Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Q&A - There's no such thing as a stupid question..

A thread for asking questions ..

General

• How do I join the RPS outfit?
    • How can I play with a RPS platoon?
    • How can I die less often?
    • How can I shoot better (at close range)?
    • How can I zoom the minimap?
    • Is there a shortcut key or button to centre the map on me when it's zoomed in?
    • Can I autorun?
    • Is there alternative fire mode on some weapons?
    • How do I spot enemy's for the minimap?
    • Does falling hurt?

Squads and Spawning

• How do I find a `fun` fight?
    • I've joined a squad, how can I quickly get into action?
    • I know you can squad deploy on a dead squad leader, but does it still count if they got killed in a vehicle (particularly aircraft)?
    • Whats the deal with a platoon beacon, can/how do I spawn at one..
    • Enemy Spawn beacons, what can you see of them and how do you kill them?
    • How do you use leadership smoke (green, purple, etc.) ?
    • Is it possible to kill using the drop-pod?

Class related questions
    • Who gets concussion grenades?
    • Resist shields have cutoff?
    • How can Engineers free their ammo slot by using their turret for ammo?
    • Are Engi ammo certs good?
    • Is there a limit on the number of ammo boxes I can place, like with mines etc?
    • Any tips for avoiding death whilst repairing?
    • Can an engi AV turret hurt a Max?
    • Thinking about certing into Flashbangs/Concussion grenades
    • How can I kill a Max?
    • If i buy a zoom for a vehicle gun, do I only get it on a vehicle I spawn?

Bases and Shields
    • Whats a SCU gen? why will these effect fighting in the bio lab
    • Whats the deal with shields and generators?
    • Which shields can be shot through in which directions?

Explosions
    • Where do people find mines (AV and AP) work best?
    • Do tank mines do damage to friendly vehicles?
    • Do MAXs trigger vehicle mines?
    • Can you throw mines, grenades while midair from a galaxy/ejection seat jump?
    • How do I use C4?

Weapons
    • What effect do forward grips have?
    • What are lancers and lashers?
    • Whats the deal with lashers?
    • Any recommendations for Engi Carbines?
    • Battle rifle on an Engi any good?

Vehicles
    • Any tips for driving?
    • How does vehicle locking/unlocking work?
    • Do drop-pods actually do any damage to vehicles?
    • If I get the AMS cert for the sunderer, can other people drive it if I get one and deploy it
    • So I got the AMS cert, how do I deploy it ?
    • Any tips on where to park a Sundy?
    • When in a vehicle, does LOCK mean that someone has gotten a lock on you, or that they are attempting to acquire one?
    • Any tips for shaking someone off your tail when in a ESF dogfight?
    • Is it possible to change your vehicle loadout once it has spawned?

Simple Glossary
    Last edited by Henlaaz; 15-07-2013 at 08:55 AM.

General

How can I join the RPS outfit?

How can I play with a RPS platoon?

• After joining the outfit, hit the `P` button when in game, click the Outfit tickbox top right. This should give a list of the open squads, the names should be RPS something something. Then double click on one of the squads. On mumble find the channel where your squad mates are located, and join them.
    • If there are no squads appearing, it's either because they are all full, at peak playing times, or that there are none currently running, off-peak times. Eitherway shout into the outfit chat (click outfit tab in the chat or do /os) about opening up a squad.

How can I die less often?

• If you feel you're dying far too often, it's almost certainly because you're being too aggressive. Stop running into ambushes, idiot. Find cover and wait for hostiles (who you can see on your minimap because you brought radar, right?) to come to you.(cfftble)
    • Run from cover to cover and be unpredictable (zig zag etc) (gribble)
    • Whenever you're on foot and moving from point A to point B, always assume someone is trying to aim at you. Zig zagging in no particular pattern or order is the best way to move. (sketchseven)
    • Firing a weapon will flag you on nearby hostile's minimaps for ten seconds. (cfftble)
    • Get one level of MedKit (50 Certs) and have it equipped on all your classes in the Utility slot. You'll always have it on for the Heavy even when you progress even more, and it adds to your survivability. (MrEcletic)

How can I shoot better (at close range)?

• Just some practice, and be sure to set up your mouse, ADS and scoped sensitivity sliders properly. You'll be amazed how much difference that makes. Also, be sure to have no mouse accelaration, and have your mouse polling rate at maximum. Also, if you have an xDSL line, contact your ISP and ask them to set it to Fast Path from Interleaved. (MrEcletic)
    • Check out this article (http://www.fpsgeneral.com/news/fps-g...etitive-gaming) for disabling mouse accelaration in Windows, and also overclocking your mouse to a higher polling rate, if it's supported. If you don't already, get a wired gaming keyboard and mouse. I'm an FPS noob, and started with a wireless productivity setup (Logitech Wave keyboard and Logitech MX1100 mouse). I've switched though to a Microsoft Sidewinter x4 keyboard and a Logitech G400 mouse. They are not great, but good enough and relatively cheap. (MrEcletic)
    • Check out these videos in order to set up your mouse sensitivity:

• Medium and long range with high RoF weapons you should go for somewhat long bursts of 6-8 rounds. Learn to strafe and synchronise the bursts with the strafing. Burst-strafe right-burst-strafe left-etc. Use the VR to practice it, now that the loadout bug is gone. Just 5 mins when you first log in to warm up and get the feel for it will do wonders. (MrEcletic)
    • Aiming down sights is not always a good thing - up close or with some attachments (lasers) you might better hip firing (grible)
    • Up close in this game hip firing is far more likely to get you the kill, especially on moving targets (rather than stationary targets aiming at you). This also frees you up more for the run-in-and-stab-'em move when you both run out of ammo. Nine times out of ten they'll go to a pistol, but you'll both be hurting and you'll only need to get the last hit in with the knife to finish them. (sketchseven)

How can I zoom the minimap?
    • The minimap can be zoomed with `[` and `]` and enlarged with H.

Is there a shortcut key or button to centre the map on me when it's zoomed in?

• There's a little icon that looks like a person that's in the centre of four arrows that you can use for scrolling around the map screen, clicking the little person centres it on you. (Jesus_Phish)

Can I autorun?

• You can use "=" (by default) to autorun much like you would in an MMO. It also works in vehicles but if you alt tab or do anything else you will stop moving, whereas infantry keep running forever (mcknight)

Is there alternative fire mode on some weapons?

• B in general is the alternate mode default keybind. Besides the turret, it also alternates fire mode in weapons that support it. Full auto, burst, semi auto for the Select Fire weapons (Equinox, Solstice SF, Flare), full auto and semi auto for a lot of the other ones. By the way, and this is weird, when in semi auto (ie single shot), Vanu small arms used to have bullet drop. I think they still do, but I haven't used it in a while. (MrEcletic)

How do I spot enemy's for the minimap?

• There's a spot key (Q by default I think?) that will flag the targeted hostile on nearby ally's minimaps for ten seconds. Keep in mind though that the spot message can be heard by nearby hostiles. (sketchseven)

Does falling hurt?

• You get 10 seconds of immunity to fall damage after leaving a lift beam/jump pad/droppod. Use this rather than the "down" elevators on tech plants, towers, and biolabs, and exploit the shit out of it to murder Sunderers that are hiding under the legs of tech plants. (cfftble)

Squads and Spawning

How do I find a `fun` fight?

• If playing solo, flip to "Enemy Activity" overlay on the map, look for territories with more than 12 hostiles (any less and it's likely just one or two guys). Now check that the population balance is between 40% and 60%. Unless a battle's right on the border between two territories (in which case one area might be overwhelmingly friendly and the other overwhelmingly hostile), if the balance is outside that range then it's going to be a spawncamp. Finally, check that it's not a biolab with 48+ people per side.
    • Join an RPS squad (see above)

I've joined a squad, how can I quickly get into action?
    • When you first join a squad, hitting insert will instantly (no countdown) spawn you at the nearest spawn to the squad leader. (cfftble)

I know you can squad deploy on a dead squad leader, but does it still count if they got killed in a vehicle (particularly aircraft)?
    • You can squad deploy on a corpse. (laldy)

Whats the deal with a platoon beacon, can/how do I spawn at one..

• Sounds like somebody has been doing what we've asked everybody not to do. and calling the platoon waypoint a beacon. It isn't it's just a waypoint. The platoon waypoint is a big orange arrow from the sky/orange arrow marker on your map. The squad one is green. Your personal one (right click in the map/minimap to set it) is blue. Although sometimes called beacons by players incorrectly, there are unrelated to spawn beacons. There is currently (and probably indefinitley) no such thing as a spawn beacon for platoons. Each squad must have their own. (CMaster)
    • There is no platoon "beacon", but we sometimes mix up the words "beacon" and "waypoint". The waypoint is just a marker in the world often used for objectives, while the squad beacon can be used for drop podding in members of your squad. The squad beacon is unlocked with certs, and is found under the Squad Leader category of the cert page (EsotericReverie)

Enemy Spawn beacons, what can you see of them and how do you kill them?

• A bright vertical beam of light, emanating from a small cylinder. Red for TR, blue for NC, purple for VS. Shoot at the cylinder at the base of the beam of light. You'll get hit markers, and, once destroyed, some XP. (MrEcletic)
    • Knife will also do the job, it's just that some times they are in a weird nook, so it's difficult to get the hit (MrEcletic)
    • Spawn beacons are pretty tough against splash damage. So careful (or very close) small arms fire is often the best way of dealing with them. (CMaster)

How do you use leadership smoke (green, purple, etc.) ?

• It's like a map way point - set from the map screen by right clicking. Except it's visible faction wide. (Grible)
    • http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Squad_Leader Bit on smoke about half way down "Rally Points" are Faction only. (Grible)

Is it possible to kill using the drop-pod?
    • Of course. Space Marine style! (Skalt)
    • Oh man, you're in for a treat! (EsotericReverie)
    • I find I have to use WSZC to steer. WS does north-south (though reversed I think) and ZC does east-west (also reversed). Not sure why it's like this for me. Possibly because drop pods count as air and I've changed the keybindings for flying. If you're aiming for a target (commonly an enemy sunderer) put your personal waypoint on it before dropping. Makes it much easier to find. (WallyTrooper)
    Last edited by Henlaaz; 15-07-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Class related questions

Who gets concussion grenades?

• Heavies get the Conc grenade. (laldy)

Resist shields have cutoff?

• The HA's resist shield has a cutoff at 500-600 damage. If a single projectile is more than that (say from a tank shell or a sniper bullet), it'll ignore the shield's resistance.(cfftble)

How can Engineers free their ammo slot by using their turret for ammo?

• Engineers can equip their turret, press B (or whatever your deploy button is) and it magicly turns into a ammo pack. Gives you a free utility slot to use for tank mines or whatever and all your ammo box certs still work using this method. (MadraGorm)

Are Engi ammo certs good?

• If you remember to set the ammo box down regularly, yes. They pay for themselves. I think that level 3 is both sufficient and the minimum. (MrEcletic)

Is there a limit on the number of ammo boxes I can place, like with mines etc?
    • Only one. If you place it again, the previous one disappears. (MrEcletic)

Any tips for avoiding death whilst repairing?

• Engineers should always try to crouch when repairing magriders. Many thankfully have upgraded chassis, meaning that it won't kill you when it strafes, but just hover over you. This can also be decent cover from an airstrike. (qaz)
    • Further to the above, when repairing vehicles you should always keep moving to make it harder for infiltrators to snipe you. Stationary engineers are a large portion of my sniper kills, which is an even better bonus if they are the driver as you've now taken the vehicle out of play for as long as it takes them to get back to it from respawning. (Loki_MGF)
    • If your sundy is under attack, crawl under it to repair it, itll act as a shield. If you do a lot of combat repping of vehicles, invest in the flak shield, as all vehicles do flak damage to infantry. when they dont, it one shots you anyway. also, at level 5, you survive an infantry mine. (QuantaCat)
    • It's called the "Engineer Dance". (MrEcletic)

Can an engi AV turret hurt a Max?

• Sure can (mrpier)

Im thinking about finally certing into Flashbangs/Concussion grenades, however I'm finding myself short on infantry resources already (mostly due to C4 on my LA). How much of an additional strain on resources would these grenades be?

• 75 resources / grenade (Ksempac)
    • Depends on your role and your kit. When I played Engineer, I had a lot of trouble keeping myself in tank mines, C4 and sticky grenades until my membership bonus hit +30% resources. After that it was fine. Then I got the Utility Pouch and started dropping x4 mines per life and suddenly shortages returned. Don't worry about that though, flashbangs are phenomenal right now, cert into them and grenade bandoleer ASAP. (cfftbl)
    • Infantry resources should rarely be a problem. You just have to remember to never let them reach or stay at the 750 limit. Always spend them and restock your infantry consumables, until you reach the 40 items per consumable limit. (MrEcletic)
    • If you know you're lacking on infantry resources, you need to go to high yield infantry resource battles like Biolabs on Amerish, 30 resource per kill is a lot. (Bankrotas)

How can I kill a Max?

• Chuck a C4 onto a door frame then dance in front of it to lure a max through - *boom* - it's down right hilarious. (grible)
    • MAX suits have a 80% resistance to small arms fire. They have no resistance to explosives. The Heavy's AV grenades are shit against tanks but wonderful against MAXes, taking them down to 10-15% health in one hit. In cases of MAX crashes and camps, cert grenade bandoleer and chuck two round the door in quick succession. You'll score a pile of Extreme Menaces. (cfftble)
    • Lashers are also a good choice against MAXs, as are underbarrel grenades (they'll take a MAX to half-health in one hit). (cfftble)

If i buy a zoom for a vehicle gun, do I only get it on a vehicle I spawn?

• Yes, and if you cert zoom for the basilisk on the sunderer it will not carry over to the basilisk on the harasser for instance. (mrpier)

Bases and Shields

Is it possible to get on a Tech Plant roof when not a light assault?

1. Find a working anti vehicle turret
    2. Angle it up and rotate towards the roof as far as it will go
    3. Jump on the top of the turret and walk along the barrel to the end
    4. Jump to roof
    5. Get murdered by entire galaxy of meanies (HexPen)

Whats a SCU gen? why will these effect fighting in the bio lab

• The SCU is the spawn control unit, when it's down you can't use the main spawn and the gen is what powers it. (apricotsoup)

Whats the deal with shields and generators?

• Yeah, whenever we say "gen" or "Genny"or even "generator", what we mean is one of the shield generators. There are three kinds. Vehicle shield generators power the wall shields that stop enemy vehicles from entering the courtyard or amp stations for instance. Facility shield generators (horizontal and vertical) are the ones that power the shield for the facility itself. SCU shield generators power the orange shields around the SCU, stopping enemies from getting in and disabling it. Shield generators can be disabled by any non-MAX infantry unit by walking up to them and holding E, much like hacking works. (EsotericReverie)
    • Both tech plants and amp stations have facilities shields : they look like vehicles shields, except they don't let neither infantry nor vehicles pass, and have two icons on them. One with 3 horizontal lines, one with 3 vertical ones. They each correspond to a generators with the same icons. You have to bring both generators down to get the shields down (Ksempac)

Which shields can be shot through in which directions?

• Spawn shields (faction coloured) can be shot through from the inside, but not from the outside (note how they are almost invisible from the inside?).
    • SCU shields (orange) can be shot through from either direction.
    • Facility shields (faction coloured) cannot be shot through from any direction.
    • Vehicle shields (faction coloured, along facility walls) let small arms fire through, but not explosives, such as tank shells, launchers (including the Lancer).
    • Warpgate shields let no projectiles through. (EsotericReverie)
    • Tower spawn shields can't be shot through from either direction (since the latest tower redesign) (CMaster)
    Last edited by Henlaaz; 10-07-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Explosions

Where do people find mines (AV and AP) work best?

• AP mines work well just inside or outside of doorways, corners or near cap points. Or in good cover positions. I have failed so far to use AV mines effectively, except against deployed Sunderers. (EsotericReverie)
    • For AP mines the best spots are really the obvious ones, any heavily used infantry chokepoint (stairs, doorways, narrow corridors), near a terminal, near a capture point, behind a turret, generators and entrance to generators, grav-lifts etc. You could take more care with placing them of course, for instance place one on top of the stairs so it has lower visibility for someone going up, placing it around corners in narrow corridors, or just to the side of a doorway. Mining the good cover spots in a generator/capture point room in stead of the obvious right near the generator/capture point, where people will often look for them now, place on top of up-grav lifts and down on bottom grav lifts, yeah you get the picture :-p (mrpier)
    • AV mines are great for dumping on unsuspecting vehicles, like patrolling/defending sunderers, tanks etc. They are also great for base defence, for example if a group is pushed back because of an on-coming force, we can set up a bunch of mines on the popular base roads and likely bag a few kills. On top of that, placing them in and around popular enemy vehicle spawn locations and behind enemy lines can be useful too. Using them a little bit in front of spawn pads can be effective, if you make use of the distance that vehicles are in the autopilot mode and place it near where they stop. Aside from that, any place, hidden or not, where vehicles might drive thinking they are in relative safety. (BasicPauly)
    • Don't forget you can detonate av mines by shooting them or with a sticky grenade, this makes them brilliant for quickly taking out deployed sunderer's as just two will instagib a sundy without minegard equipped which these days seems to be most of them. (RushTon)

Do tank mines do damage to friendly vehicles?

• If you mean, are they triggered by friendlies within their proximity radius, then no. But if they get detonated in some other way, for instance splash damage near them, then yes. (MrEcletic)
    • Yes, if they explode near them, but friendly vehicles will not trigger friendly AV mines. Any kind of damage will though, including small arms fire and splash damage from explosions. (EsotericReverie)

Do MAXs trigger vehicle mines?

• Nope, unfortunately! (Rizlar)
    • But you can throw them down, wait for the max to come through and then shoot them. It's not the best technique, but I have got kills that way. (CMaster)
    • Another option is to put an anti-vehicle mine next to an anti-infantry mine. BOOM! (LaKroy)

Can you throw mines, grenades while midair from a galaxy/ejection seat jump?

• You can shoot, use non deployable stuff. Yes. Can also throw mines while using a jumppad (Bankrotas)

How do I use C4? When I whip it out, I appear to be holding a remote detonator...but how do I place the explosives?

• right click throws the c4, and left click detonates. c4 can stick to various surfaces like metal or any wall (metal includes guns .....). it's probably best to play around with it in VR a bit so you don't waste too many resources. (qaz)
    • Yeah, pay close attention to how far you can throw it too (not far), and experiment with throwing it out off windows, over walls and high up in the air. I find that many of my c4 runs are suicide runs, because I'm not good at using cover to get where I want. I've also found out I'm useless at placing c4 in anticipation of an enemy. (mrpier)
    • Just a small addition because that came up on mumble recently: for the use of C4 we should add that C4 despawns when the user respawns. Until then it can be detonate by other players. (bonkers)

Weapons

What effect do forward grips have?
    • Forward grip for BASR is a massive no. For BRs it's essentially a must. What it does is reduce horizontal recoil. (Adenn)

What are lancers and lashers?

• Lancer: VS specific rocket launcher for the heavy. 700sc/1000c. Has a 6 round magazine, and a charge mode which uses up to 3 ammo at once (for a significant damage increase). 0 CoF when aiming down sights and effective range of ~500m. Fires out a massive glowing beam when shot, and has very fast travel time. (CMaster)
    • Lasher: VS specific heavy assault weapon. 700sc/1000c. Fires glowing blue orbs at very low velocity and rate of fire. Orbs do splash damage on hit. Orbs do a weird damage type, to which light vehicles (including ESFs) are completely immune, but MAXes have no resistance too. Excellent for doorway suppression, big fights (where you can deal damage to lots of people at once) and resisting MAX crashes. Has terrible 1vs1 DPS however. (CMaster)

Whats the deal with lashers? I get a lancer squad would be good AV..

• Lashers can be usefully for locking down doors and they are very effective against maxes but mostly they are just fun. (RushTon)
    • Generally good when you are expecting a inf/max push through a door or some other confined area. Hurts a max more than regular bullets.
    • The lasher is very weak on your own in close quarters though. And in wide areas, everyone will see you due to the trail of balls.. (Sublett)
    • Mostly they are just bloody effective at suppression. Get on the high ground, so that you can fire at the enemies' feet and start blasting away. If they hop behind cover, fire at the corner of the cover and hit 'em with the splash. Get five buddies to do the same and you can lock down an entire area. Bring an engineer for ammo and you can blast away to your heart's content. Oh, and MAXes supposedly take more damage from Lasher spam than other small arms, since they don't count as small arms fire. Edit: the slow muzzle velocity is another serious problem over range. (EsotericReverie)

Any recommendations for Engi Carbines?

• Pulsar C excels at medium to long range, but the Serpent is the highest ROF and DPS carbine in the game. With Adv Laser it is almost as good as the VX6-7 at hipfire, but has superior ADS accuracy and behaviour, so it surprisingly good at mid-range as well. It is a beast. Even shotguns aren't a problem, just as long as you don't get the full volley of a pump action's first shot. Not that the Pulsar C is a bad weapon. It is great. (MrEcletic)
    • In principle, Pulsar C is the longer ranged option, while Serpent is the high RoF and "close range" one. In practice, at all ranges that actually matter, the high RoF option (be it the H-V45 or the Serpent) does so much DPS and so easily controlled recoil, that you'll win - you just need to be prepared to stand still(ish) and aim down the sights. At any ranges where you'll actually lose using the high-RoF guns to one of the lower DPS weapons, you have time to realise this and duck behind cover again. (CMaster)

Battle rifle on an Engi any good?

• The Eidolon is very good for long range engagements! High velocity ammo, OG 4x scope and flash suppressor seems to be the go-to solution for that. Add a laser sight to improve its effectiveness at closer ranges. If you run into someone, just start hip firing like mad. Every shot hurts like hell. 4 shots to kill an I augmented enemy at close quarters, I think. Note that it is still a bad gun for close range combat. It can also be used by heavies. (EsotericReverie)
    • Battle Rifle is good on engi. It's nice for when you're manning a mana turret or babysitting some maxes in the open and you want to plink away at people 75-150 meters out. Don't get it first though. It's not useful all the time and you're probably best off getting the Serpent first. (Boris)

Vehicles

Any tips for driving?

• Always drive in third person view, (default `T` key) except if you are firing/in a gal. Much better awareness of your surroundings. (Ksempac)

How does vehicle locking/unlocking work?

• The set vehicle to platoon only unlock all seats (including driver seat) for squad/platoon and lock all seats for non-squad/platoon members. The "unlock driver seat" being the most important thing, and the reason why we recommend you do that as soon as you spawned your vehicle (unless under enemy fire of course) (Ksempac)

Do drop-pods actually do any damage to vehicles?

• Drop pods do damage to vehicles. ESFs for instance are destroyed by them. Liberators take a good deal of damage, and often crash afterwards. It's enough to pick off a damaged Galaxy or tank or Sunderer too. So, yes. I've killed my share of Mossies and other flying things in my drop pod. Sometimes killing myself too, however. (EsotericReverie)

If I get the AMS cert for the sunderer, can other people drive it if I get one and deploy it

• Yes, as long you have pressed PageDown before, and selected Unlock for Platoon/Squad, so that anyone in the platoon can drive it and deploy it. This should be standard practice, btw, especially when leaving undeployed sundies as back up on the rear.

So I got the AMS cert, how do I deploy it ?

• First, make sure that it is equipped in the Utility slot in the Sunderer loadout screen. As the driver of the Sunderer, just press the deploy key (default keybind is B) to deploy and undeploy it. (MrEcletic)
    • You might want to also press Page Down (default) to open up the vehicle control panel, and set it to Squad/Platoon only. This means that anyone in your squad or platoon will be able to hop into the driver's seat, to e.g. deploy it if you forgot or were unable to, or to move it to a new location if you are not around, or dead. (EsotericReverie)
    • And when trying to deploy and it tells you that there already is another sundi nearby you can see its (their) range on the minimap. If sundis are parked well then you should be able to park several around the same objective. But as most people do not tend to park their sundis in good spots it's more of a "who gets there first gets the certs" kind of thing. At least when rolling with the zerg. (bonkers)

Any tips on where to park a Sundy?

• Best observe experienced outfit players where they park their sundis. Most of the time parking directly behind buildings or walls (where most sundis are parked) is a bad idea as LAs and Engis will simply drop C4/mines from above. People spawning from your sundi need to have a chance to kill approaching enemies. (bonkers)
    • Yeah sundy parking is sort of an art - finding a concealed, defensible location that provides you quick access to the important parts of the base as fast as possible. as you learn more of the different bases, you'll find good locations for sundies. Just be aware the enemy will probably know those locations as well, if they're experienced. (sketchseven)
    • One thing about sundy parking: if you find good cover/concealrment, try, if the situation and spot permit, to not deploy right next to the cover. It is covering the sundy, but it is also covering the LA that is coming to blow it up. (MrEclectic)
    • I'm no master of this art but a simple piece of advice given to me was "if in doubt park it further away". At least that way we can keep spawning and running. Parking really close is normally good for about 30 seconds in a heated fight. Unless you know a special place, and that's where the art comes in. (WallyTrooper)

When in a vehicle, does LOCK mean that someone has gotten a lock on you, or that they are attempting to acquire one?
    • The blinking LOCK means someone is acquiring, and when it stops blinking, the lock is acquired. (Skiant)

Any tips for shaking someone off your tail when in a ESF dogfight?

• What I do is fly awkwardly, weaving left and right, to make myself harder to hit. Save your afterburners for getting away from the fight rather than into it. Afterburner tanks help. You can also fly close to the ground, moving around objects, in order to try to confuse and lose your pursuer. Knowing where to go is important, ideally you want to lead the enemy into a territory with friendly AA. Avoid over extending, if you're far into enemy territory, fleeing is going to be nearly impossible. (LaKroy)
    • In general I've been a bit better off staying and fighting, trying to do reverse maneuvers to get the bead on my opponents. (mrpier)

Is it possible to change your vehicle loadout once it has spawned?

• Nope, not possible (EsotericReverie)
    Last edited by Henlaaz; 15-07-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Simple Glossary:

ADS Aiming Down Sights
    AMS Advanced Mobile Station, the cert upgrade to a Sundy that allows spawning
    AP Anti Personnel
    AV Anti Vehicle
    BASR Bolt Action Sniper Rifle
    BR Battle Rifle or Battle Rank, the latter being an indication of character experience from 1 to 100.
    Certs Certifications, the currency for upgrading your character's class, weapon and vehicle abilities
    CoF Cone of Fire (how much divergence can bullets have compared to where you actually aimed)
    Engi Engineer class
    ESF Empire-Specific Fighter - reaver, mosquito and scythe
    Gal Galaxy, flying troop transporter aka Whale
    HA Heavy Assault class
    Lasher HA heavy weapon, fires (slow) plasma balls that do splash damage
    LA Light Assault class
    RoF Rate of fire
    SCU Spawn Control Unit
    Sundi/Sundy Sunderer, vehicle troop transport that allows spawning when fitted with AMS
    Last edited by Henlaaz; 10-07-2013 at 04:55 PM.

*reserved
    *reserved

*reserved
    *reserved
    *reserved

Is it possible to change your vehicle loadout? Say I've spawned an A2A Scythe and want to go A2G, or want to change my lightening to a skyguard..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Nope, it is not possible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    BR is also a very common abbreviation for Battle Rank in this game.

duly noted

Though it's not really an in-game abbreviation, I think you should add TVA

Network Hub
    For mines:
    I've found AV mines to work pretty well by placing 2 right in front of the vehicle pad in bases where one can't see them from the actual terminal. Sometimes there's foliage in places where i think vehicles may move so i drop one those. AV mines are huge and easy to spot so i've given up on dropping them on roads.
    AP mines work reasonably well on stairs, right around corners, and in heavy fights i may just drop them in one of those bigger brushes outside if i don't think they'll get hit by tank shells or such. Anything that makes gives enemy less time to spot 'em while they run.

Drop pods: I try to aim for the wing if it's a liberator or galaxy, makes it more likely to flip and crash and more likely for me to survive the kill.
    Last edited by Graerth; 13-07-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: drop pods

its possible to aim drop pods?? by using the wasd?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Henlaaz View Post
    Oh man, you're in for a treat!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Henlaaz View Post
    I find I have to use WSZC to steer. WS does north-south (though reversed I think) and ZC does east-west (also reversed). Not sure why it's like this for me. Possibly because drop pods count as air and I've changed the keybindings for flying.

If you're aiming for a target (commonly an enemy sunderer) put your personal waypoint on it before dropping. Makes it much easier to find.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Of course. Space Marine style!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Where do people find mines (AV and AP) work best

AV mines can be pretty useful actually, and it seems the focus of these answers is mainly AP mines so here is some AV mine stuff.

AV mines are great for dumping on unsuspecting vehicles, like patrolling/defending sunderers, tanks etc.

They are also great for base defence, for example if a group is pushed back because of an on-coming force, we can set up a bunch of mines on the popular base roads and likely bag a few kills.

On top of that, placing them in and around popular enemy vehicle spawn locations and behind enemy lines can be useful too.

Using them a little bit in front of spawn pads can be effective, if you make use of the distance that vehicles are in the autopilot mode and place it near where they stop.

Aside from that, any place, hidden or not, where vehicles might drive thinking they are in relative safety.

Don't forget you can detonate av mines by shooting them or with a sticky grenade, this makes them brilliant for quickly taking out deployed sunderer's as just two will instagib a sundy without minegard equipped which these days seems to be most of them.
    AKA Rushtone

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RushTon View Post
    Don't forget you can detonate av mines by shooting them or with a sticky grenade, this makes them brilliant for quickly taking out deployed sunderer's as just two will instagib a sundy without minegard equipped which these days seems to be most of them.
    Indeed.

Might wanna update the post with some of this information included (compressed if you want).