Page 84 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 2320
    I'm reading the German translation which does have an accurately translated title. I'll never understand why translators feel the need to butcher titles.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    These are interesting news for book-lovers - Amazon is going to bundle print and ebooks, and it should work retroactively:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23953258

I used to look down on the Kindle and similar stuff, but now that I have a baby daughter, being able to read in the dark without having to physically turn pages and hold a heavy book in one hand is extremely helpful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    These are interesting news for book-lovers - Amazon is going to bundle print and ebooks, and it should work retroactively:

I used to look down on the Kindle and similar stuff, but now that I have a baby daughter, being able to read in the dark without having to physically turn pages and hold a heavy book in one hand is extremely helpful.
    The only reason I've not got a kindle so far is that I'd need to buy 2, and that sort of financial investment just isn't worth my while. I like sharing books I enjoyed with my girlfriend, I don't want to have to buy her a kindle as well to maintain the ability. Maybe when they become sufficiently ubiquitous and you can get a kindle for £20 free with another book, but not before.

These are interesting news for book-lovers - Amazon is going to bundle print and ebooks, and it should work retroactively.
    This would be great news for me if I wouldn't buy most of my books at my local book shop anyway. Nice staff beats a checkout button any time.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    City of Thieves by David Benioff. Mostly one I forgot to mention earlier; my aunt gave it to me some years ago, but I just reread it and it's really quite excellent. The author is very good at creating images in the reader's mind, maybe because he's normally a film scriptwriter. My mother had the same reaction; it leaves you with images that you remember years after reading it.

It takes place during WWII, the siege of Leningrad, and is apparently an at least somewhat true story the author's grandparents lived through. Perhaps that's also a reason the images are so vivid.

Currently reading The Doorkeepers by Graham Masterton, who is one of the most underrated mainsteam/horror/thriller writers out there. This one has a kind of steampunk vibe, quite ahead of its time.
    "Oh, evolution. It wasn't meant for everyone."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Just finished Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy and am now reading The Conquest of Happiness by Bertrand Russell.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Picked up Children of Fire by Drew Karpyshyn at the weekend. I'd forgotten it was just released and found a copy of it wandering around the sci-fi fantasy section of my favourite book store. For those unfamiliar Karpyshyn worked at Bioware as a writer and story planner for Baldurs Gate 2, Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights and Mass Effect 1 and 2 before leaving the company to focus on his own original trilogy.

This is the first book in that series and so far it's off to an enjoyable start.

As a side note, I don't think I can ever make the change over to something like a kindle. I just like book shopping too much. It's just great to walk around a bookstore, pick something off the shelf, sit down for a bit and maybe read a chapter or two before deciding to buy, while other like minded people do the same things. I've held a kindle before, read some stuff on it and it's just not the same. They're just not as good as real books. The weight of it in your hand, the cover, the pages.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    The only reason I've not got a kindle so far is that I'd need to buy 2, and that sort of financial investment just isn't worth my while. I like sharing books I enjoyed with my girlfriend, I don't want to have to buy her a kindle as well to maintain the ability. Maybe when they become sufficiently ubiquitous and you can get a kindle for £20 free with another book, but not before.
    Sorry if this is something you've already considered or isn't applicable here (but may be of use to others, but you can get the Kindle app for any Android or iOS device, which has the exact same functionality as a Kindle device proper.
    I have a new book out. Fancy some cynical fantasy comedy? Check it out:
    http://amzn.to/1oVrKlx

Read my other stuff: http://tessstenson.blogspot.co.uk/
    I also contribute to http://www.coffeebreakgaming.co.uk/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar

Marvel have been doing this with a fair chunk of their comics for about maybe a year now. DC have followed suit with "combo packs", but Marvel just do it if you want it or not. It's resulted in a community where people who buy printed copies are selling the AR codes from their copies to people who want the digital ones at a discounted price.

I can see the same happening unless Amazon lock the kindle version to the account that bought the book for ownership. Marvel aren't really in a position to do that.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

As it is now, when publishing an e-book with Amazon, you get a choice of whether to enforce DRM on your all book's download. I assume that Amazon will make DRM a requirement for all books taking part in this new initiative.
    I have a new book out. Fancy some cynical fantasy comedy? Check it out:
    http://amzn.to/1oVrKlx

Read my other stuff: http://tessstenson.blogspot.co.uk/
    I also contribute to http://www.coffeebreakgaming.co.uk/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Stense View Post
    Sorry if this is something you've already considered or isn't applicable here (but may be of use to others, but you can get the Kindle app for any Android or iOS device, which has the exact same functionality as a Kindle device proper.
    It's certainly useful to know, but I don't have anything like that either. I appreciate the information in any case. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    As a side note, I don't think I can ever make the change over to something like a kindle. I just like book shopping too much. It's just great to walk around a bookstore, pick something off the shelf, sit down for a bit and maybe read a chapter or two before deciding to buy, while other like minded people do the same things. I've held a kindle before, read some stuff on it and it's just not the same. They're just not as good as real books. The weight of it in your hand, the cover, the pages.
    The shopping and browsing is something I definitely miss, but at the same time I find I also really like just having a huge list of "to-read" at goodreads. Every time I see a new book that interests me, I add it to that list. And when I finish a book, I skim the list. I miss out on the browsing (and the cute bookshop girl who probably thought I was a sick and twisted pedophile due to accidentally buying a particularly violent comic TPB, a book of romantic poetry, and a disney kid's book in one trip...), but I gain the convenience of being able to get a new book whenever, rather than having to plan a trip to the bookstore. There are a few serieses where I ended up buying the first few and not liking the first book, just because I usually would get annoyed when I finished the first book and immediately wanted to continue.

The tactile feel is also a thing, but I find I mind that a lot less since I was the kind of person who would buy mass market paperbacks anyway (I abhor hardcovers as they are just too unwieldy to read when passing time). That being said, I also really appreciate that the Kindle Paperwhite has a surface that feels like paper (seriously, it is awesome), and I have a leather case for it that opens like a book. So it isn't the same, but it is definitely similar.

Neither is perfect, but I find I much prefer the ebook approach. Especially because now I don't feel horrible about marking up books and can highlight passages I really like. And the ability to read on my phone then resume on my kindle (and vice versa) is really nice for waiting in line. If it is the kind of book with frequent transitions, I can just read a passage while waiting in line, and sync when I get home through the powers of "the cloud".
    Last edited by gundato; 09-09-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The Untold History of the United States of America. A book tries to paint American history with gray as opposed to the black and white of American history textbooks. There are a lot of things that may be revelatory for the American public: the role that the US has played in destabilizing, subverting and demolition of sovereign nations to further its agenda since even before WW1. It paints Woodrow Wilson as a zealot, Roosevelt as a pragmatist and Truman as racist imbecile. I think non-americans, especially those from Asia and Eastern Europe would be familiar with a lot of things that are stated like the American's dropping nukes at an already beaten Japanese Empire as a display of American might. Still, the book makes a very depressing read, makes you want to go outside and hug some orphan kids.

Finished with The Gunslinger, book one of The Dark Tower series, a very atmospheric and very gripping. Stephen King has this quality of never going overboard with his prose, he keeps the story under a tight leash and never meanders about. The simple text, straightforward story were a welcome read after the masochistic undertaking that was The Book of the New Sun. The fantastical depiction of gunslingers is well done. I heartily recommend the book to anyone with an interest in post-apoc worlds and Western fantasy.

I'm reading "the chair". A book about the design of said object. The fun thing is that is written by a professor of mine and I can't help but read it with his voice and intonation. It makes me laugh every time I realize that I'm doing it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    After a break I'm back onto my rereading of the Discworld books (which will culminate in reading the most recent few which I hadn't got around to). Just finished Feet of Clay and onto the Hogfather (which, if memory serves, is one of my favourites).

I finished Discipline & Punish which was very insightful. Kinda difficult to talk about casually.
    I also finished The Devil In the White City, a non-fiction book about the Chicago world exposition of 1893. Incredibly gripping and highly recommended. Now I picked up By the Sword: A History of Gladiators, Musketeers, Samurai, Swashbucklers, and Olympic Champions, a nom-fiction book about, well, swords. Mainly to ridicule people in online discussions but given the name and subject matter I fear it might drift too much into pop history.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I'm reading "the chair". A book about the design of said object. The fun thing is that is written by a professor of mine and I can't help but read it with his voice and intonation. It makes me laugh every time I realize that I'm doing it.
    I... can't think of a pun with chairs or sitting. Damn.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

You're sitting this one out then?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    You're sitting this one out then?
    This is a book thread! Couch your puns in sofastry or get out!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Decided to try Brandon Sanderson and am reading "Warbreaker" at the moment. So far it isn't bad at all, I must say. I can understand why people loved him finishing Wheel of Time - despite some flaws, he does seem to write much better than Jordan ever did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stense View Post
    As it is now, when publishing an e-book with Amazon, you get a choice of whether to enforce DRM on your all book's download. I assume that Amazon will make DRM a requirement for all books taking part in this new initiative.
    Thankfully, Amazon DRM is dead easy to remove with a simple Calibre plugin. Then again, unless their files convert nicely to epubs, I am very much not interested. Sodding kindle supremacists.