Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    The Sony account used for Planetside 2 is not the same as a "Sony Entertainment Network" (the one used for PS3 and stuff) account, is it? I just came to notice that I have one of those and was wondering if I can safely delete it/send it into bit-nirvana?
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Since we have a fair amount of new players around, I think it's suitable to revive this very helpful thread.

Feel free to ask any question (primarily PS2-related) and the RPS hivemind will answer it!

I will begin and we will see how it works. Here's my question:

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer Giraffe
    I want to be helpful to the outfit when playing engineer and I've heard ammo packs are needed on the battlefield. Is it okay to equip a different utility item, like mines, instead? Or is the ammo pack more important?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Good question Engineer Giraffe!
    Ammo is of course vital and an important part of an engineer's role.

What you can do if you have something else equipped instead of ammo (like anti tank mines) is the following:

Select your turret. Press B. It now switches to an ammo pack you can drop!

I didn't realise this until not too long ago myself. It's a very nice way to add a bit more versatility for no loss.

Network Hub
    Speaking of turrets, Is there any way to use them as part of an offense? I had some joy as part of a defense but offensively I was a bit useless with them, plus being the one person running around with a turret out felt sort of like when you're in a spa and take off your dressing gown to realise you're in the clothing mandatory section.

Also, obviously it's a free game, but are there any must buys? Apart from giraffe camo, of course...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    just for clarification, engineers turrets or the fixed turrets of bases?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Anti infantry mana turrets are hard to use effectively in offense since they have a limited effective range and it takes too much time to deploy them (but brilliant in building defenses). Anti vehicle mana turrets can be used to good effect in offense because of the absurd range you can hit things at with a little practice, so the deploy time doesn't matter as much, also very good in open field defense, not very useful in building defense because of the low refire rate.
    Last edited by mrpier; 12-03-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guvornator View Post
    Also, obviously it's a free game, but are there any must buys? Apart from giraffe camo, of course...
    I would say that no, there are no essential buys. I have alts that I've spent no money on and they are fine in infantry combat. However, the standard vehicle weapons are (in my opinion) not as strong as the ones that you can buy and their cost in certs is generally quite high. The lightning's standard gun is the exception to this rule, it's pretty good but will soon be nerfed. So if you want to fly or drive tanks as a main role then perhaps consider dropping some cash on it but it's not essential. One perk of playing in the outfit is the huge number of long time players with nicely spec'd out vehicles looking for gunners.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Offensively turrets have some use, but not too much. They're good at defenses in an offense, though! Say you flipped the point on an Amp Station. You can deploy your turret next to the point and mow down any enemy who tries to flip it back. But if you're advancing on a position it's usually best to just keep moving and provide fire from your carbine. But if you think it might be useful, just deploy it. It's free!

Must buys? Hmm. There's no mandatory equipment, but there is stuff that is really nice to have. Things I would suggest you consider buying first are:

Some kind of AA option. That means, the second Burster arm for your MAX, the Skyguard turret for the Lightning tank, or the Nemesis AA shoulder fired rocket, or the Annihilator AA/AG shoulder fired rocket. If you're going to pay for it with certs, I would suggest a Nemesis. It's the cheapest at 250 certs. If you are going to spend Station Cash, I would suggest you get the Burster arm. The Annihilator might also be OK, it's a lock-on launcher that can lock on to tanks and aircraft. It's pretty versatile.

Some kind of anti tank option. This is less needed than the AA option, because you get a very good S1 launcher (dumbfire rocket) for free. The best upgrade to it would be the Lancer. The Lancer is basically an anti-tank laser. It has the longest range of any anti-tank weapon and is extremely deadly in groups. RPS have killed dozens of tanks at a time with just some 7-8 guys shooting Lancers.

Some kind of SMG. The SMG opens up a new class/role. The close range infiltrator. It's really fun, and the SMG is a very good close combat weapon. Best SMG (in my opinion) is the Sirius SX12. It's a rapid firing, high capacity, low damage per shot SMG. It's capable of dropping 3 guys per magazine if you're decent, and is very forgiving to new players because it has such a big magazine. You can use it on all classes as well.

Other than that there are weapons that are really good (each class has a weapon that's generally considered "best"), but they aren't mandatory. Because they're not best. They're best at the situation most people agree happens the most: close combat. The line of thinking is that you spawn with 2 working legs, so if something is not close combat you make it close combat.

Those weapons are:
    Light Assault/Engineer: Serpent (250 certs)
    Medic: H-V45 (250 certs)
    Heavy Assault: Orion (free! you start with it). SVA-88 (500 certs, pushes it out to medium range a bit more)

Must buys with certs are different from must buys with SC (i.e. cold hard cash).. Stuff that I've bought with the former that i'd recommend, upgrading the tool for your class (if appropriate), pimping out a recommended weapon.. grenades.. Stuff with the latter that I've bought.. too many guns.. too much camo.. too many accessories.. you start out feeling okay with the vanilla look then one of the outfit will slink past in their shiney helmet, swanky camo, badass armor.. (qaz, nick, cephas, lakroy its your fault) ..

dewi.. cmaster.. the list of my fashion icons is too long to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Henlaaz View Post
    you start out feeling okay with the vanilla look then one of the outfit will slink past in their shiney helmet, swanky camo, badass armor.. (qaz, nick, cephas, lakroy its your fault) ..
    Oops . I'm loving the change with camo that means I can have it on my guns for no extra cost.
    I need to buy some new cosmetics...

Also, obviously it's a free game, but are there any must buys?
    The best advice for this would be find someone who has a similar play style to yours. Then ask him or her to what weapons they prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    The best advice for this would be find someone who has a similar play style to yours. Then ask him or her to what weapons they prefer.
    One thing I'd point out is that not everyone goes with what is considered "best". I certainly don't. A lot of the game is about feel. Dewi and I will wax lyrical about the NS-15M, but a lot of people would say to use the SVA-88 or Orion on the heavy assault.

Same goes for medic. For a long time H-V45 was the standard go to, but since moving to the Corvus I'm happier.

What I'd recommend is doing as Dom said to get a few ideas. Try them all out in VR (you have access to everything here) with various configs to narrow down what you like, then trial them in game to see how they perform in actual firefights.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    just for clarification, engineers turrets or the fixed turrets of bases?
    Engineers turrets. On a related question, can anyone use a deployed turret? I just ask because I saw a few around, but could never grab one. EDIT: would they be squad-locked? Also thanks for the responses so far!
    Last edited by Guvornator; 12-03-2014 at 10:56 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    can anyone use a deployed turret?
    No, only the person that deploys it can use it.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Obscure Node
    Hi everyone i'm new to this game and this forum. I've been playing with some of you the past few nights, it's been fun but very confusing. I just noticed the certs thing last night and i had about 112 so i spent them on the medic tool upgrades and 3 flak armour upgrades. Is it worth upgrading the medic weapon next? or the scope?

There's loads of questions i have when i'm playing but i forget most of them now.

Is there an upgrade that lets you hold more than one grenade? Do the engineer ammo bags resupply grenades?

Does the squad deploy button just deploy you at a spawn point near to your squad or does it actually have a special function?

I noticed you don't die when dropping out of an aircraft, but you do when falling off a building. Is there a reason for this?

Is there an upgrade that lets you hold more than one grenade? Do the engineer ammo bags resupply grenades?
    Grenade bandolier increases the amount of grenades you can carry. And no, ammo packs don't resupply grenades. Basic rule, it it cost resources then it doesn't resupply from ammo packs.

Does the squad deploy button just deploy you at a spawn point near to your squad or does it actually have a special function?
    Closest spawn option to your SL. I am not sure if it takes into account vehicle spawns or not, but it does take into account spawn beacons.

I noticed you don't die when dropping out of an aircraft, but you do when falling off a building. Is there a reason for this?
    The galaxy gives you protection from fall damage as you jump out. All other air vehicles need an upgrade for this.

This might also be something interesting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Forkrul View Post
    I just noticed the certs thing last night and i had about 112 so i spent them on the medic tool upgrades and 3 flak armour upgrades. Is it worth upgrading the medic weapon next? or the scope?
    For the most part - iron sights work really well to be honest. The main thing to go for is soft point ammunition if your gun allows it.

I really really recommend getting the full medic tool upgrade (500 certs at top level). You'll find every medic will say that, and you'll also find that as soon as everyone gets the top level they say "Why didn't I do this first!? It's game changing!". I know I did! Much faster reviving, and they get full health.

Plus in a biolab it'll pay for itself very quickly!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkrul View Post
    Hi everyone i'm new to this game and this forum. I've been playing with some of you the past few nights, it's been fun but very confusing. I just noticed the certs thing last night and i had about 112 so i spent them on the medic tool upgrades and 3 flak armour upgrades. Is it worth upgrading the medic weapon next? or the scope?

There's loads of questions i have when i'm playing but i forget most of them now.

We're always happy to answer questions in a quiet moment.

Medic tool upgrades are a license to print certs. Make sure you actually apply your Flak armour after buying it.

1) Yes. Grenade Bandoliers allow all classes to hold extra grenades of any type. However, generally speaking, you'll not be using that for normal grenades. All thrown grenades have a resource cost (it varies, but it's 50 by default IIRC). However, underbarrel grenade launchers fire "free" grenades with no resource cost. So, Medics often use Bandoliers to carry extra Revive/Healing grenades, and a Heavy might carry extra Concussion/Anti Vehicle grenades, but throwing extra Frag grenades is taxing on resources.

2) No. However, ammo packs do give extra rockets and underbarrel grenades.

3) Squad Deploy now simply puts you at the nearest spawn to your Squad Leader. Deploying on a Spawn Beacon will drop you in from the sky on that location.

4) Fall damage prevention. You take damage if you bail out of aircraft, but not if you're falling out of a Galaxy below the flight ceiling area. You also take no fall damage from jump pads or grav lifts. Grav lifts grant about 4-5 seconds immunity to fall damage, so you can run through a lift and then jump a small distance. Otherwise, you take fall damage.

Obscure Node
    Very helpful, thanks.