Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I'm very sorry Eso. My thoughts, and I'm sure those of the rest of us here at RPS, go out to you. We will be here should you need that distraction

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Right, thanks guys! Sorry for derailing the thread for you...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    My thoughts, and I'm sure those of the rest of us here at RPS, go out to you. We will be here should you need that distraction
    Well said. Take your time Eso. We will accompany you on Auraxis again when you feel like it.
    Last edited by LaKroy; 13-07-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    I guess I could have a go at being the welcoming person this time, unless command would rather have me as squad leader. What does the welcoming role entail exactly?

Very sorry to hear that Eso. Don't worry about having volunteered, we'll sort it out. And we'll be around for distraction duty as and when you need it.

Lakroy - it entails what I said above. Not hard, just can be time consuming and such. I think we're probably aiming to have shifts, so it's possible that you could do an hour in there then jump into the game to SL or whatever. It would probably be better if we had people stepping up who weren't planning on taking leadership positions in-game though.

I'll be happy to PL/SL/Intro as required. Re: intro role, I think those that haven't done it before (such as me) should be the first in line to do it. I'd prefer to do have a shift rotation, but if I'm there for most of the evening it won't bother me too much.
    Squidguts - PS2
    ThunderFire/Vitae/Shield/Blast - GW2
    ThunderTech/Bolt/Swift - WildStar

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    while a distraction would be welcome, I might not find the time.
    Played a fuck of a lot of Pirates when I lost my dad. Can't say it helped but it's better than drinking. Much love mate.

Yeah, well.. Drinking isn't gonna be a problem, thankfully. Obsessive, compensatory gaming might, but so far I don't really feel much... Thanks for the kind words anyhow! Way to derail a thread...

I agree with the sentiment that people who haven't done the CTA intro should be our first choice, maybe having a vet or two help get things going? And maybe set up overlapping shifts, so that new people get to learn from the experienced throughout the night, without saddling anyone with the responsibility for the whole thing?

Sad news that i'm very sorry to hear. I've been there myself, so my thoughts are with you and your family.

Is there (officially) going to be a C2A on the 21st now then? Or was this just a PC Gamer glove slap?
    Last edited by NickWhite; 14-07-2013 at 03:23 PM.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    Sad news that i'm very sorry to hear. I've been there myself, so my thoughts are with you and your family.

Is there (officially) going to be a C2A on the 21st now then? Or was this just a PC Gamer glove slap?
    Since Jim posted on the RPS website about it, it's as official as can be. It's now up to us to catch up on the organization side of it.

to eso : my thoughts to you
    Last edited by Ksempac; 14-07-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    Lakroy - it entails what I said above. Not hard, just can be time consuming and such. I think we're probably aiming to have shifts, so it's possible that you could do an hour in there then jump into the game to SL or whatever. It would probably be better if we had people stepping up who weren't planning on taking leadership positions in-game though.
    Yea this happened last time unfortunately, I was more then happy to do the welcoming and made a point of being around early in that channel but once the CtA actually started up I had to go and do some PLing

Obviously, as before, I'm available for any position needed. Welcoming, Platoon Leading, SL/RO, whichever is needed more. I also probably won't really be on till Wed or so because my mic is broken and I'm waiting on a new one to arrive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I'd quite like to give SG a go given I haven't yet. Preferably as part of an SG team as was the case during the last C2A I joined in.

However, I'd rather run liaison / a welcome platoon shift if those positions are gonna be difficult to fill.

And we can't stress how important welcoming is. Major thanks to those who've done it, and a roster to share this duty would make a lot of sense. It's a full-on, full-time job and it starts a lot earlier than the actual event.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I'd quite like to give SG a go given I haven't yet. Preferably as part of an SG team as was the case during the last C2A I joined in.

However, I'd rather run liaison / a welcome platoon shift if those positions are gonna be difficult to fill.

And we can't stress how important welcoming is. Major thanks to those who've done it, and a roster to share this duty would make a lot of sense. It's a full-on, full-time job and it starts a lot earlier than the actual event.
    Well it was suggested that if the new comms are to be used I should SG, but I am more than happy to share the role with you Cooper. I would also like to be on the TVA comms as I have yet to do that.

I am really keen to use the trial comms set up at this CTA with the added communication levels it adds, however it really needs some more testing, and if 3 squads are used per platoon, then we will also need more channels, but given this weekends events I doubt Eso will have the time nor the energy to set up some more. But there is a week to go, we shall see.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    I volunteered to help out with the welcome squad this time, but my father just passed away earlier this morning, so while a distraction would be welcome, I might not find the time. There may be other things I must do, I don't really know right now...

hope someone else can step up.
    As with everybody else, im sorry to hear about this. Cant say I know what its like, and indeed dont know what to say other than that my thoughts are with your family.

Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    Yeah outfit intros aren't done at the CtAs - apart from the fact that intros are not required to join the outfit, it would just be impossible to do at a CtA.

It's, as Rizlar said, more about getting invites sent out, pointing people in the right direction (the last time this bit involved having to explain the different comms available in each platoon, hence the repetition comment above), dealing with mic/mumble/game/outfit questions, keeping folk company whilst they wait for their ps2 downloads to finish, poking quiet people parking in the channel for ages to see if they need help and generally being friendly and all that jazz.

It's really not a hard job (just a bit repetitive), but it can be busy, or at least constant enough that the person doing it doesn't get any meaningful chance to play whilst they're manning the channel.
    Yeah, sorry I was thinking of another thread whilst typing this, but I do mean something similar!

What I kinda meant was a checklist of what will need to be said to the groups of joining people, so that the quality and content of each 'cta intro' is the same. It also means that I wont have to stumble to remember what to say at any point .

Im happy to help out at some point, though I think a drop in/out system would be best, rather than say, hourly shifts. I think people taking particular introductions for a short period of time would be much more effective and allow the people running them to jump in and out of gameplay, so that they get the experience of a good portion of the night, rather than missing large chunks of what could be awesome gameplay.

Im not personally bothered about missing something in game, but I think it would be a lot more fair on the guys who may or may not take up a fair chunk of the job, especially you Sino.

As I said, providing I do make it im willing to help out with some of these at whatever point, but I would rather have some brief checklist of things, even if they are very simple bullets of things to not forget that can be elaborated on slightly. Naturally, the aim would be that I do as good a job as yourself, so I wouldnt want to miss anything.

Im not sure what your experience has been of previous nights, but is there any question taking/interaction, or is it just direction? If interaction is the case, is it sensible to split groups of people you are talking to if there are to be multiple of us doing the role? (this would probably only apply near the beginning or most busy time).

Can we please not use the new coms system for this CtA?

I know it's supposed to scale better, but i don't think we should use an experimental coms system during CtA (note "experimental" doesn't mean it's bad, it simply state it's under test / a WIP). There is already a lot of improvisation/organisational problems during CtA, so we should stick to things we know.
    Additional difficulty is that we have to assume that our Mumble expert won't be there, and no one else can hotfix channels during the event in case of problems.

If you decide to go ahead with the new coms, we need an aggressive testing schedule this week, so that a majority of people will know what to expect during the CtA at the end of this week. 1 or 2 tests won't be enough.
    I don't want to see a repeat of last time when last-minute planning led to sinomatic sacrificing herself to save the day
    Last edited by Ksempac; 15-07-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    Can we please not use the new coms system for this CtA?

I know it's supposed to scale better, but i don't think we should use an experimental coms system during CtA (note "experimental" doesn't mean it's bad, it simply state it's under test / a WIP). There is already a lot of improvisation/organisational problems during CtA, so we should stick to things we know.
    Additional difficulty is that we have to assume that our Mumble expert won't be there, and no one else can hotfix channels during the event in case of problems.

If you decide to go ahead with the new coms, we need an aggressive testing schedule this week, so that a majority of people will know what to expect during the CtA at the end of this week. 1 or 2 tests won't be enough.
    I don't want to see a repeat of last time when last-minute planning led to sinomatic sacrificing herself to save the day
    Yeah, i know what you mean. I did plan to test it every night this week, but due to Eso's limited availability and the general resistance to it I've been thinking about it this morning.

Still gonna push for it though, once the CtA is done.

Would it be an idea to have an air squad during the CtA? Maybe not for the newbies, but if a few regulars once SL slots are filled wanted to do it, it could help keep enemy ESF's and tank zergs at bay. they can be a source of frustration for newbies

Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    I missed some gaming, I didn't actually die or anything And yes, I would like to get to go play in the CtA it this time, but more than that, I just want to make sure that we're giving out a good first impression, and getting our new players into the game as fast as possible.

@BasicPauly: There's not a whole lot to it really:

• Ask people if anyone is looking for an invite

• Check that they have a Vanu char on Miller and are logged into the server
      • Check what their in-game name is (you'd be surprised just how often people get this wrong)
      • Check the mumble chat regularly for non-mic users

• Tell people to find a squad and join the corresponding mumble channel

• Tell them to take note of which Platoon and squad they're joining and then find the mumble channel
      • How to do any of the above if they don't know
      • (This may require more or less info dependent on the comms setup we have in the end)

• Take any questions people have (and ask regularly if people have any).

• It's usually fairly basic game stuff, and you can direct people to the guides on our site if they have anything more complex

• Make sure that people have push-to-talk on
    • Help with mumble/overlay/mic issues as best you can
    • Get a bit proactive with the people who are sitting in the channel for a long time - find out why and if they need help

If you get a chance, remind people that this is our open event but that we have at least a full platoon in playing most nights and now that they're in the outfit they are welcome to come play with us anytime - that sort of thing. And in the quiet moments, just generally have a chat with people who are hanging about in there (waiting for downloads etc).

You might need to keep an eye on how the squad joining is working out (squads appearing with no names etc) and let the in-game command know etc.

Generally though, it's mostly 'here's an invite, get in a squad and join the right channel', and being as friendly as possible. Not difficult, just on-going.

=====

Provided I can be there that day (might be away), I'll be in the welcome channel in the run-up to the CtA, and I'll take some time during the CtA too if we need to.

Re: the comms. Whatever happens, can we please get the channel and squad names to reflect what's going on, and make sure any welcome channel staff understand the system.
    Last edited by sinomatic; 15-07-2013 at 04:48 PM.

That's a perfect list! Thanks, Sinomatic!

Obscure Node
    I am up for doing Supreme Giraffe or Platoon leading as needed.

Activated Node
    I can PL/SL/RO as needed, I should be around the whole time.