville's books that really capture my imagination with there really detailed worlds and very interesting conspiracy plots. This one is no different though kind of struggling a bit since I don't know much about ships, and it really pores into the detail of the land and the world a bit to much at times. But still loving it and it might just inspire me to do another image for it for my work.
    That was my last book; really enjoyed it, even moreso than Perdido Street Station. I think the Scar ties everything up much better and relies less on a completely random event (i.e. the release of the Dream-moths) for its narrative. Plus I quite like the main narrator being a largely unsympathetic snooty cold fish

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm two-voluming it for Storm of Swords which initially confused the bejesus out of me as I didn't know it had been split.
    It's definitely the way to go, though. A Feast for Crows was too big, it was uncomfortable to read it without resting the book on something. Having finished that, then gone straight on to 1Q84 (which has books 1 and 2 in the same volume and a separate third book), it was a relief to move on to a more reasonably-sized book like Century Rain (which, by the way, is bloody brilliant. About 3/4 through it now and hot damn, it's so good. Read it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    Also, I squealed a little bit in happiness when Gollancz accidentally revealed the main character of Abercrombie's next novel coming out in September. Ooooh yes.
    Whose that then?

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Whose that then?
    If you do not wish the spoiler of the main character (and it's quite the spoiler), do not click THIS LINK. Otherwise, feel free to squeal with me. But do finish The Heroes first.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    If you do not wish the spoiler of the main character (and it's quite the spoiler), do not click THIS LINK. Otherwise, feel free to squeal with me. But do finish The Heroes first.

/squee !!!

I'm finishing up Alan Moore's magnum opus From Hell. Been enjoying it immensely so far; it's a complex and rich book about Jack the Ripper and the Whitechapel murders. A very refreshing outlook on the subject that mixes fact, fiction and conspiracy theory to explore not only the crime and characters surrounding the events, but many other facets of Victorian era London (and beyond).

It's hard really to say anything about a book of this scope and do it justice, primarily because it covers so much ground and so many topics and in such anal detail. But it's never boring, in fact it's totally engrossing. It's literally choke full of those moments of utter brilliance that make Mr. Moore such a towering presence in the world of comic books.
    Last edited by ado; 24-03-2012 at 02:09 AM.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    @theblazeuk

kind of agree with you but i would say that when she first arrives at Armada i was kind of like she complains to much and wanted it to follow the scientist that sounded more interesting but now its picked up and i dont have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    On a vaguely related note, curse Amazon for ending free shipping to Aus/NZ!
    Have you heard of book depository? You probably have but that's how i get most of my books here in NZ, free shipping and they're pretty cheap too. Prices seem to have gone up since they started showing NZ currency but maybe I was just being confused by exchange rates in the past.

Also just about to start The Scar, it's sitting beside my bed right now.