Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Is it common to get kills after you've logged off? I had a quick session this morning before work, rolled the battle bus up to the base had a minor barney with a few NC, then this happened:

Screen Shot 2014-04-03 at 13.13.46.jpg
    I logged off after I got killed, yet seem to have given Paul30023 what for from the Sundie. According to my watch the PC was off and I was out the front door at 8:42. Am I haunting Miller? Thoughts?
    Origin guvornator69
    Steam guvornator
    Planetside 2 DavidGan1x - Come admire my terrible KDR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guvornator View Post
    Is it common to get kills after you've logged off? I had a quick session this morning before work, rolled the battle bus up to the base had a minor barney with a few NC, then this happened:

I logged off after I got killed, yet seem to have given Paul30023 what for from the Sundie. According to my watch the PC was off and I was out the front door at 8:42. Am I haunting Miller? Thoughts?
    I would assume the sundy was still classed as "yours" by the game. He maybe attempted to C4 it and the wreckage killed him?

Network Hub
    Maybe, there a few NC hiding behind it, farming handsome young Vanu like myself (cough). Would serve them right if they got themselves blown up.
    Origin guvornator69
    Steam guvornator
    Planetside 2 DavidGan1x - Come admire my terrible KDR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guvornator View Post

Sundys occasionally move even when deployed if the terrain is awkward.

In doing so, they will kill friendlies and enemies too close of hiding underneath.

That, and players jumping on to them from too high will die from the fall and it will be attributed to your vehicle (kinda like a roadkill...).
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

So could you weaponlock someone by repeatedly jumping onto their vehicle from a high place ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Avaa View Post
    So could you weaponlock someone by repeatedly jumping onto their vehicle from a high place ?
    ... Silly Monday?

Also, Cooper - I thought they fixed the sliding sundy issues?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    ... Silly Monday?

Also, Cooper - I thought they fixed the sliding sundy issues?
    It's not as bad as it was.

What they tend to do now is slide a lot when you first deploy, but then stabilise once they're in position, rather than slide into position very slowly and almost imperceptibly, yet utterly deadly. Even so, they do still slide about minutes after deployment if you've got a really awkward position. They now, however, have a habit of simply exploding if they cannot find a stable position (the endless rocking back and forth of sundys has been replaced by a rocking back and forth and sudden ka-boom).
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the various non-sniper weapons for the infil? I don't generally play infil, and when I do it's generally in much more close quarters situations. What should I spend my certs on? I had a wee play around in VR and none of the options felt too bad, which doesn't help me narrow the options. I'd like to hear what more dedicated infil players think about using them in the game proper.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    SMG. I really don't see a point in using anything else outside the fun of variety. Scout rifles are also okay for medium ranges but a sniper rifle with a medium range scope will also do.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of the various non-sniper weapons for the infil? I don't generally play infil, and when I do it's generally in much more close quarters situations. What should I spend my certs on? I had a wee play around in VR and none of the options felt too bad, which doesn't help me narrow the options. I'd like to hear what more dedicated infil players think about using them in the game proper.
    Any SMG. But Sirius SX12 is the best SMG.

If you have a NS PDW from the fresh meat bundle (that's $2 for that SMG, a camo and a boost), then that will do as well.

If you have the Eridani (from the box set, you might have gotten it from your Zombie night involvement), you can use that as well. It's decent enough.

If you want to drop 1K certs on an SMG, get the Sirius. If you have either the Eridani or the PDW and you don't plan on playing Infiltrator a lot, use either of those. Soft point ammo on all, Suppressor in small fights, flash suppressor otherwise. Exmags on the Eridani, Adv Laser on the Sirius, forward grip on the PDW (it's pretty good at medium range). Whatever scope you like, 1x or HS/NV.

EDIT: Don't waste your time with the automatic scout rifle (Artemis, I think). The semi-auto (Nyx) is serviceable, but not in close ranges. It's like a battle rifle.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Any SMG. But Sirius SX12 is the best SMG.
    What Boris said. I've started playing around with the NS PDW after getting used to the Sirius, it's worth noting that the NS gun is much better at medium range but fairly terrible in proper close-quarters. It just doesn't have the power to take people one-on-one like the Sirius and Eridani. However it's great for hiding on rooftops/flanking and popping people as they run past.

Actually, I would say that the Eridani packs more if a punch. And especially when you equip it with an extended mag and soft point ammo - with that setup I would say it becomes the best SMG and easily beats the Sirius all day long. I mean, as long as you're reasonably accurate at shooting things; 9/10 you can uncloak and drop someone without them being able to react.

A technique I would advise to get the most out of the Eridani is to initially shoot down your sights (a 1x) and then about a second to half a second after change to hip fire and let it reel off into the enemy. If you're ~5-10 metres away from the enemy then they're going down like a sack of spuds. Once you've got used to timing it right and letting it work it's magic it's bloody brilliant! I'm nearly at Auraxium Medal for it.
    Last edited by NickWhite; 04-05-2014 at 12:41 PM.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

So it's essentially between the eridani and the sirius then. I think I'll have another play with them in VR and see how I like the feel between those two specifically. Thanks guys

Another bet, for a more close-medium range Infil could be the NS Vandal? I'd recommend talking to LaKroy and/or watching Wrels video on it before you decide, but essentially it can be used as a fast firing, fast reloading battle rifle.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    Actually, I would say that the Eridani packs more if a punch. And especially when you equip it with an extended mag and soft point ammo - with that setup I would say it becomes the best SMG and easily beats the Sirius all day long. I mean, as long as you're reasonably accurate at shooting things; 9/10 you can uncloak and drop someone without them being able to react.

A technique I would advise to get the most out of the Eridani is to initially shoot down your sights (a 1x) and then about a second to half a second after change to hip fire and let it reel off into the enemy. If you're ~5-10 metres away from the enemy then they're going down like a sack of spuds. Once you've got used to timing it right and letting it work it's magic it's bloody brilliant! I'm nearly at Auraxium Medal for it.
    The Sirius and Eridani have practically the same DPS. 1760 DPS for the Sirius, 1788 for the Eridani. The Sirius' bigger mag allows you to kill one more dude (including Exmags on the Eri), though, which is nice if you're not fighting strictly one-on-one. And since the Sirius comes with the large mag by default you can get the Adv. Laser with it, making it more accurate than the Eri in hipfire. Or you can get the forward grip, making it better at ADS fire. That's the Sirius advantage.

The Eridani's advantage is that it has directional recoil (to the right), while the Sirius goes left/right at random, making it harder to compensate for. The damage drop off start range is a bit further out for the Eri as well (10m vs 6m). And, the Eri reloads faster, but you need to reload more often.

The 3 SMGs each have a different range they're good at. For me, the Sirius wins at extreme close range, the PDW wins at medium ranges (25-40 meter) and the Eridani wins at what's in between. I'm currently using the Eridani, but that's only because I Auraxiumed the Sirius.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Non-sniping infil has been my main class for the last four months or more so I feel reasonably well placed to comment here. Sirius, Eridani and NS7-PDW are all good (MKV suppressed is also good but essentially a duplicate of the NS7).

Sirius or Eridani - use in close range with soft point ammo and suppressor. The consensus is that the sirius is better but it's largely a matter of what you prefer since both are good (see discussion above).

NS7-PDW (or MKV suppressed) - do not use in CQC (anything less than 10m). If you do you'll normally find the other person turns round and nails you. If you use it at medium range and are fairly accurate this thing is a beast (with SPA and suppressor).

I found it easier to start with the Sirius in ultra close range, using it more or less like a knife for the short range insta kill. The downside with that is that you're then in a really dangerous position amongst the enemy normally which means the chances of getting a second kill is fairly low. However, it's a good play style for getting used to the aim-uncloak-kill-recloak-reload-(sometimes recloak again) process. You want that sequence in muscle memory. You also want to get pretty accurate and aim for the chest or head. Using the NS7 is preferable (for me) because I find I'm able to chain much longer kill streaks because I can generally score the kill without any of the enemy working out where I am.

A good trick with smg infil is to get a wraith flash (doesn't need any other attachments though racer chassis is useful). This then opens up several useful options:

1. Infiltrating! Literally getting behind the lines and taking out all the oblivious support crew and snipers. The desert around Indar Ex is perfect for this. Find a nest of enemy infantry and take them all out!
    2. Invisible road kills
    3. Suicide flash - pull a wraith flash, switch to engie and apply 3 blocks of C4 to the front. Switch to infil. Drive into enemy sundy, detonate (easiest done with a single shot from the fury on the flash if you have it - otherwise hop off and shoot it). This is super effective for taking out hard to reach sundies.

Have fun!
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Before you count out the Artemis, check this video out:

The Artemis is on par with the NS7 PDW in terms of dps. I have not used the Artemis myself, but the gameplay above convincingly shows it is viable. It is also an extremely quiet gun with the suppressor.

I had loads of fun when the SMGs came out over one year ago and played a lot as an Eridani infiltrator (extended mags, softpoint ammunition, suppressor). It is a good gun and even more so with the recent (small) buff.

Many months later I purchased the Sirius with certs. It is no doubt a good gun as well, but I never liked it as much as the Eridani, maybe because SMGs weren't a new thing anymore. However, I feel a quick reload speed is more useful to my style of playing SMG infil than a huge magazine - you will pretty much always uncloak, kill one or two dudes, then cloak again and reposition yourself. Before uncloaking again you will have plenty of time to reload a gun like the Eridani. Constantly reloading is not as efficient with the Sirius and decloaking with 35 rounds in the Sirius mag versus 35 rounds in the Eridani mag is a loss of 630 potential damage - enough to kill one enemy with headshots. I'm theorycrafting a bit here, trying to find an explanation to why I'm not that fond of the Sirius. In short; quicker reload speed synergises better with the decloak-shoot-cloak style.

I have never learned to use the NS7 PDW and I find it weak. However, the MKV Suppressed with advanced laser sight is brilliant (and it looks good with that carbon fibre). It's 779 rpm fire rate seems to do something more impressive than you would expect. Aim for the head and the TTK goes below the magical 0.5 seconds. The free suppressor and NS sound effects and tracers are going to confuse your enemies if you would opt for the MKV Suppressed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Now, if you want more versatility, the Vandal is god-like:

With this gun I use a flash suppressor, laser sight and HS-NV optics. Abuse the 0.75 ADS movement speed to throw off your enemy's aim while scoring multiple headshots (it is actually not that hard with this accurate gun!). It takes three body hits to kill a target at point blank range, so it is essentially like a 15-round Underboss for CQC. It's not optimal below 10 meters, but still capable. At medium range it is very deadly.

Think it may be godlike in your hands lakroy.. Back in the realms of mere mortals I would say that it's a fun gun to play with really satisfying feel.. I'm not sure that I wouldn't be better off with an SMG but I guess it depends how good you're positioning is.

The vandal is great if you have good aim and reflexes. I don't, and while it's good fun to use and sounds amazing, the Eridani or Sirius are much more effective for me.
    SpellSlinger: Dewi | Warrior: Scyala

Join RPS in Wildstar!
    Check out the new player thread for info on how to join!