Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar

[guide] The Squad an me, a basic guide to squad play (p1)

The Squad an me, a basic guide to squad play (p1)

This guide will try to help you understand some of the basic concepts of playing in a squad and squad leading. It will not make you a perfect squad player and it will require that you spend the time and energy yourself to get the skills needed.

Rules

1) Your direct officer is always right.
    - In rank from top to bottom: FC, PL SL, sSL

2) Follow orders quickly and adequate.
    - see rule number 1

3) Stick together
    - See rule number 1

4) Ask if you don't understand
    - See rule number 2

Squad play

So what is squad play? It's the basic concept of working together with the other eleven people in your squad to achieve a set objective. Twelve people working together are always more effective then twelve people running around like headless chickens, no matter the skill level.

So how to start? First step is to join a squad. Not all squads will run in a strict and "tactical" manner, so make sure you understand the scope of the squad before you stay in it. Some squad goals might not suit you; like having fun, goofing around or MLG PRO DEADLY GIRAFFE HITSQUAD SCLUB7. It all depends on the SL and it's goals. (rule number 4)

So now that you have found and joined a squad that suits you all you have to do is follow the basic rules. Nothing else is needed.

Concepts and jargon

Point man - The first man or woman in a squad that determines the route to take in a base. First to die. Mostly heavy or max. Do not run past this person

Redeploy - Press your redeploy button

Redeploy into/at X - see redeploy, followed by spawning into/at destined vehicle/location

Hold Point X - Defend and stay at point X

SL - Squad Leader, in charge of 1 squad (12 people)

sSL - second Squad Leader, takes up command if SL dies or disconnects

PL - Platoon Leader, in charge of 1 platoon (4 squads)

FC - Force Commander, in charge of multiple platoons

RO - Radio Officer, person who communicates with other outfits

Pocket engi - An engineer that follows a max around for the purpose of repairing it as soon as it takes damage

Banana building - A building that is connected to another building by two banana shaped walkways. mostly found at a biolab generator room

Spawn solution - Either a sunderer, galaxy or valkyrie (with squad spawn upgrade)

Break Break - Call out to clear communications, so if you're talking and hear this you stop talking right away

Squad play basic tips

- If you're in a squad for the first time or you just feel that you don't have the experience yet, let the SL know. It can help you out by giving you more direct orders.

- If you're in a squad and there is no point man then stick to a higher ranked member of the squad that is not the SL, sSL and is a heavy. This way you know you get to the locations needed while simultaneously you don't have to know a base lay-out.

- Keep an eye on the mini map, see a lot of people that are of your squad colour at another place? You might have missed an order, ask for conformation and go.

- You hear redeploy, but could not make out whereto? Just hit the redeploy button and ask for a conformation where to on the spawn screen. Saves you a lot of time and frustration of the SL

- If you get a direct order, always confirm you understood it.

- First time? Play a medic or engineer, it'll make sure you're never the point man.

- While a microphone is not required, it does help out a lot. It'll always be faster to shout "enemies small stairs" then to type it.

- If you do not have a microphone, always let your SL know.
    Last edited by Dominicus; 06-10-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    Steam: Dominicus

Starting with part 1, a guide to squad play. Other parts in the work, as well as an SL guide. Not sure about the time it'll take to complete them, especially the SL one. I might even need some help with the SL one to incorporate methods I don't use.

But enjoy the read and I hope it helps getting people up to some basic understanding of squad play.

Cool, I didn't know about the "Point" thing, or assigning sSL, thankz for telling me
    I'd appreciate any more detail you want to put into this ^^

---

Andro-centric Language Nitpick / Grammar time!

Maybee refer to Point az just that, or Point Person :P

"- If your in a squad for the first time or you just feel that you don't have the experience yet, let the SL know. He can help you out by giving you more direct orders."
    Also You're*

"- First time? Play a medic or engineer, it'll make sure your never the point man."
    Also You're*

"- If you are in a squad and there is no point man then stick to a higher ranked member of the squad that is not the SL, sSL and is a heavy. This way you know you get to the locations needed while simultaneously you don't have to know a base lay-out."

"Spawn solution - Either a sunderer, galaxy or valkery (with squad spawn upgrade)"
    Valkyrie , not Valkery :3

"Break Break - Call out to clear communications, so if your talking and you hear this you stop talking right away"
    You're*

Sorry :X
    Pretty much all 3 of theze are NSFW sometimez. Also very political. Also I'm a prideful, boasting bee about a lot of stuff.

Twitter; https://twitter.com/Succubee94
    Steam; http://steamcommunity.com/id/SophiaButler/
    Tumblr; http://sophia-butler.tumblr.com/
    Ingame; SophiaButler VS, SophiaTraitler NC, SophiaBuTRler TR.

-.- uploaded the unproof read one, fixed now.

Also point man is just the title of the task. Taking point also works, but point man is just quick to use and makes sure people understand it's a "important" task. We used vanguard for some time, but that caused confusion for other obvious reasons.

Point Person iz only 1 extra syllable away, though :I

Also you still assume the SL iz a He :/
    Pretty much all 3 of theze are NSFW sometimez. Also very political. Also I'm a prideful, boasting bee about a lot of stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Point man is a known military term I believe. Since it's following that function, it makes sense to use the actual term I'd say.

Also, really nice intro guide Dom. I always think of sSL as a relief SL, but that's personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by SophiaButler View Post
    Also you still assume the SL iz a He :/
    I would not concider that a problem, but I fixed it if you have trouble with it.

Agree with Sophia's point, but have rarely heard the term point man used in game. As I remember in-game it's normally "X is on point" or "X has point" or "X take point," it rarely comes up.

Great, concise guide Dominicus, it all looks so straightforward written out!

Thanks, and I agree the "X is on point" or "X has point" or "X take point" ones are used more often, but I also noticed they confuse new people. If I am running a squad with more new people I tent to use the "You're the point man", to make sure people understand it. Especially if people use expressions like "I am on the point" at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    I would not concider that a problem, but I fixed it if you have trouble with it.
    Assuming gender / thinking "Male is the default" iz a problem :s

Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    Point man is a known military term I believe. Since it's following that function, it makes sense to use the actual term I'd say.

Also, really nice intro guide Dom. I always think of sSL as a relief SL, but that's personal preference.
    Most military are also a very male-only area with a bad history of sexual harassment of any women who dare join up, but we don't condone that do we? :P

Glad people just say "On Point" ingame. Pleaze don't ruin that with a guide suggesting "Point Man" instead :s

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    Especially if people use expressions like "I am on the point" at the same time.
    I should have thought of that. Easy area of confusion there.

Network Hub
    Is Kate250s Outbuilding guide any good? I was tempted to study it, but then i noticed it's called the Banana Building the "fan building", and, fearing confusion, left it well alone.
    Origin guvornator69
    Steam guvornator
    Planetside 2 DavidGan1x - Come admire my terrible KDR

While the Kate250s Outbuilding guide is a good guide, it never really got much of a following within RPS and RTRS from my experience. I could be wrong though.

Great guide, might even be worth stickying or being recommended reading for new people although I've got to ask, was this inspired by the conversation during the Civ game?
    Planetside 2:JaggedMallard26 (VS), JaggedMallard27 (TR, Cobalt) and Jaggedmallard28 (NC)

I'm quite nitpicky in forum discussions so be warned

Partly, I have been writing the guide for some time now. It's at the moment more notes that I used during the S4T's and SL trainings that need additional work to be readible. Doctors handwriting and steno make for a nice piece of information for me, but is chaos to everyone else.

A much needed, simple and easy to read, guide, Dom.
    Had never heard of sSL or FC, before today.
    (Also, I would be interested in reading more about the responsibilities of the RO, when/if you get around to specific job descriptions.)

Anyway, a nice beginning to what will, hopefully, be a comprehensive textbook.
    Thanks!
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Finding Good Homes For Unwanted Games Since January, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by moms View Post

(Also, I would be interested in reading more about the responsibilities of the RO, when/if you get around to specific job descriptions.)

Moms, RO here is what we (RPS vanu outfit) would probably call 'TVA liaison' - as well as being in mumble, they'll also be in something like Teamspeak talking to other allied platoons and co-ordinating our actions with them.

In RPS (when we had our old comms setup) we used to use the term RO as someone within a squad who wasn't the SL who would be able to communicate back and forth with the PL. That's generally not something we need any more, but it occasionally sort-of happens when we go into split comms and an SL doesn't have the right binds (however these days we would be able to hear the communication between the 'RO' and the PL, unlike before when we wouldn't have been able to).

I fielded a campaign to rid us of the original squad RO as it was nore admin and usually meant that after the SL being "out of squad", it was another person not functioning in game so well. We went through a lot of comms revisions back then. I'm pleased that no changes have really been made since!
    SpellSlinger: Dewi | Warrior: Scyala

Join RPS in Wildstar!
    Check out the new player thread for info on how to join!

Right, I think we're due a shake up of comms for old time's sake.

I agree! We should alter the comms so that we go back to the time everybody has to setup a new bind every other day, aw those times. Dewi could have a special button for each of us. (It might be delete at this point tho)