Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    No, you cannot. I have tried this on a number of occasions. Res grenades don't affect yourself.
    I thought as much. That's a shame. I assume heal grenades work however on yourself?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I would think so. Haven't tried heal grenades, though. I really should.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Same.

Are there any maps for defense layouts in buildings? For example the gen room in a Biolab. We tend to do a good job there now, but there's always some variance in the lineout.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    Are there any maps for defense layouts in buildings? For example the gen room in a Biolab. We tend to do a good job there now, but there's always some variance in the lineout.
    There is the INI defense layout for gen rooms. Originally posted by fishfoodcarl here.

Cheers LaKroy.

What is the general consensus on using turrets to block doors?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    Cheers LaKroy.

What is the general consensus on using turrets to block doors?

Not sure about consensus. TrooperWally view: Don't. By putting it in the doorway you provide cover to the enemy approaching and obscure the fire of your fellow giraffes behind you (even if it's not manned). The same rules apply for turrets as for anyone else: stand back from the doorway and crouch unless there's someone in your firing line.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Blocking a door with a turret goes both ways. It will be harder for the enemy to shoot inside and it will be harder for friendlies to shoot outside. The enemy will still be able to throw grenades over the turrets and get them into the room. Having the turret in the doorway will probably make it take more fire, enemy as well as friendly, and therefore explode faster.

With 24 players (= 2 squads), the INI setup consists of:

4 x Medic
    7 x MAX
    13 x Engineer

The two engineers on Big Stairs are likely to carry underbarrel grenade launchers for suppression.

I thought the same about blocking doors but I heard a few call outs for people to do it over the last couple of days. I didn't know if was a new fad that I'd missed.

I think it's interesting INI take the ground floor too. We tend to leave that to pubs.

Yeah there was a call for blocking the balcony entrances with turrets the other night. It didn't work and was frustrating for those of us trying to cover the balcony doors, not least of all because I nearly killed both the engineers as they were trying to lay down their turrets in my line of fire as the enemies appeared.

It just caused a little confusion and blocked the line of fire for our MAXes.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    No, you cannot. I have tried this on a number of occasions. Res grenades don't affect yourself.
    Question around grenades in general - Do they despawn when you die? I was under the impression they might.

Also, my own cautionary tale about suicide flashing (dying from embarrassment?). I tried this a couple of times a few months ago and my attempts were underwhelming at best. On the two occasions I tried it, the sundies did not die from 2 bricks of C4 and a fury burst (initial class then swap to infil). So I guess you just need more C4 than 2 bricks for guaranteed success.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    AI turrets on top of stairs, yes, in doorways, no, covering said doorways, yes.

I've tried setting up AI turrets in the point b room a couple of times and there's generally just too much milling about in front when you set them as far back as indicated in the drawing. Being VS we should probably have more lashers anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    A lot of sundies these days run blockade armour, which drastically increases the amount of C4 needed to kill them. I think 2 should get an unarmoured sundy burning.

Also, re: the INI map. Why is the area behind the engineers at big stairs a no-go area?

I'd guess maybe to prevent cross fire, Rizlar? That or to prevent groups being too far apart (hindering res grenades).

I'd also guess that incoming nades from the big stairs are likely to land there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Also, re: the INI map. Why is the area behind the engineers at big stairs a no-go area?
    That's where most of the grenades land.

Also, should the opponent use charge MAXes, that's where their momentum will take them. If there are friendlies there, the opposing force can take advantage of that and use them as cover, as they absorb some friendly fire.

The survivors of the big stairs fall behind that no-go area, while the small stairs and big room teams shift their fire to that area. Notice that the big room bottom MAX-Eng pair can easily target that through the door.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 25-11-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HexPen View Post
    On the two occasions I tried it, the sundies did not die from 2 bricks of C4 and a fury burst (initial class then swap to infil). So I guess you just need more C4 than 2 bricks for guaranteed success.
    It takes 4 bricks of C4 to instakill a blockade sunderer. Every other sunderer type takes 3 bricks.

To instakill sunderers you need to cert the utility pouch and C4 for the engineer. I have done this and can place 4 bricks of C4 on my own. An option is to team up with a friend to get the extra C4.

With 3 or 4 bricks of C4, blowing up sunderers on a suicide flash becomes reliable. It is still a challenge however, as you need to blow up the C4 close enough to the sundy as well as stay clear of enemy fire.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you just ram the C4 flash into the sundy, does it detonate the explosives? If so, could you just jump off at the last minute and let the momentum carry the flash into the sundy?

If not I guess the detonator should probably jump off early, hide in a bush and let the infiltrator take it in close before pulling the trigger...

If you don't want to die you can shoot the C4 with your primary/secondary weapon. You can also throw a frag grenade to detonate it.

This is highly relevant:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    LaKroy and I (plus other helpers who's names I sadly forget) had a reliable thing going with the suicide flashes yesterday. We each put 2 blocks of C4 on the flash then I switched to infil, cloaked the flash and ran into the sundy. To detonate I uncloaked and fired a fury shot. There was then a very satisfying BOOM and pictures of sundy wreckage behind my own death screen. LaKroy could have watched this from the sidelines but like the committed giraffe he is he chose to come along for the ride.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Re: That INI layout.

I would modify it for RPS play. We need more medics, basically. Quite simply, we don't have the general survivability of INI players. We'd also need better coverage of the 'big stairs' as we cannot guarantee UBGLs on the engys there.

Instead of actual placements, what we should remember are basic guidelines.

1. Don't look out of the doors. Just don't.
    The logic is simple: Make sure "Area you can stand in and shoot the enemy" > "Area the enemy can stand in and shoot you". If you are looking through a door the areas are almost equal, if they have to come through the door, then you force them into passing through a very small-area killzone.

A bit of emphasis here: this is one of the most basic rules we can get so much better at. Yes, pulling back into a building and waiting is 'less fun' then popping in and out of a doorway to harass the enemy, but it's much, much better tactically.

2. Most engys should dedicate themselves to MAX repairing and little else.
    This means: Engys behind cover, rep gun trained on MAX whilst MAX holds position.
    Fuck ZOE. Seriously. Fuck ZOE so fucking hard. Nothing pisses of engineers more than a half-dead MAX zipping about and constantly breaking the rep tool's lock. ZOE & building holds should be for Comets only, and should onyl then be used to flick it on and off when firing, not for its maneuvaerability bonus.
    Actually, yeah, maybe one thing is more annoying for an engy than that. When the MAX you are repping sidesteps and you get one-shotted by a decimator. Stand the fuck still, be the tank you are supposed to be.

3. AI turrets NOT AV turrets indoors.
    I saw this last night, engys setting up rocket turrets indoors.
    The AI turret is default and is nasty, deathly lethal when trained on a tight killzone. Holding a building should be all about creating tight killzones. The splash on the Av MANA turret is worthless in comparision to the way the AI turret shreds things apart. It's also deadly accurate for MAX headshots.

4. Medics and repair engys: Get the fuck behind cover.
    Too often I see medics running about. Find cover, stand still, pop out when revives are needed. Movement increases the chance of friendly fire and that you will moev yourself into enemy firing lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG