Computer chips that emulate the brain

I found this pretty interesting:

In April, the University of Southern California made the headlines when it announced that researchers there had created a functioning synthetic synapse circuit using carbon nanotubes. Well, today IBM unveiled a new class of experimental computer chips that are designed to emulate the human brain's abilities for perception, action and cognition. According to the company, "The technology could yield many orders of magnitude less power consumption and space than used in today's computers."
    Full article Here

I like how whenever I hear about technology like this I always think about robots acting like people but IBM seems to only think about traffic lights.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Oh yeah, its pretty soon when we are going to get fully funtioning and anatomically correct robots.

I sure as hell hope not, but then japan has been doing creepy shit with realistic robots for years now, so I suspect you may be right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11732995

needs killing with fire is my first reaction.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    The first thing I have in mind is: Skynet

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    I always found it funny that the movies in which a 'Skynet' happens basically exist in universes where no science fiction novels or action movies were made with a 'Skynet' plot.

Sorta like how the protagonists in horror movies act like they've never seen a horror movie before.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Sorta like how the protagonists in horror movies act like they've never seen a horror movie before.
    I see what you mean. Just like in the CG movie Biohazard Degeneration a cop was surprised while a female zombie he shot ambush him. As audience of course I know what a zombie is capable of, and my first think is, come on, how stupid this cop is.

I guess we have this feeling only because we think we know what intelligence is all about, but then the next moment we start to suspect that we actually do not. For instance, we used to think that emotion is opposite to rationality. Being emotional is the same as to lose rationality. But then we have patients who lose their ability to feel emotion (say, brain damage due to car accident), and as a result obviously loss their ability to make decision as well. Without decision making we dont even talk about rationality or no rationality. Then we know, that emotion actually plays a very crucial part in rationality. And can computer simulate emotion, too?

BTW, it would be interesting to see how it works out in military. Playing shooter game for years, I always wonder how such AIs work in real battlefield. While we talk about UAV we always think of remotely controlled vehicle. What if they can act on their own, soldiers only need to monitor them in stead of actually controlling them? Our military has a very famous kind of tactics, called in "Chiglish" term "People Mountain People Sea". Basically we would try to flood an enemy position by massive infantry attack. I heard that during the Korean War those American GIs fired their heavy MGs till the MGs melted down, and their positions were overrun by a massive flooding of our PLA soldiers. With such new technology America can respond to such tactics with their new "Robot Mountain Robot Sea" tactics (not limited to UAV of course, but land and sea vehicle also).
    Last edited by squirrel; 19-08-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Hmm I'm beginning to think more and more that the Skynet thing is a bit overexcagerated and i don't think robots would want to kill us. Its a bit to much work for not much outcome. Either they will coexist with us or try and make a spaceship to find a planet more suitable for them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Hmm I'm beginning to think more and more that the Skynet thing is a bit overexcagerated and i don't think robots would want to kill us. Its a bit to much work for not much outcome. Either they will coexist with us or try and make a spaceship to find a planet more suitable for them.
    With any hope robots will realize what we should have long ago: War, without fail, is more costly than what you gain from it.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    With any hope robots will realize what we should have long ago: War, without fail, is more costly than what you gain from it.
    the loss of soldiers lives vs hundreds of hours of entertainment in books, games and films.

talk about dying for art. there probably have been skynet like AI out there, but they took one look at how we treat the sacrifice of millions of lives and became so depressed they deleted themselves.

Does anybody else ever find themselves rooting for the Demented Robot's logic in sci-fi films?

"Beep, logical conclusion: humanity must be destroyed to save the world. Whirr beep".

Cos my reaction to that is "Sound thinking! Yeah, give us hell, Skynet!"

Yeah but I have that reactin to any villian in films to be honest. You are doing this because humanity is a disease and should be wiped out. Good point! Carry on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Yeah but I have that reactin to any villian in films to be honest.
    even the yellow guy from sin city?

nice article. i hope they will get better. I am waiting to have my brain transferred to a machine. F--- my inferior biological vessel.

Since i had no idea what the hell that movie was about I can't really say...

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    nice article. i hope they will get better. I am waiting to have my brain transferred to a machine. F--- my inferior biological vessel.
    but a mechanical body would require more maintenance than a human body, or rather human bodies do that sort of thing naturally and robots don't. and you can still get sick with a computer virus, then there is rust, constant upgrades, the threat of somebody remotely accessing your brain and overwriting your personality, lack of senses like touch or smell, the constant threat of magnets...

you do get to be super strong though, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    but a mechanical body would require more maintenance than a human body, or rather human bodies do that sort of thing naturally and robots don't. and you can still get sick with a computer virus, then there is rust, constant upgrades, the threat of somebody remotely accessing your brain and overwriting your personality, lack of senses like touch or smell, the constant threat of magnets...

Remind me of the infamous animation "Ghost of the Shell". Of course, there is an important background for the story: recovery from the harsh environment after the nuclear Third World War, that many people are left handicapped. And in the TV series "2nd GIG", it was shown in a battle in Korea that cyborg soldiers enjoy unchallenged advantage over soldiers who were purely fresh and blood. And interestingly, the story exactly focuses on how to fight computer virus inflecting computers of mechanized bodies.

Obscure Node
    Remind me of the infamous animation "Ghost of the Shell". Of course, there is an important background for the story: recovery from the harsh environment after the nuclear Third World War, that many people are left handicapped. And in the TV series "2nd GIG", it was shown in a battle in Korea that cyborg soldiers enjoy unchallenged advantage over soldiers who were purely fresh and blood. And interestingly, the story exactly focuses on how to fight computer virus inflecting computers of mechanized bodies.
    Randomly started watching Ghost in the Shell again, amazing series + movies imho.

I'm surprised that nobody has linked to this : http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08...napse_project/

Yeah, let's simulate the brain of a fiercely independant creature that has already enslaved large portions of the human race.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Network Hub
    You mean the series of British military Satellites?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post

all true.

but you can mod your chest. Imagine a fishtank in your belly. How cool would that be?