Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    With 3 squads is better to force a reaction then to look for one. Just start to cap an more or less important lane and after 2-3 bases the enemy (most of the time) will react. Miller has a fairly high level of tactical play and there are always other PL's on the opposite side who are in a similar situation.

If you do this keep an eye on the continent map if, the faction you are taking the bases from, is winning or loosing anoter big fight. Most of the time this will indicate that PL's on the other side will start looking for a new place to fight. Another small tip is to keep an eye on the opponent warpgate. A huge spike in population might indicate that either a platoon arrived from another continent or they are preparing a possible gal drop on your location. Combine this with the population distribution on your continent and you can sometimes even predict if they come for you or not.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by stoopiduk View Post
    Is there a particular knack to finding a fight that's the right size for us to make difference in?
    Worth bearing in mind that even in a massive zerg fight you can make your own fight. So for example defending a tech plant that's getting zerged, you could choose to defend a shield gen or capture point with your platoon - doing this rather than just generally 'defending the tech plant' makes your smaller numbers much more effective and sometimes can turn the tide of a battle. Also taking the opportunity to harry an enemy zerg - get a few sunderers and set them up on a flank and annoy the main force enough for them to send people to take you out, possibly giving your allies a bit of a breather.

I think it's possible to find stuff for an organised platoon to do in most fights, but sometimes you just get steamrollered.

Also take notice of what organised enemy platoons do. I've often seen enemies take and hold a non-important building in a base and hold it against overwhelming numbers, giving them a fire base and place to eventually push out and cap/defend as they pleased.

Oh, and I sometimes as PL will take a minute to redeploy as an Infil or something to go and check out a fight and see if it's any good.
    Last edited by Boffinboots; 14-03-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Someone's probably mentioned it already, but if you're really getting thrashed (ie. trapped in spawn, killed if you leave by overwhelming force) just leave. Give it a go, maybe try a max crash if you think it'll work, but very often the best thing to do is leave, pile into a galaxy, and hit somewhere else, or set up a more concrete defense at the next base. Anything other than standing in spawn watching the cap go down - it's dumber than a bag of hammers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Spend more time watching the map when you're not a PL.

Learn the flow.

Realise that the plan can be more sophisticated than just taking a base. If you can see your side at 50/50 and making no progress, pick some key objective that will help the zerg break through and do that.

Never expect a ghostcap to get you a fight. Making a push on a key location will normally get you one (eg, Zerg is stalemated on one lane to a Tech Plant - then let rip down the other one, or flank through a junction point.

(Also, don't forget that while capping has to follow lattice lanes, you don't. Pull a combined armed force for a neighbouring but unconnected base and releive besieged friendlies (just don't let your guys get pulled into the siege)

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    You are detected by motion sensor or recon darts when walking, sprinting or jumping. Standing still or walking while crouched you are invisible to these. Furthermore, recon darts detect only when they tick. So watch the pulses. Also, to counter-act that, if you are the one scanning an area, fire multiple darts, trying to overlap the pulses.
    Unfortunately the minimap pulses are not accurate. The timing shown on the minimap is fixed to the base rank of the recon dart but at higher levels the actual pulses are faster, so don't rely on moving between pulses to keep you hideen.

Obscure Node
    Hey guys, i logged on yesterday and I'm not in the RPS outfit anymore. Anyone know if it's a bug or was if i was removed or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Forkrul View Post
    Hey guys, i logged on yesterday and I'm not in the RPS outfit anymore. Anyone know if it's a bug or was if i was removed or what?
    I don't think we've ever actually done any "spring cleaning" as it were so I'd be pretty certain it's a bug.. Just hop on mumble and someone will invite you right back in.

Obscure Node
    ok i'm back now, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    I don't think we've ever actually done any "spring cleaning" as it were so I'd be pretty certain it's a bug.. Just hop on mumble and someone will invite you right back in.
    No. We've made it a point not to remove anyone from the outfit for inactivity. There's no point (it's unlimited) and we're here for RPS readers, even casual ones.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    How do you unflip a flipped galaxy at the warpgate? Well, here's the answer:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkrul View Post
    As others have said, we have never removed players from the outfit roster.

However the game does seem to remove long-term inactive characters from an outfit. It also removes them from the API (and thus also from databases that use the API such as the planetside players website and dasanfall's stats site).

At a guess, this may have something to do with the data for long-term inactive characters being archived by removing it from the main database and storing it on an archive database. This reduces the size of the live database which makes API calls faster. At the point of archiving the character drops off the outfit list as the character is no longer 'live'.

Logging in with that character will move the data from the archive to the live database, but this does not correct the outfit list, as outfit lists are a separate database, so need to be manually re-added.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Except Forkrul is one of our newer members from the last CtA or so, I believe.

Unless I'm going mad.

(That's entirely possible.)

I'd say if you're actually a sin-o-matic, you're probably already considered mad.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    Except Forkrul is one of our newer members from the last CtA or so, I believe.

Unless I'm going mad.

(That's entirely possible.)
    Speaking as a fellow newbie, when I first rejoined PS2 after the CTA I was also confused by this. Turns out I was getting squads and outfits confused, as well as the RPS tag not being present on the character select screen. Could that be the answer? Or have I just revealed my my ever increasing numpty-ism to the world?
    Last edited by Guvornator; 19-03-2014 at 11:08 AM.
    Origin guvornator69
    Steam guvornator
    Planetside 2 DavidGan1x - Come admire my terrible KDR

Obscure Node
    "Except Forkrul is one of our newer members from the last CtA or so, I believe.

Unless I'm going mad.

(That's entirely possible.)"

No you are correct.

I don't know what happened, could be a bug or maybe I've just clicked a button by accident or something.
    Last edited by Forkrul; 19-03-2014 at 12:20 PM. Reason: forgot quote

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just give us a shout on mumble next time you are in game and we can re-invite you (if you haven't done this already)!

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    I'd say if you're actually a sin-o-matic, you're probably already considered mad.
    I try

You've just reminded me that some of us were going to start a 'how do you pronounce that person's name?' thread.

(For the record, like that ^^^)

I would love that thread. I have serious name pronouncing difficulties. Also Bases.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Grible View Post
    Also Bases.
    Tumas = "Tumor" as in

So, I've always pronouned it sigh-no, am I wrong?

Sino is a prefix I use at work quite a lot for Chinese related things, and I've always understood it to be correct in either form, but for some reason I've always gone sigh-no.
    Statistical reasons not to follow me into battle on PS2 here: Stoopiduk

Friendly on Steam, Twitter and Twitch. Origin: Stoopiduk Battlenet tag: stoopiduk#2888