Lesser Hivemind Node

Is there an EASY way to watch other region DVDs on windows (8)?

A few years and PCs back I read up on and messed around with all the stuff necessary to get region-free dvds to work on a PC. (RPC1/2 firmware, region free apps, region free players, etc..) but i didn't bother on my new(er) pc.

But my parents accidentally bought me a couple of region 1 dvds and I can't find anyway to make my real dvd player region free.

I'm out of date with region free play on PC these days, so I'm wondering if there is a nice simple easy all-in-one solution. Or will i have to spend hours googling and installing firmware and dodgy looking apps from dodgy looking sites?
    I don't think I can be bothered with all that these days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    My first thought.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Your first (and easiest) possibility is getting AnyDVD by SlySoft. The other one is making a Linux boot CD/DVD (or even a linux partition) with the region free plugin for VLC and booting that when you want to watch the DVD. Although I guess that will only work if you have two drives.
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I was under the impression that VLC wouldn't overcome the issue of drive firmware. Was i wrong? As i understand it your drive can only change regions about 5 times before getting locked to the final region. I know VLC doesn't enforce regions, but i didn't think it got around the lowlevel issue.

Does AnyDVD get around that issue?

Does anyone know the situation on Linux? (hadn't thought of that!) if i'm switching regions on linux is that going to run down the region counter?

I don't have many region changes left on my drive, so i'm reluctant to test it out in person.

PS/ Thanks for help.

Yes, what you said about drive changes is entirely correct. Changing the drive region is the thing that you want to get around by using AnyDVD/Linux.
    AnyDVD basically removes all copy protection from DVDs, meaning you can watch/burn/rip DVDs of any region you like.
    Under Linux, VLC has a plugin that does the same thing. Without this plugin, you can't even watch DVDs on Linux because of licensing reasons or something. Since it's not "needed" on Windows, it's not available there.
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

My experience of AnyDVD is that I had to flash the firmware of the DVD drive before it would play any region.

Obscure Node
    I have been using AnyDVD for many years now and it circumvents the region settings just perfectly. No need to flash the DVD drive or anything, which may or may not have been mere luck. If you don't want to go Linux, AnyDVD definitely should do the trick.

But, for the love of god, NEVER use the "speed control feature" AnyDVD comes with. In theory, it should "brake" the DVD drive when it needlessly speeds up your disc, preventing the landing-airplane noise we all know and love. What it did for me was crashing the disc with a crunching noise, sending my old CD drive into nirvana. That was years ago, mind you, and will probably not happen with today's AnyDVD - I'm just too scared to try again =)