Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    Ah, in my defence I need a new prescription for my glasses :P
    Now you really do know 'what it would be like to be a bat'! <--- cheeky Thomas Nagel reference

You need to get someone in place asap to man the welcome channel - as far as I know, no one came forward last time when Quanta asked (there certainly weren't any replies to his post). If it continues to be as popular as previous CtAs, it is essentially a full-time job, as there are always new folk trickling in. I'd suggest getting at least a couple of people in to do it, maybe taking it in shifts even, so they get a chance to play. Let them know in advance what the general plan/comms setup will be etc.

Re: temporary members that we kick - we've decided against that in the past, as we are an open outfit who welcome all RPS members. Whether that changes in the future is a different matter, so bring it up at the outfit meeting and see what folk say

yeah, even though Im not playing this time, we desperately need someone else to do the welcome thing this time. thats what I said last time, and sin ended up doing it anyway.

seriously. that is no fun.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

I volunteer to do an hour on intro, as long as I get to actually play the game before/after?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I believe I volunteered to run the welcome channel for the next CtA, in the aftermath of the last one. Running shifts sounds like a really good idea. I wouldn't mind running an hour or two earlier on, then maybe hopping off to lead a squad or platoon as needed later on.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    seriously. that is no fun.
    Don't get me wrong, it would be lovely for the welcome channel people to get to play and have some fun too, but more than anything it's about having a proper welcome for new players. A CtA could be someone's first introduction not just to the outfit, but to planetside 2, or even to organised multiplayer gaming as a whole.

Most people who come in just need an invite and a pointer to where they need to be, but there are people who come in who are very new, who don't know how to get into a squad, where their correct mumble channel is, how to sort out mic problems or change the mumble overlay etc. We should be aiming to get invites and "tech support" done swiftly so that our new giraffes can get into the laser shoots as soon as possible, and to do it in a friendly, RPS sort of fashion.

my plan was to run shifts, but noone else volunteered, and I was too busy leading us to eternal glory. (and failing)

Also, please please PLEASE dont go back to one size fits all like previous CtAs. I got the feeling the entire outfit performed great with it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

One size fits all? How do you mean?

sorry, I missed a word there: one size fits all platoons.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Still don't understand. One size fits all how?

as far as I remember, I was the first one to introduce different platoon styles. before it was one size for all platoons: 4 split squads per platoon comms.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

I can't really comment on how the different platoon comms worked in-game (since I barely got to play), but it was a bitch having to repeat for hours the what the comms were all about to everyone in the channel. I had to explain it to the regulars/semi-regulars as well as the newbies!

I do totally understand the appeal of it though, but from my end it looked as though people often didn't really get to choose per se, but rather had to take a slot in whichever squad actually had some slots open, since it was so busy.

Either way, whatever happens with the comms, just make it as easy to follow and as self evident (in both the squad and mumble channel names) as possible so that it guides new folk to the right places.

Okay, that's what you meant.

We can achieve flexibility rather easily anyway, especially with the comms setup that's up for a trial tomorrow. If that works out, then it's just up to whatever distribution of people the leaders of each platoon want. All four squads in one channel, split all the way or anything in between. Or even split into more than four groups, maybe, for dedicated tank/air groups, I dunno. Just as long as there's someone to represent the platoon in the "war council", any kind of setup can be achieved, really.

If we know beforehand who's going to lead, and what system they want to run, channels can be made ready to suit their needs.

I've passed some details onto the guys at Planetside 2 Europe as well as our logo, we may have the biggest CTA yet!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    I can't really comment on how the different platoon comms worked in-game (since I barely got to play), but it was a bitch having to repeat for hours the what the comms were all about to everyone in the channel. I had to explain it to the regulars/semi-regulars as well as the newbies!

I do totally understand the appeal of it though, but from my end it looked as though people often didn't really get to choose per se, but rather had to take a slot in whichever squad actually had some slots open, since it was so busy.

Either way, whatever happens with the comms, just make it as easy to follow and as self evident (in both the squad and mumble channel names) as possible so that it guides new folk to the right places.

Id be happy to help out at some point with intros, but the thing is, there is too much info to sift through on the fly in the intro page.

It would be brilliant to have a short bulleted list specifically for use as the CTA intro checklist, because then it would just be a case of running through these, and it would be the same each time.

The intro as it is is great for people to run through themselves, but its just too much to read through and talk about quickly, especially when people want to get going.

Im not sure, there might be this in existance already, but it would certainly make me a lot more willing to run through it and take some of the responsability off of others.

Sino, since youve done this the most on CTAs (I believe?), how much of a pain would it be for you to knock up a list (almost quotable) of what you have said/done/directed people to do in the past?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Don't know if a proper introduction is needed as they join CTA. They aren't immediately being promoted to Giraffe or anything. Expect that the welcoming commitee basically needs to answer questions about setting up mumble and joining the platoon, keeping an eye on mumble text chat and generally being friendly.

That said, if there are any hot tips to pass on, Sino should be able to tell us.

Yeah outfit intros aren't done at the CtAs - apart from the fact that intros are not required to join the outfit, it would just be impossible to do at a CtA.

It's, as Rizlar said, more about getting invites sent out, pointing people in the right direction (the last time this bit involved having to explain the different comms available in each platoon, hence the repetition comment above), dealing with mic/mumble/game/outfit questions, keeping folk company whilst they wait for their ps2 downloads to finish, poking quiet people parking in the channel for ages to see if they need help and generally being friendly and all that jazz.

It's really not a hard job (just a bit repetitive), but it can be busy, or at least constant enough that the person doing it doesn't get any meaningful chance to play whilst they're manning the channel.

On the 'temporary members that we kick' thing, isn't that kind of counter to the statement of the manifesto on the website? Not suggesting that we don't kick the CTA members, just that we might amend the manifesto somewhat.

I volunteered to help out with the welcome squad this time, but my father just passed away earlier this morning, so while a distraction would be welcome, I might not find the time. There may be other things I must do, I don't really know right now...

hope someone else can step up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    My condolences Esoteric.