Page 59 of 120 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 2384
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    Just finished re-reading Neil Gaiman's Sandman and am getting ready to re-read its spin-off, Lucifer. If you are a fantasy fan and haven't read Sandman, it comes with my highest recommendation for content, style, and accessibility.
    One day I will buy the absolute sandman edition.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I just finished Snuff and must say I found it the weakest Discworld novel yet. Part of me can't help but wonder if it's related to pterry's condition. If so I'll make the saddest sadface ever.

Now I'm on to A Storm of Swords.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I just finished Snuff and must say I found it the weakest Discworld novel yet. Part of me can't help but wonder if it's related to pterry's condition. If so I'll make the saddest sadface ever.

I thought unseen academics was the worst...quite liked Snuff if not quite as much as I'd hoped. I do love that he got the idea from playing Morrowind and wishing he could just talk to the cave denizens of Tamriel though, and even moreso that someone made a mod for him to do just that.

Currently reading Iron Council by China Mieville. Sick mind sometimes, a corpse golem! But then a sound golem... interesting worlds, wouldn't want to live there, not so swayed by the characters but the crazyness is compellingly imaginative.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Yea, you convinced me to give this series a go. Have ordered Gardens of the Moon over the internet, it should be arriving in a day or two.
    Good luck with it... hope you get as much enjoyment from them as I did. Let me know how you get on. And if I can give you a few pieces of advice...

Be ready to 'flounder' a little, at the start. It's a vast world the 2 authors have created, and it was never going to be easy to write a 'painless' introduction to it. Persevere and a lot will be revealed. Not all. But definitely a lot. It'll at least make a lot more sense, anyway. If you get the same (Bantam paperback) edition of Gardens of the Moon as I did, Erikson's foreword covers this.

It's proven to be a good test for readers and the series... either people drop it halfway through Gardens, or something clicks with them at around that point, and then they stick with the series. When I first started, I was a little concerned... it wasn't clicking, I didn't know what to think, I thought it was trash almost. Then, into the 2nd half of the book, something clicked. And yeah... it's probably now my favourite series of books, next to Kandell, Schwarz & Jessell's "Principles of Neuroscience".

Gardens of the Moon also has a slightly different structure and flavour when compared to the other novels. It's partially because it is the 1st book, and so some groundwork has to be laid with it. It's also because it was written and rewritten over the course of about 9 years, was once a film script, and was at one point a comedy about the regulars of the Phoenix Inn. Don't judge the whole series by the 1 book. It's a great book in my opinion, but a little unique amongst the series.

Persevere. It's a series were you begin to settle in, with the characters etc. of Book1, and then Book2 starts an entirely new story line, with new characters, in a new continent. You then start getting attached to them, and Book3 jumps back to the 1st storyline. Then Book4 goes back to the 2nd and starts tying the 1st storyline in. Then Book5 jumps to an entirely unknown/unmentioned continent and introduces a 3rd storyline. The next few books then work to tie the 3 storylines together and show the big, overall storyline that has been behind it all. But it's a series that will serve the 'big picture' at the expense, sometimes, of the individual books. Things like... some enigma introduced in the 1st book won't be concluded until, say, the 8th. You'll be left with questions at the end of a book, things won't be resolved, until a later book, or not at all (so far, in what has been published).

Edit: I apologise, once again, for writing too much about this series. There's a character in it called Brevity. I should probably think of her whenever I come to write about it.
    Last edited by Unaco; 01-09-2012 at 09:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    I read the Forgotten Legion trilogy by Ben Kane. It's fairly entertaining, though maybe it's a bit too long; after a while it starts to seem a little implausible all these bad things keep happening to the main characters. And I'm not quite sure the attitudes of the characters is wholly convincing either, seems like some of the things they feel are a bit opposite of what would be natural. But the stuff about Roman battles and such is interesting.

Now I'm reading the Black Company series by Glen Cook. I got them a good while ago, probably due to this thread, and I think I started on the first book back then too, but it seemed messy and confusing. I tried again yesterday and now I'm halfway through the second book. It's a weird universe, but it works rather well.

The eye of the world! Wheel of time series! For the win!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post

I definitely remember some really weak discworld books - way weaker than Snuff - so I wouldn't go holding such beliefs just yet. I could never finish Carpe Jugulum, for example.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I enjoyed Snuff. Much better than Making Money and Unseen Academicals.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    I could never finish Carpe Jugulum, for example.
    Funny. For me, that one gets better every time I read it. I do remember being a bit underwhelmed the first time, though.

Might matter which order you've read the books in. Carpe Jugulum was one of the first I read, so that formed my image of the witches. When I read the earlier books, the witches seem off, sort of 2 dimensional compared to the later books.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    I enjoyed Snuff. Much better than Making Money and Unseen Academicals.
    I dug Making Money. But I must say Unseen Academicals would be my second least favorite of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Might matter which order you've read the books in. Carpe Jugulum was one of the first I read, so that formed my image of the witches. When I read the earlier books, the witches seem off, sort of 2 dimensional compared to the later books.
    The first I read was Guards! Guards! I believe, back in the early 90s. After that I think I pretty much read them in the order they were published from The Colour of Magic on.
    Last edited by Fumarole; 02-09-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Network Hub
    My Discworld reading is nowhere near absolute but I'd probably rate Carpe Jugulum below Unseen Academicals. Making Money was a disappointment, but after really liking Going Postal (despite some foibles), it probably couldn't be helped.

All this Discworld talk makes me want to read my battered copy of Reaper Man again. My 3rd discworld book but my absolute favourite- simply the right book at the right point in my life. Strange how such a thing can colour your opinion permanently.

In terms of what I've read, Rivers of London and the rest of the PC Grant books. Supernatural police department, but fairly grounded in reality. That's at least in part due to the fact that there are two people in the department and the senior officer has effectively osticised himself from the rest of the "Magic community" allowing drip feeding of information. As a Londoner I very much appreciated the references to real locations etc. Has my stamp of approval, whatever thats worth.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Chasm City, by Alastair Reynolds. It's set in the Revelation Space universe but it's not part of the core trilogy. It's nice to fill in the background and explore some of the locations from the series but I'm not sure it'd hold the interest of someone who hadn't read at least the first two from the trilogy already.

Finished Ghosts of Ascalon, the first Guild Wars 2 novel. Very light read, but enjoyable and also a good source of lore for the universe of the game. Picked up Edge of Destiny as well, the second novel, as this is the perfect time to read it while the game is fresh and the history ties in quite nicely with the in-game events.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yesterday I finished the last of Traitor Queen, Trudi Canavan's most recent book. It was a nice little conclusion to everything that happened with a few sad notes, so I'm pleased with it - it lived up to everything I wanted with her writing.

now I'm onto The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Since it's the first book in a series called "The Gentleman Bastards" I expect great things.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    now I'm onto The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Since it's the first book in a series called "The Gentleman Bastards" I expect great things.
    It starts out slow but stick with it...it truly is worth it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    First Game of Thrones book. Never paid attention to them until after I saw the series and I'm quite slow at reading through books (games take most of my time up) so it took me until after season 2 to buy the first one. Really enjoying it.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    It starts out slow but stick with it...it truly is worth it.
    Speaking of which isn't number 3 out soon? (Actually wikipedia is telling me it's September 2013!)

Also, the second book was a bit of a let down for me. I thought they'd do more with pirates, and Locke seems to become a bit ineffective- which is fair enough plot-wise, it just didn't make for the best reading. Don't think that's spoilery.

Activated Node
    I just finished The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. Highly original and very good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    3rd rock from the sun,i really like Dick's performance,really good actor :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    3rd rock from the sun,i really like Dick's performance,really good actor :D
    3rd rock from sun rocks. but thats wrong thread!