Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar

So, er, iPhone games?

Before you bring out the tar and feathers, hear me out, please.

My little baby girl was born last week, she's amazing and so cute and so poopy, and, as expected, my life turned upside down. I work from home, which is good because I can be here all the time to raise her with my wife. But my main casualty has been PC gaming - no more free time for that.

However, I do have some free time when I'm watching her / helping her sleep in her room. I can usually read something when I'm not too sleepy (ha!), but other than that the Phone Of Eyes could perhaps provide some entertainment.

That being said, the only mobile games that kept me interested for more than 5 minutes were New Star Soccer, King of Dragon Pass and Rimelands (a simple but compelling RPG). I'm kinda bored of the first two, and have been playing only the last one, so suggestions would be welcome.

Some restrictions:

- games need to be turn-based and/or pausable and/or very slow - they need to be playable with one hand and require very little dexterity, pretty much;
    - games need to be playable without sound;
    - RPG/strategy preferred, but I wouldn't turn down an excellent puzzle or adventure game;
    - I don't mind paying if the game is really good, so no need to mention only free games. I dislike IAPs unless they're really, really optional.

Thanks for helping a new dad out!

Network Hub
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown works pretty well on iphone. That's the extent of my knowledge.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I don't know how playable Helsing's Fire would be one-handed, but it's one of my favourite games, period, let alone favourite puzzle games. Smart, stylish (if RockPaperShotgun made iOS games they could very well come up with something like this) and very, very funny. While it's not turn-based and it is timing you it's not particularly harsh about it unless you're playing for score - plus if you've worked out a solution but it's taken you forever you can duck out to the level select screen, then go back in and re-attempt that particular puzzle using what you just worked out.

Battrix is a simple RPG from the guys who made the Half-Minute Hero games, with you as Some Random Dude rescuing a continent that's fallen into the sea, tile by tile. Battles are quick, pacy turn-based things, you can pause at any time and there's no time limit I know of. Probably could play this one-handed.

Rune Raiders is another simple RPG, with you moving a party of heroes up the level, taking turns to manoeuvre them around obstacles, get into the best position to attack enemies, etc. Simple rules, bright, colourful cartoon setup, not much pressure. Could probably play one-handed.

Warhammer Quest is a little more complicated, and you definitely would need both hands, but if you wanted a halfway house between the casual stuff and full-on XCOM it might be good. Not for anyone who wants a straight port of the board game and nothing else, but if you can put up with some weird design decisions it's easy to get into and looks gorgeous, plus you can easily pause it/put it aside - and if you've got time to go back to the main menu it does iCloud saves very well.

Hope one or more of those is some use!

Network Hub
    I quite liked Judge Dredd vs Zombies, probably the best game I've got hold of yet for my ipod. Middle Manager of Justice is ok but one of the ones at the poor side of F2P, bit of a pain seeing so much out of reach.

Drop 7 -- a deceptively good falling-block puzzle game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Plague Inc is a fun, very basic strategy game but with a cool theme.

Pen and Paper RPG is great for an iPhone game, not so much on PC but the grindy bits are more fun on a portable platform somehow...

The Creeps is by far the best tower defense I've ever played*, IAP are limited to extra levels which are worth buying once you get through the crap-ton in the main game

*tied with Defense Grid and Defender's Quest

Thanks, guys. I also found this article by one Alec Meer with other good suggestions (although, sadly, he got my hopes up when he mentioned Avernum for the iPhone, which would solve all my problems - but that was a mistake, since it's iPad only).

I've been enjoying Helsing's Fire and Warhammer Quest (even though the font on this one is incredibly tiny on the iPhone). I also got Chaos Rings to see if I'd finally like a jRPG (answer: so far, not really, but I'll persevere for a bit. Monster design is interesting, at least).

I'm considering Football Manager as well - I've never been able to actually learn the full game since it was too overwhelming, but perhaps a simplified mobile version might do the trick.

Keep the suggestions/opinions coming! Much appreciated.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    GBA emulator with Advance Wars.

King of Dragon Pass is a must-have in my opinion :)

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Skhalt View Post
    King of Dragon Pass is a must-have in my opinion :)
    Brilliant game, and it'd be perfect for mobile gaming.

Thanks, but I mentioned KoDP in my original post :)

Also, I've been having a lot of fun with Talisman: Prologue. I know Alec was a bit down on it for not having multiplayer, but since I have never played the boardgame I don't mind that much (although I can see how much better it'd be with more people), and it's engaging enough to keep me entertained for a good while. And all the dice rolls make for unlikely victories and infuriating defeats, so that's fun as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Thanks, but I mentioned KoDP in my original post :)

Also, I've been having a lot of fun with Talisman: Prologue. I know Alec was a bit down on it for not having multiplayer, but since I have never played the boardgame I don't mind that much (although I can see how much better it'd be with more people), and it's engaging enough to keep me entertained for a good while. And all the dice rolls make for unlikely victories and infuriating defeats, so that's fun as well.
    You might want to try Elder Sign if thematic dice-rolling is your thing.