Page 79 of 114 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 2278
    Quote Originally Posted by Labbes View Post
    The Princess Bride. Which is one of those books/movies that everyone besides me seems to have read/seen.
    You know, Princess Bride is one of the few cases where I really think the movie is actually better than the book.
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Obscure Node
    Currently Reading

The Bank Shot (Dortmunder #2)
    Donald E Westlake.

Network Hub
    All the Princess Bride discussion - I watched this for the first time myself about 3 weeks ago. Loved it. Instantly in my favourite movies of all time and if I'd watched it as a kid, I would have been utterly blown away (rather than mostly). So much fun

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Scanner Darkly is fantastic. The way the character just slips into watching and reporting on himself without any sense of the crazy is great. Also I think his intent with the novel was pretty sincere. You have to read 'substance D' as a metaphor for drug culture as a whole (and also bear in mind it was written in the early 70s) and how it gradually consumes everyone involved in it.
    Finished it now. All in all I enjoyed it although it did make me oddly uncomfortable. Horror and the macabre I generally find to be dull but the mechanics of your brain breaking down is beyond unsettling.

I really enjoyed the bit where he has to create a copy of a key and make good with a locksmith. It's a task a child could pull off but in his drug-addled brain it was a truly epic ordeal.

I like to think that the officer Fred persona (and all the high tech stuff) was entirely a creation of the rogue left side of his brain. Maybe that's what the author originally intended but then added more to make it a more conventionally interesting sci-fi tale.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I'm currently reading Enforcer (the Shira Calpurnia omnibus) by Matthew Farrer. The Emperor protects (the Alaskan wilderness):

The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

That's some pretty amazing graphics for a book.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    All the Princess Bride discussion - I watched this for the first time myself about 3 weeks ago. Loved it. Instantly in my favourite movies of all time and if I'd watched it as a kid, I would have been utterly blown away (rather than mostly). So much fun
    I have to wonder at all the people walking around with a Princess Bride-sized hole in their favorite movies ever list. This should be required watching to sign up for an internet gaming forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    That's some pretty amazing graphics for a book.
    I turned it up to eleven.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Finished reading Elantris last night. Not Brandon Sanderson's strongest work (I believe it is his earliest published work?) but still quite good, and I wish he would go back and continue the story.

Books like that remind me why I am really sick of George R R Martin. Sanderson's work tends to cover some pretty dark subjects, but it generally stays light-hearted and focuses on keeping the reader interested in the plot, not just wallowing in gore. Elantris was basically a book about religious wars and hell on Earth. The Mistborn Trilogy is actually REALLY dark and depressing when you think about it, but Sanderson makes a point of at least making sure there is a glimmer of hope in almost every scene. It says something when, in Mistborn, a really likeable main character dies and the reader's first thought is "Holy shit, they just might stand a chance after all...". You are horrified and saddened because of the suffering, but it never wallows.

Another author like that is Brent Weeks. He goes a fair bit darker (most readers/viewers think "The Red Wedding" was messed up. Weeks has multiple scenes that rival that for the "Holy shit, this is fucked up" effect, and one that I personally feels blows it out of the water), but he also never does dark for dark's sake and generally tells a hope-filled story.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Elantris is Sanderson's first published work. The Emperor's Soul, one of his recent novella's, takes place in the Elantris universe, though it has little ties to the story.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Elantris is Sanderson's first published work. The Emperor's Soul, one of his recent novella's, takes place in the Elantris universe, though it has little ties to the story.
    Oooh, I'll have to give that a look. Thanks.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Just finished INHERITANCE by C. Paolini. I cried.
    GW2: Eknurr (Lvl 80 Engi), Elaina Mischievous (Lvl 80 Ranger), Neeaha (Lvl 80 Mesmer), Bald Carl (Lvl 80 Guardian)

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Koobazaur View Post
    You know, Princess Bride is one of the few cases where I really think the movie is actually better than the book.
    Having read the book last week, I'm torn. I loved both, the movie is great but the book is just as funny in a slightly different way. Do both it's the only way.

Just finished Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Very, very very good. Creepy, touching and tense - I would have finished it in one sitting if not for the need for sleep before work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    It's not a book, but I found it very exciting and feel the need to talk about it: a 2008 draft of Interstellar. It's not the final version as Christopher Nolan rewrites it to incorporate one more idea.

tl;dr (no spoilers): a small wormhole opens up somewhere beyond Jupiter. It leads towards the infernal center of another galaxy. In a post-apocalyptic future, a small expedition is sent through the wormhole to find a new home. What follows is one hell of an adventure as they travel through time and dimensions, dodging various space threats. Kip Thorne is one of the writers so all the mindblowing space science is correct.

The first act is rubbish and the characters sort of suck. There's an obvious Spielberg influence here - the boring, broken family obsessed Spielberg. Hopefully Nolan rewrites this portion.
    But he'd better not touch the rest because the adventure is amazing. It sort of reminds me of Arthur C. Clarke's style. It's really enjoyable.

I don't think Nolan is the right director. There's way too much CGI and action (not shootbang action). Some characters are robots. It's an incredibly beautiful spectacle, with Avatar eye-rape potential.

A Dance With Dragons, I already dread the prospect of waiting for the next book.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman - Thought it was pretty brilliant, short easy read, wonderful prose.

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon.

Without doubt the most difficult read I've ever come across.
    "Oh, evolution. It wasn't meant for everyone."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Some short stories from Lovecraft,really creepy stuff even if you're reading during the day! :D

I just started reading Cosmos by Carl Sagan, something I've been meaning to get to for a long time. I cannot help but hear Sagan's voice in my mind when reading the book. Funny that.

I'm some 70 pages in the Warded Man by Peter V. Brett. It's pretty good, but somewhat predictable. Hopefully spins into more than just the generic fantasy hero myth.
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!