Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    RE: infiltrator deployable, absolutely worth it yes. If you can get it in a great place then it's a throw and forget, enemy finding GPS. However, in my opinion, the standard darts; fully upgraded or not, are just as good when you place them well and IF you have an ammo box nearby.
    I'm a fairly heavy infil player and despise the deployable. For the team playing that we do, with a proper squad comp I see no reason that a motion detector should be taken over darts.

Darts reassure everyone that the map is covered, as pings can be seen by all, and offer more flexible coverage. When someone else is Infiling, I don't like the uncertainty of guessing whether a spotter is up during a defense. I have experience of surprise attacks coming in, especially on tech plant defenses because the squad had assumed a spotter had been placed.

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    How is a continent unlocked?
    Locking a continent will unlock one of the two locked continents, the one that was locked earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    How is a continent unlocked?
    By any faction locking a different continent. A maximum of 2 (out of 4) continents can be locked at once, so when a 3rd one is locked, the oldest locked one automatically unlocks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    I've been playing almost solely infiltrator since Christmas and here's my view on spotter vs darts... As others have said the spotter is great in some situations but personally I never use it. The natural use of the spotter would be when you're defending a point and you just want to have it down because it gives more precise information and stays up for longer. However, in that situation someone would have dropped some ammo for me to spam darts everywhere providing a MUCH larger area of coverage. Also, the pings give you a clue how wide that coverage is as Stoopid says. Moreover the spotter doesn't actually have a very large area of coverage so without darts as well you don't get much notice of a crash - lack of notice means we are less prepared and more people die. Also, spotters are much easier to kill - easy to shoot and always on the ground where an EMP can get them. Darts have the world's smallest hitbox and can be shot into trees where they are hard to get at and there are multiple of them so no single point of failure. So in point defence I still feel darts are preferable. When on the move darts are clearly better because you can fire them ahead of you and not become a sitting duck whilst you deploy a spotter.

TL;DR

Darts are better.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

As someone with a lot of Infiltrator time under my belt, I have to agree. Darts are the way to go. You can shoot them in hard to reach places, you can shoot them right at the possible entrances without endangering your life (and the life of the medic who will come and rez you even though you shouldn't have been there in the first place -- I'm looking at you, Laldy).

Darts allow you to see what's in a tower without actually needing to step within 100 meters of that tower. They're awesome.

I am surprised at how validated I feel by these comments, I thought I was a one-man ill-informed resistance movement.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    #darts4life
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Network Hub
    Agree with the Da-Rt krew, they're much more flexible. Objectively, I actually think the range you can fire them is a bit ridiculous.

Also, you can kinda use them to alert and guide pubs when you're soloing, although this may just be self-important wish-fulfillment misperception.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    On the medic deployale. As a "full combat medic"/necromancer, it just doesn't fit with the wya I play at all. Giving up self-heal and the force multiplier of healing while others while shooting just doesn't fit with how I use medic.

I've been ddrfiting back to nanoweave again recently, despite initally moving away from it after the change. Losing too many duels with heavies has made the push.

For a number of reasons, I have not been able to play much, lately (especially since the last big update.) However, the couple of times that I have, it seemed that my engie was unable place ammo packs. Every time I tried to drop one, I placed a turret.. and usually in a most inconvenient spot. Eventually, I realized that I had no ammo packs to drop (even after resupplying.)
    I did look over the updates/changes that had happened, recently, but didn't see anything mentioned bout that.
    Did I miss something or has the ammo deployment changed or, heaven forbid, been eliminated?
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Finding Good Homes For Unwanted Games Since January, 2014

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's been changed.

Now hit f (ability key) to throw out ammo packs, rather than having to fussily deploy them.

Oh cool. Thanks!!!!!!
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Finding Good Homes For Unwanted Games Since January, 2014

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I'm also a big fan of darts. I only ever use the motion spotter when I'm stalker cloaked behind enemy lines, and I've heard that was nerfed since I last used it properly...
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I use the spotters a fair bit in the few times I play infil. My style involves playing objectives - harrying people capping points and stuff like that, so I find them not knowing about the spotter until they're spotted by it (think that's how the auto-spotting works?) is enough of an edge. So for example, I'll backcap a point from a small group, stick a spotter down with a few mines then run back out to change angle. I know where they are if they're still near the point but if they're not they don't know I'm there.

I'd say that's the only small edge they give. Darts appearing in an otherwise empty base is insta-look-for-infil-time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Should or should I not torture myself with Burst and semi automatic non shotgun auraxiums?
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Depends how much of a sado-masochist you are, I guess? So yes.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    #darts4life
    In my time as infil I actually swap between the two quite often (and probably prefer motion spotters). For room attack/defence it's great, I've got mine fully certed so probably provides slightly better coverage than stock but the information, particularly locations of maxes I find really handy. I also quite often pair together with a radar flash (to get benefits of darts up to 100m, imo the best possible combination) and recon bolts on a crossbow sidearm to quickly scout areas I'm moving between. Another situation where they are really useful is when guarding as stalker infil, if you position yourself between where the enemy will be moving from and the spotter itself you get great notice (they appear on your map before the spotter appears on theirs, believe its 50m vs 30m) and can easily figure out your best plan of attack.

I like using darts on weapon that have slightly longer range, but when in squad play I find myself too often being annoyed at the infil who's forgotten to keep spamming the darts and also often find myself being that person.

The main downside I see to using spotters (even when accompanied by motion bolts or vehicle radar) is the overreliance you inevitably seem to build on the mini map. These days I pretty much always play with it on max, keeping an eye on for any dots as opposed to just using good situational awareness...not sure what people's opinions are on this.

Quote Originally Posted by iNGLE5 View Post
    I like using darts on weapon that have slightly longer range, but when in squad play I find myself too often being annoyed at the infil who's forgotten to keep spamming the darts and also often find myself being that person.
    The squad problem definitely arises when the map is empty. I forget to dart all the time, but before it was easily dealt with - if there was an infil in squad and no darts, they were fucking up and they could remedy it quickly.

Now you have to wonder if they've stuck down a spotter somewhere, and you don't want to be asking every time you set up a defense. If they have set down a spotter - you don't know where it is or what it's covering - you have no faith in your map coverage. "I've put down a spotter" is of zero use once an enemy attack has come in without triggering it.

That reminds me, next time I SL I will mandate darts over spotters.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    This conversation is gold.

Would it work to have "recommended play: infil" and similar for the other classes where we could note down the result of this kind of discussion? t'will be a good number of threads, but if we get them on the tott thread it might work...
    Disclaimer:
    Sometimes I get a bit manic and then I talk too much and wall-of-text a lot.
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    There are, in my oppinion, 2 situations where I prefer the motion sensor to te darts. The first is with a stealth sundy. How many times I have seen my sundy getting pinged on the map by a group of recon darts is just sad. If you deploy those darts in the corner of a base in a rather small group then you can be sure a light assault will check it out. It's an invitation (just like a spawn beacon right next to the sundy). Motion sensors has the same effect, but it does not show up on the mini map as much.

The second time is when you use it as bait. Small base, small fight, 6 V 6 or 12 V 12. Put a motion sensor down and just wait for the people to run for it. 12 people holding down a point room and you need 1-2 to get out so you can kill them. Put a motion sensor around the corner. Youc an be assured someone will run out to destroy it.
    Steam: Dominicus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    How many times I have seen my sundy getting pinged on the map by a group of recon darts is just sad. If you deploy those darts in the corner of a base in a rather small group then you can be sure a light assault will check it out.
    Good advice. Darts can be an indication of where the enemy is, but you can also shoot them over pretty huge ranges, enough to cover a base. So when darting up a base I start with a few on the opposite side of the base and try to keep them up around the entire base rather than just around the squad.

Sticking one on the spawn room is also great, that's the earliest indication you will get of enemies spawning in and what direction they are heading in.