Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Automating your professions

I know it's quiet in here but I've got a question to ask and thought a few people might still be playing and have some input.

In one of my "oh that's a good idea' moments I made a userscript which automates my professions - it will simply watch the Gateway and when jobs are done it will gather the result and then start another job.

I was planning to upload it to userscripts.org - there are a couple of scripts there already but I've taken a slightly different tack with mine - but before I do that I wanted to ask

a - whether people feel this is an 'honest' thing to do
    b - whether they'd be interested in doing it.

TIA

Activated Node
    Seems like a neat thing, but maybe a bit close to botting? The customer support is seriously lacking, so I'd be wary..

In any case, I dont receive any AD from completing tasks through the gateway, so I'll pass for now.

I've been looking at the gateway AD tasks and I think the problem is that they give you normal diamonds, not the unrefined ones, when completed through the gateway but they don't update the total in your inventory immediately (It may actually require you to log-in to the game before they show up or there could just be a delay, not sure) so the increase doesn't show up where you expect it.

I kept an eye on my totals last week and I was definitely getting the correct amounts once I was looking at the amount in game. The double AD bonus may not work when using the gateway but that's fairly infrequent.

With regard to the script itself I personally think it sounds perfectly sensible given amount of attention and time that would be required to get efficient use out of your crafters, but it would probably be worth checking on the official forums to see if there are any policies about it. Wouldn't want to get banned just over crafting.
    Last edited by Mana_Garmr; 08-07-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Used the word "time" far too often.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've completed a million jobs in the gateway and I've always received (rough) AD and cash and items (even Alchemy stuff which is a known bug)

I have one char who, apart from levelling to 10, hasn't played the game at all - he just stands at the trade vendor or wanders to the post box and he's LOADED so it much work!

As for whether it's botting - yes, it's botting, but given the utterly tedious nature of the job I don't think you can be blamed for doing it. It's not "playing a game", it's being made into a performing dog...

Also - I defy them to know you're doing it. Userscripts are not (easily) detectable, I don't tamper with the information passing to or from the server (I tried and I COULD do that - in fact I reckon it's outright exploitable as they don't sanity check it at all but I DON'T do that). I just add bits of UI to the client side so you can tell it to "Make 3 of these, 10 of those, 12 of those and then just an infinite amount of those" and it does it whilst you do something else (you just leave the browser tab/window open - you can use other tabs/windows just fine).

If you were to sit at your computer, carefully starting and completing tasks using alarms setup to remind you when you need to do stuff - you're as likely to be banned as you are using this script.

In fact, given that I could put some random delays here and there, you're LESS likely to be banned for it - well, unless you leave it running 24/7 (and frankly, the gateway is so shonky you'll be disconnected well inside that time and I cannot - for obvious reasons - auto-log-you-back-in - so...)
    Last edited by trjp; 09-07-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    p.s. here's an example from my testing, earlier

nwauto1.jpg

The checkboxes next to the trades are those you'd like to do some work in (so you can easily swap jobs - tho you can select more than one if you wish)

The boxes next to each task are the amount to make - any number > 0 will make that many, anything else other than "-" will make infinite amounts...

I'm just fiddling it now so that gather/process tasks will always execute in the right order (even tho their order in the webpage is alphabetic so "Forge" is ahead of "Gather" but "Make" isn't)

The "GO" button top right enables/disables the processing bit (so you can manually do stuff - then enable it - then disable it and manually do stuff. It's smart enough to work from wherever you leave it (I think)
    Last edited by trjp; 09-07-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I've completed a million jobs in the gateway and I've always received (rough) AD
    Huh, you're right. I could swear it worked the other way but I just did a quick check and I got rough diamonds. I guess I must have been hitting the refine button automatically after invoking without even noticing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'd hoped to have released this by now but the Gateway was so flakey yesterday I gave up trying to do anything (constant disconnects) - and today is maintenance day - and even if the trades list appears (rare) you cannot actually start a trade task 9 times out of 10 (which my script can deal with but I, personally, cannot!)
    Last edited by trjp; 10-07-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm late, as ever, but I got around to uploading a semi-stable version of this

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/173185

Now comes the backlash, I guess. I discussed this on Reddit and whilst everyone liked the idea, everyone also felt soiled at the idea of "botting" the game - which I could understand if this part of it wasn't so bloody dull

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    It's very telling that a thread about not playing the game is the most active in this subforum.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    It's very telling that a thread about not playing the game is the most active in this subforum.
    I think the fact that the guild was allowed to rot is at the core of this - Neverwinter is a decent-enough game but it doesn't really encourage social play at the best of times so by making the guild inaccessible for at least a month (no officers onine so no recruiting) we lost any chance of getting people together at all.

Hey ho

Activated Node
    Looking forward to the singleplayer-grind they're adding sometime soonish. Sometimes I just want to clickclickclik on something, and Neverwinter's clicking is rather enjoyable.

Regarding the gateway and rewards - apparently I receive the AD as refined AD, without it affecting the daily limit. The AD within the gateway doesnt increase either. Oh well, I dont use the stuff anyway..