Page 72 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 2035
    I'm with Kelron, Catch-22 is my 'favorite book evar.'

I just wrapped Trust me, I'm lying to you by Ryan Holiday, which is a pretty interesting look at the deplorable, lying and explotative nature of the online "news' and blogging scene. Tad over-dramatized and has some "look how awesome/horrible I am!" in it, but overall a good read.

After that, I started on Bones, Blood and Butter by Hamilton, only a chapter in so can't say what I think of it yet.
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Obscure Node
    Patriot games is the book that starts the Jack Ryan saga. It is a great book and is also referenced in "The Hunt for Red October" which released prior to Patriot Games.I've read all Jack Ryan up to "The Bear and The Dragon" ,lost interest after that.It is a really great series that started the Military fiction genre.
    I am currently reading " The Terror" by Dan Simmons. Just finished "Ender's Game" .

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Just started The End of Faith by Sam Harris. Harris has quite an eloquent writing style.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Obscure Node
    Three cup of tea is the book which I am reading this time I must want to share it's arther name. The arther name is "David Oliver Relin" I think he has a wonderful story in this book I really appreciate this book. I must suggets you to read this book atlist one time after that we can scale ourself I thing. Which you have in our sociaty.

Last edited by Carver; 15-01-2014 at 07:51 AM.
    Have a wonderful day!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Wargaming for Leaders : Strategic Decision Making from the Battlefield to the Boardroom by Mark L Herman and Mark D Frost.

The authors introduced themselves as war game designers for the US military for 20 years and illustrate in the book the concepts of formulating strategies for running businesses just as they had been formulating strategies over battlefield. The experience the authors cited was the wargaming they developed during 1991 for the US war effort against Iraq.

I'm reading The 13th Enumeration by William Struse. Oh man, what frustrating book. Its about an Iranian business man's plan to bring down an Illuminati like order, a new water-separation technology that could give freshwater to the whole world and a conspiracy involving a prophesy in the Old Testament about the coming of Jesus. Its basically a Christian's Da Vinci Code. It so desperately wants to be that but gets bogged down in meaningless numerology, contrived symbolism and wholly obvious coincidences. It wants to be a Christian Da Vinci Code so much it even copies The Da Vinci Code's awful pacing, dialogue and pomposity. The characters are bland and there are several inconsistencies within the books own internal logic that can be very distracting. The author does go overboard with how things escalate and how much impact small news items would have on the world. Which is a shame because the actual story is interesting and very well researched. I'm atheist myself but it doesn't feel like I'm being preached to by the author. I can't say I hate the book, I'm genuinely enjoying it, but it makes me groan and roll my eyes at times or get frustrated by some poor writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    So, I was looking at Torment Kickstarter and saw there a stretch goal with a Bearded Man. I decided to look into his books to learn if he is actually a good enough writer. So I picked up( aka pirated) his breakthrough work Name of The Wind, I'll buy it if I like it I promise, I'll show a scanned recipe in this very thread. Right now I'm not sure if I like it though. It reads like a little bit more violent Harry Potter set in a low-fantasy setting. As usual, some bad guy kills everyone and leaves one little boy alive... who is a child prodigy and already at an age of twelve is an expert at acting, music, history(you westerners call it liberal arts, lol) but also chemistry, alchemy, physics and some basic magic( manipulation of objects by linking them together). Yeah, poor Lord Death is doomed. Dis is gonna be a huge bloody revenge power trip for teenage boys, I feel. Just what I need in my life right now.

PS It's written with bits of some good humour and didn't bore me. Promising.

China Mieville - Perdido Street Station. Not much to say. Frankly, I didn't like it. It's not bad but just not my cup of tea. Just like Dishonored game, it's a hodgepodge of everything author considered cool set in a now-generic setting. No, I dont want that steam-diesel-wheasel-whale-magic-xeno-bio-slime-punk London. Ffs, stop it already.

Not gonna continue reading Mieville.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    The Lock Artist by Steve Hamilton

Can't be objective about this book, I share enough traits with the protagonist (loner, quiet, drifting, natural talent for drawing, obsession with a technical craft) to read each page with an intensity I haven't felt for a book in years.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

I read Angelmaker this week. It was fun, and I was gripped and entertained, but it would benefit from more editing. The villain is better developed and more interesting than the one in The Gone Away World, but the protagonist is comparatively far less so (and more classically British). The nature of the doomsday device is fundamentally flawed and ultimately much less satisfying than I had anticipated.

Just finished The Year Of The Flood by Margaret Atwood

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by roryok View Post
    Just finished The Year Of The Flood by Margaret Atwood
    Can you recommend it as an introduction to her work? I always wanted to read The Handmaid's Tale, but still haven't gotten around to doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    The Handmaid's Tale is excellent, its continued controversy a telling sign of its prescience. I haven't read any of Atwood's other work, though if she were to do a Huxleyesque Handmaid's Tale Revisited I would be all over that.

A Universe from Nothing - Lawrence Krauss

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    The Handmaid's Tale is excellent, its continued controversy a telling sign of its prescience. I haven't read any of Atwood's other work, though if she were to do a Huxleyesque Handmaid's Tale Revisited I would be all over that.
    Thanks for the link. Well-meaning parents seem to always forget that not exposing your children to a work of fiction dealing with sex, suicide and the negative aspects of religion doesn't mean your children will never develop sexual problems, suicidal tendencies or a bias against certain religious beliefs. Banning "controversial" books from school instead of reading and discussing them? Bad idea altogether.

Anyway, looks like The Handmaid's Tale would be a really good starting point to Atwood's work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomTangent View Post
    A Universe from Nothing - Lawrence Krauss
    I just started that last week.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Finished A DAnce Of DRagons such an Improvement on A Feast Of Crows not just because the characters are more interesting but they actually do something and not just sit and see the bleak world for pages and pages. One of my problems of this series is that the narrative problems are kind of creeping up on it, I mean I loved the fact that the 3 books you kind of didn't know where it was going and it just did crazy things that were really interesting but if this is a 7 part series and were on the 5th book yeah there should be some end point at least that I can think thats going to happen but no Martin just keeps complicating things adding even more characters when they really should be paring down now. I really have a feeling the ending isn't really going to be all that satisfying. But then again its not all about the ending and the journeys of these characters are very good and I think I will like the series because of that.

One of my other problems with this book is that Dany seemed to have regressed as a character a little bit i nthe 3rd book she took a lot of action and defeated people but in this she kind of makes not very good decisions and her attitude is like oh I'll marry this husband and now its his kingdom I don't get a say. Which annoyed me I wanted to be like "Shut up and go to Westoros with your dragons and kick there asses"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Might wanna put that in white text.

Anyway I have a question for those of you who have read the series, I don't want too much detail but I read a spoiler and I was just wondering if someone could clarify how much of a spoiler it is:

Someone was talking about Margaery Tyrell and mentioned how she is doing quite a lot better than Cersei in book 5. Is this something I should be worried about knowing too much? I'm not sure how much it gives away. And now I'm not sure if I want to know.

End spoilers. Oh also, I've only read Clash of Kings. I don't really know what I'm asking because someone answering it could make it worse. Maybe it's best someone just ignore this :p
    Last edited by Sketch; 13-04-2013 at 01:50 AM.
    steam: sketch

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Might wanna put that in white text.

Anyway I have a question for those of you who have read the series, I don't want too much detail but I read a spoiler and I was just wondering if someone could clarify how much of a spoiler it is:
    Don't worry, you haven't really been spoiled.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post

Not gonna continue reading Mieville.
    You can try The City and The City or The Kraken. Those are quite different in tone and setting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yeah The City and The City is probably my favourite because its a really clever idea and its done in an appealing detective/noirish way that Im always game for.