Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Softpoint always on an SMG. On an SMG the downside of slower bullet velocity does not matter.
    Unless I'm mistaken, the velocity reduction of soft point ammo is about 5% and doesn't really matter on any weapon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    A note about suppressors: they dramatically reduce bullet velocity (between 15%-40%, depending on the weapon category, IIRC), and also reduce the max damage range, and thus the overall damage drop-off.

Besides requiring more lead beyond close range, that increases the time to kill, as the rounds travel even more slowly before connecting with the target.

Try to not depend on it.

And here is a tactic that works with the PDW: since it is an NS weapon, it fires white tracers, and does not sound like a faction specific weapon. Actually, it kind of sounds like TR weapons, but still, the sound alone cannot determine who is firing it. Without a suppressor you will appear though on the minimap. Use that to your advantage: after engaging and killing your opponent, relocate. Opponents that will come investigating will go to the last known location, and you can ambush them from your new one.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 12-03-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Softpoint always on an SMG. On an SMG the downside of slower bullet velocity does not matter.
    Softpoint always if it's an option.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    Softpoint always if it's an option.
    Wouldnt' say so. If I know, I need to do some open space combat, I wouldn't equip SPA on EM1
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I ted to go with Wrel's advice:

Silencer not worth it on anything bar some certain infil / LA playstyles.

Flash suppressor an absolute must on your 'night time' loadouts and not a bad choice in the general.

I know that I, as a player, use muzzle flashes to pick out targets I would otherwise not have seen a very large number of times. Assuming that's common practice amongst decent players, running flash sup. seems like a good bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    Wouldnt' say so. If I know, I need to do some open space combat, I wouldn't equip SPA on EM1
    It's only a 5% reduction. I give you that this might be a slight increase in bullet drop in NC weapons, but that's a non-issue for VS.

does anyone know the minimap `rules` e.g. if spotted you appear on the minimap for n seconds.. if have a suppressor and anyone is within x meters you appear for n seconds..

I think once you are spotted you will stay spotted as long as you are in line of sight of an enemy.
    Maybe it wears of if you get out of LoS.
    Cloaking as an Infiltrator removes the spot and minimap tracking immediately, thats how they get behind enemy lines.

A suppressor on your weapon removes the dot you generate on the minimap that players close by can see.
    As far as I have noticed the dot does't move and stays on the map for a seconds or so after you fired.

Equipping a compensator on the other hand increases the radius in which the dot shows up quite a bit, so its something to consider when picking attachments.

The new motion senor ( the one you can deploy ) spots you in its radius on the minimap but does not create a dorito over your head, so people know roughly where you are but you still could hide somewhere.

The senor dart (default infil tool) emits a radar pulse that creates a dot at your position on the map ( the same as from gunfire). The frequency of the pules as well as the range increase with the level of the tool.
    Standing still and walking while crouching prevents you from being detected by the motion spotter and the sensor dart.

The time you stay spotted is finite. Once you are spotted you stay spotted for 10 seconds. At least that is the figure I have seen, but from experience I'd say it is about correct.

When you discharge your weapon, you appear on the minimap within 40m. If you have compensator equipped, 80m.

If you are in a vehicle, the vehicle appears on the minimap. Unless it has stealth, and then the various cert ranks apply (max stealth you do not appear on the minimap). You do appear when discharging a weapon.

You are detected by motion sensor or recon darts when walking, sprinting or jumping. Standing still or walking while crouched you are invisible to these. Furthermore, recon darts detect only when they tick. So watch the pulses. Also, to counter-act that, if you are the one scanning an area, fire multiple darts, trying to overlap the pulses.

Recon darts and motion sensors appear on the opponent's minimap. Especially the motion sensor reveals where you've been. Keep that in mind when placing, and try not to stand on it, because they'll come looking, just to take the sensor out. Also, the sensor has a 50m detection radius, but appears on the opponents' minimap only if they're within 30m. You have a 20m edge.

You always get detected by radar, no matter the posture.

If you are in a vehicle, the vehicle appears on the minimap. Unless it has stealth, and then the various cert ranks apply (max stealth you do not appear on the minimap). You do appear when discharging a weapon.
    You sure about that ?

I quite often see tanks show up for a second or so on the minimap and then fade out again.
    I always assumed it works like infantry and the just fired there weapon.

Maybe the just moved out of spotting range though.

Quote Originally Posted by Avaa View Post
    Maybe the just moved out of spotting range though.
    That or stealth.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    According to Rayden78, the magrider master of Miller, you do not show up on the minimap even when firing your weapons in a stealth vehicle. Perhaps you have a different experience, though?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    According to Rayden78, the magrider master of Miller, you do not show up on the minimap even when firing your weapons in a stealth vehicle. Perhaps you have a different experience, though?
    A test is in order I say.

Network Hub
    If this is true, I'm putting Stealth on everything. We do need to confirm this.

Really?! I mean, if Rayden says so (even NC and TR speak his name in hushed tones), it must be...

But somehow it does not seem consistent with the rest of the game...

Anyway, I always use stealth, so go me

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Can anyone convince me this game is still worth playing?

I haven't in months, I know nothing about changes since probably before christmas and I cancelled my sub at the start of this month.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

New Amerish, New Hossin soon(?). If you're not enjoying it then there is no killer new content to bring you back in, it's still IMHO good fun - but then I took a break late last year and cancelled my sub too, now I just FTP it...

So I did a short bit of PLing last night as people were filtering in at the start of the night (~2000 gmt) and I faced a problem.

How do you pick a decent fight?

I didn't want to be the guy redeploying three squads every five minutes, but I'm damned if I could do anything meaningful ahead of the zerg. We got somewhere, it was zerged within a few minutes, and the only good fight we came across was a massive 48+ vehicular grindfest between the Crown and a neighbouring territory.

Is there a particular knack to finding a fight that's the right size for us to make difference in? It seems the options are so often either investing time ghost capping to get a reaction, or throwing more bodies into a grinder with the zerg.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Three squads is a tricky number. One squad is easier, just find a fight that is roughly even at around 25-48 both sides, and you will make a difference, bring three squads and you'll stomp all over the place. Looking for fights hovering around the 55-60% enemy presence level usually works alright. But that's the lattice fright there. :/
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168