Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    In my oppinion it is going to depend on UBG's a lot. Are they staying the flavour of the month then flak will be your best option. But as soon as it wll become the norm, like nw is now, then UBG's will go out of favour so flak will also be less usefull. grenade bandoleers are great, but can be a drain on your resources.

I might take a second look at the advanged shield capacitor.

As a side note to this, resist shield, still wearth it or is the classis shield for the heavy the best option as soon as the patch hits?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    I might take a second look at the advanged shield capacitor.
    I'd read a few things saying advanced shield capacitor is the way to go, that's the way I'm leaning. I do find myself quite often huddling down in cover waiting for my shield to come back up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    As a side note to this, resist shield, still wearth it or is the classis shield for the heavy the best option as soon as the patch hits?
    Resist shield became very powerful together with nanoweave's additional hitpoints. Now nanoweave is a resistance, and as such I suspect it no longer synergises with resist shield (flak + resist shield has long been a poor choice, because the resistances do not stack).

My hypothesis is that adrenaline/nanite mesh combined with flak or nanoweave is the favourable choice. The overshield, which gives extra hitpoints, should be boosted by the resist values from the suit slots.

An alternative is resist shield + advanced shield capacitor. The shield capacitor ensures your shields are up as much as possible. That's 500 hp that is then effectively multiplied by the resist shield.

Here's a good video about the heavy assault overshields:

• Nanoweave no longer stacks with the Heavy Assault’s Resist Shield ability. This was not intentional and it was granting the Heavy Assault too much survivability when compared to all other classes

your assumption was correct sir

edit: I also feel even worse at how much I suck playing HA with this setup when it was OP

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Is the adrenaline shield still an outright upgrade to the mesh though?
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Is the adrenaline shield still an outright upgrade to the mesh though?
    If you're really good player it rewards you more than average one. Your KPM on a heavy has to be almost around 1 to use it better than basic one.
    Also needs huge cert investment. There are some math about this, but can't pull it out of my head pronto.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

I still wonder why they do this though, instead of making adrenaline more unique. Like giving a smaller energy capacity or whatever. Or a small resist bonus or anything of the sorts. In the end it's just a direct upgrade over mesh if you have the certs to spend. Which is stupid game design /imho
    -remove spaces-

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    I still wonder why they do this though, instead of making adrenaline more unique. Like giving a smaller energy capacity or whatever. Or a small resist bonus or anything of the sorts. In the end it's just a direct upgrade over mesh if you have the certs to spend. Which is stupid game design /imho
    Resist shield is still better for outdoor engagements, as is mesh gen. Adrenaline shield is a sidegrade and has quite high skill and cert floor, plus conditions need to be realized, for it to work that well. It is better at Towerfights, biolabs, techplant inner defenses, but at any place with more open ground it's worse than nanomesh. You really need to be godly to make it better than mesh, for average/above average player, like yourself, it's not even worth considering. It's for guys, who are exceptional at this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Henlaaz View Post
    edit: I also feel even worse at how much I suck playing HA with this setup when it was OP
    Likewise!

I kinda wish they'd refunded the resist shield certs as well as the nanoweave, those weren't certs spent in isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    Likewise!

I kinda wish they'd refunded the resist shield certs as well as the nanoweave, those weren't certs spent in isolation.
    Resist shield is kinda powerful on it's own and it wasn't changed. They gave back for stuff that was changed completely only.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    Resist shield is still better for outdoor engagements, as is mesh gen. Adrenaline shield is a sidegrade and has quite high skill and cert floor, plus conditions need to be realized, for it to work that well. It is better at Towerfights, biolabs, techplant inner defenses, but at any place with more open ground it's worse than nanomesh. You really need to be godly to make it better than mesh, for average/above average player, like yourself, it's not even worth considering. It's for guys, who are exceptional at this game.
    I really don't agree that it's only better when used at the high skill level. It's just that only the better players can actually afford that thing because it's insanely expensive and pretty shit on everything below cert level 3. In an cqc environment (which happens like a lot) where even average players are able to rank up a few kills fast it's (on max cert level) just outright better then mesh. The only benefit mesh has is that it recharges faster (which you also get by killing people with adrenaline on and off), also you usually recharge in cover anyway. If you are being shot at while your shield recharges in cqc you are either doing something wrong and are most likely dead anyway.
    So the actual defining niche for mesh is: "it's cheaper". Maybe mesh is less worse in outdoors combat but I find it hard to argue that the benefit in outdoors combat (especially when considering the option to also go for resist shield) is as noticeable as the difference in cqc. In cqc the strength of adrenaline just shows while outdoors the benefit of mesh doesn't seem to be equally strong. And that's not a sidegrade in my books. Especially when it's hidden behind such a cert wall. Yes, maybe not everyone can fully utilize the full benefit of the adrenaline shield. But it's just as hard to use the full benefit of the mesh shield either. Also most players simply wont notice the difference in mesh level 4 upwards anyway.

And I am not saying that the faster recharge time is useless. It's a nice thing to do some additional balancing. But it's only a secondary attribute because most of the time it simply wont matter. It's like balancing weapons around reload time. Yes, it's a stat you can use for balancing, but it would be stupid to balance weapons just in the light of reload time simply because most of the time you reload out of combat anyway. Other things like damage and mag size are just way more important for actual engagements. And overshields only benefit you in direct engagements.

In the end both shields have their pros and cons but I don't think that adrenaline shield actually is a sidegrade. They just had no idea how to make them both stick out as individual choices and decided to make an entry level and a "premium" level version of the same shield.
    Last edited by bonkers; 17-12-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    -remove spaces-

Here's a thing. I'd rather have mesh gen in bigger fights, adreno at medium tower fights (2 vs 2 squads max) and resist while fighting vehicles. Least as NC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    I tend to play HA conservatively so resist works very well for me as it's works if you switch it on and then enter a firefight. It's effectiveness reduces the less health you have.

For those who find themselves using the shield as a way to get themselves out of sticky situations, the standard NMG is much better. It's straightforward boost to hitpoints is simple and effective.

My biggest issue with adrenaline shield is the need to keep a high kill rate to make it effective. That assists don't effect it is particularly problematic.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Just to double check...

There's no way to buy anything (guns, camo, equip, etc) without being actually in-game?

A handy mobile app, or website, would be really popular at this time of year!

Network Hub
    Unfortunately, I don't think so. All I was able to find was this: https://www.planetside2.com/shop and it only seems to offer bundles.

Activated Node
    I think they said something about the web store and in-game store being completely different entities, so to have them both offer the same things they'd have to duplicate everything and make sure they talk to each other properly, and they want to focus on other stuff instead.

A few people have suggested using remote login software to log in and buy stuff if you leave your desktop on while you're away. My laptop doesn't have a hope in hell of running the game well but I'm crossing my fingers that it'll at least get me into the buy menu.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I was considering using TeamViewer for this, but leaving my computer running for the whole Christmas just to get a few cosmetics at 1SC just isn't worth it...
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    I was considering using TeamViewer for this, but leaving my computer running for the whole Christmas just to get a few cosmetics at 1SC just isn't worth it...
    Do you have any sort of laptop at all? I've downloaded PS2 onto mine which just has an Intel i3-2310M CPU (dual core 2.1 GHz, integrated HD 3000 graphics) and was really surprised that PS2 actually runs on it. Granted the FPS and quality are barely enough for snowman hunting, but it's more than enough to get into the market menu. I was expecting it to just huff and say "Bahaha no! What is this machine, a pocket calculator?!".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Well, yeah I do, but aren't brining it with me. Mine is something similar, probably with an even worse graphics chipset, though...
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningGloves View Post
    "Bahaha no! What is this machine, a pocket calculator?!"