Page 88 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 2299
    I've got a passing awareness of the ME books, thanks to the series' wikia - will reading the books making stabbing Kai Leng even more satisfying than it already is?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Reading "A Scanner Darkly" by Phillip K. Dick.

I knew nothing about the book, thought it was some sci-fi or cyberpunk or somesuch.

After the opening chapter going for pages about someone seeing bugs everywhere and spending a week putting them in jars only to realize the jars are empty when he was finished, I realized this book is about hallucinogenic drugs. Autobiographical, then.

I think quite a few of PKD's books were semi-autobiographical but I believe Scanner is the most. He even refers to friends in the epilogue who were killed or affected by drug use. The film version is pretty damn trippy - plus Keanu Reeves' "unique" acting style lends itself well to someone out of his mind on drugs.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Samorai View Post
    I think quite a few of PKD's books were semi-autobiographical but I believe Scanner is the most. He even refers to friends in the epilogue who were killed or affected by drug use. The film version is pretty damn trippy - plus Keanu Reeves' "unique" acting style lends itself well to someone out of his mind on drugs.
    Holy cow, there is a film? Thank you.

Yeah, its a rotoscoped film, so filmed in live action but redrawn in a slightly fluid looking animation style. Plus its got Robert Downey Jr in it and Bobby DJ is always worth a watch. Trailer!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I'm reading Industry and Empire by Eric Hobsbawm and enjoying it thoroughly. There are various parallels to the current recession which is interesting and the analysis of why the British Economy started to fail from the 1860s onwards is fascinating even if it's nothing new to me.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43089.Industry_and_Empire

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I'm reading Remembered Blue Earth by Alastair Reynolds, and it isn't very good to be honest. Shame, as he's one of my favourite "hard" sci-fi authors. I'm almost 200 pages in and it's tending to boring, characters aren't very interesting or sympathetic. I'm not saying it's terrible or even bad, it just doesn't compel me to keep reading.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Well, finished The Plague Forge. Yeah... I am probably done with the author. The resolution was pretty hokey and half-assed and when Rapey McRaperson from the first book died they actually had the gall for the messiah character to monologue on how Rapey really wasn't all that bad of a guy and didn't really do anything wrong and was just a bit extreme in his methods.

Yeah...

In better news, I now start reading The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch, a book I have been waiting for for a while.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    In better news, I now start reading The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch, a book I have been waiting for for a while.
    What a coincidink...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    What a coincidink...
    What a coincidink x2

Finished Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road' a few nights ago. So, so bleak. And it made me cry, so there's that. Started Blood Meridian last night.

Obscure Node Precious Sufferance's Avatar
    Started reading The Lies of Locke Lamora about a week ago, read about 50 pages without becoming to interested. Picked it up again two days ago, and since then I have finished that book as well as the sequel, Red Seas under Red Skies.

While the plots are interesting enough, things do have a tendency to magically fall into place because the author wants them to. At some times things are just too convenient for me not to notice, while at other times the entire universe seems arrayed against our protagonists. While I can often live with such things in literature I feel that in this case it's a bit too obvious that luck is just a tool used to move the story in the wanted direction.

The element that really dragged me into the books is the characters and locations. Our protagonists are pretty much a bunch of really loveable rogues. Ambition, comraderie and sharp wit rules the day, but we are not left with shallow characters. Each one of the main cast has a masterfully crafted set of motivations and traits that simply make sense. The dialogue is absurdly unrealistic in the wit on display from all participants, which in my eyes is a fantastic thing. Lastly, the locations of where the stories unfold are extraordinary in their own right, especially Camorr.

Just started on Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley and so far it's quite a different fantasy book, focusing more on the higher-end Thanes doings, politics and the world, rather than slaying orcs and dragons. Reminds me of old Polish history books :p

Enjoying the change of pace from the typical fantasy fare, but also having a wee bit hard time keeping track of the multitude of ("bloods"), races, cities and their relations. Just a matter of getting used to it I guess; at least the book provides a map + cast of characters upfront which is nice!
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Precious Sufferance View Post
    Started reading The Lies of Locke Lamora about a week ago, read about 50 pages without becoming to interested. Picked it up again two days ago, and since then I have finished that book as well as the sequel, Red Seas under Red Skies.

While the plots are interesting enough, things do have a tendency to magically fall into place because the author wants them to. At some times things are just too convenient for me not to notice, while at other times the entire universe seems arrayed against our protagonists. While I can often live with such things in literature I feel that in this case it's a bit too obvious that luck is just a tool used to move the story in the wanted direction.

The element that really dragged me into the books is the characters and locations. Our protagonists are pretty much a bunch of really loveable rogues. Ambition, comraderie and sharp wit rules the day, but we are not left with shallow characters. Each one of the main cast has a masterfully crafted set of motivations and traits that simply make sense. The dialogue is absurdly unrealistic in the wit on display from all participants, which in my eyes is a fantastic thing. Lastly, the locations of where the stories unfold are extraordinary in their own right, especially Camorr.
    I think this sums up quite precisely why I love the gentleman bastards series.

Bram Stoker's Dracula. There's an amazing quote in the introduction of the book from a 1950's critic who describes it as "... a kind of incestuous, necrophilious, oral-anal-sadistic all-in wrestling match". I'm excited now.

I'm sorry to be a bore here, but do you guys mind if I hijack the thread briefly to be an awful self promoter? It's just that one of my books, The Ghastly London Ghost Stories Omnibus, is free at the moment to download at Amazon. Just thought I'd mention it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghastly-Lond..._gw_p_t_2_QRB8

Any way, I've been re-reading Dune (for about the millionth time) lately as my boyfriend has started them and this has sparked my inner Dune fan-girl into action. It's brilliant, my favourite book ever.
    I have a new book out. Fancy some cynical fantasy comedy? Check it out:
    http://amzn.to/1oVrKlx

Read my other stories: http://tessstenson.blogspot.co.uk/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    By all means please self promote! I just grabbed your book there. Thanks for alerting me :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Yep, I got it as well. Thank you!

Finished Jefferey Deaver's Carte Blanche this weekend. It's an entertaining read altogether, but 007 comes across like Sherlock Holmes a bit too often when predicting his enemies' every move all the time which leads to a certain lack of suspense. Also, there's an awful lot of brand name dropping all over the place.

Next book on my list is Markus Heitz' Collector.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Thanks for the support guys. I really appreciate it, hope you enjoy the book. If I can push my luck further and be more annoying, my first book (a dark comedy fantasy novel) is also available for a free download until Friday. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Gatekeep...3134436&sr=1-2 I'll shut up now and never speak again. Ta.
    I have a new book out. Fancy some cynical fantasy comedy? Check it out:
    http://amzn.to/1oVrKlx

Read my other stories: http://tessstenson.blogspot.co.uk/