Network Hub

Decent, yet cheap joystick for novice flight sim player

I'm thinking of giving a few flight sims a try, despite never having played any before (although always wanting to, on some level), and I'm looking for a joystick to buy that will be good enough for flight sims for a beginner, but still remain cheap. Somewhere around $60 is my budget.

I was looking at the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (which is on newegg right now for $35) and that seemed pretty good deal to me, but I don't really know if that's good enough for flight sims?

Any advice would be welcomed :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I have this - mine is a T16000M, which as far as I can tell is the same thing. Don't know what's up with the model names.

It's a nice solid stick, the base is heavy and doesn't shift around on my desk, and the movement is very precise. The base buttons and throttle slider could be better, but they're not bad.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    You can't go wrong buying the thrustmaster Kelron recommended, it's very good. The slightly less expensive T. Flight Stick X and T Flight Stick X HOTAS are also quite nice, and I can personally attest for the quality of the Flight Stick X, although they are a bit less reliable due to the merits of their design (T 16000M uses magnetic sensors for the X and Y movements, like all the mid range and high end sticks do).

Dunno if the Logitech is a good choice or not, as I have not used it, but I am quite sure it can do quite well. I do have the older Logitech Attack 3 sitting on my desk here, which is a good piece of tech, and since the 3d is basically it's successor, I am sure it will do fine as well.

tl;dr - any joystick from a well known brand (Logitech, Thrustmaster, Saitek/MadCatz) will do well. I personally recommend Thrustmaster.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I am partial to the Saitek ST290. Got it a few years back for about 25 bucks and it serves me well in everything from IL-2 on fairly high realism settings to Freespace to Mechwarrior.

Has a few less buttons than what you said, but it is incredibly comfortable and very responsive. Very firm on each axis, good button placement, and very comfortable (I rest my hand on it while I am watching movies or youtubes. Which sounds very phallic...)
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    I have this
    I did some pretty extensive research last year and came to this conclusion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarxe View Post
    I'm thinking of giving a few flight sims a try, despite never having played any before (although always wanting to, on some level), and I'm looking for a joystick to buy that will be good enough for flight sims for a beginner, but still remain cheap. Somewhere around $60 is my budget.

I was looking at the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (which is on newegg right now for $35) and that seemed pretty good deal to me, but I don't really know if that's good enough for flight sims?

Any advice would be welcomed :)
    I've got this one and it's generally good, but:-

1. No force feedback
    2. On war thunder, cliffs of Dover etc, sometimes the input needs to be recalibrated between flights (in the same session on the same plane) e.g. The pitch axis only gives 1/2 of what it should be.

Not game breaking (as the stick is cheap) but is annoying to keep resetting!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I did some pretty extensive research last year and came to this conclusion as well.
    I nearly got that one, but then suffered a blow to the head and got an X52 Pro instead. I decided having a throttle was more important than financial responsibility.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I nearly got that one, but then suffered a blow to the head and got an X52 Pro instead. I decided having a throttle was more important than financial responsibility.
    Once you use the profiler that thing is amazing though. Ever since I got the X52 I cna't live without it.