Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar

Rock, Paper, Star Citizen

Although we already have the hangar thread I thought we might need a "social" thread soon, with the dogfighting module likely to be released in a few weeks.

Also the 26th is near, you all have your wallets ready? ;)
    I don't think I will be getting anything too fancy. Thinking about swapping my Aurora to either an Aurora LN or getting an Avenger. But there is also is the Xi'An Scout and the Banu trader coming which might be a good addition to my 300i.

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    So the Organization thingy is live and I snagged the RPS tag for us:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/RPS

Everybody is welcome. I will see to hit to get familiar with the whole admin thing. If long term board members want admin rights in the org, tell me. Not like much will happen there right now, but hey. It's good to have ;)
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 07-05-2014 at 07:18 AM.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I don't really care for the sale they're doing, but I do care for how wild the funding graph will go on the main page.

For those coming into this thread wondering what on earth Star Citizen is...

Star Citizen is a pseudo-MMO, a persistent universe where players can take on numerous roles, be it pirate or bounty hunter, miner or explorer, and fly in shiny space-ships. You'll be able to fly around in single-seater craft designed for dog-fighting or racing, or in multi-crew cargo transports hauling goods from one system to another in a bid to make the biggest trade you can do, all the while hoping your crew won't have to defend itself from pirate boarders.

Squadron 42 is a single player (with co-op available) campaign with dozens of missions of you serving in the Earth military. Completing your tour of service will reward you in a currently unknown way in coming into the persistent universe, but completion is not necessary for the Star Citizen component.

This (now upgraded video) was what was designed to get the ball rolling. There are currently three adverts for the different ship series available: 300 series, Aurora 2944 series and the Hornet series. This video was used to display what planet-side may look like; if you've played Freelancer, think a more mobile version of the menu you had to select places to go.

How will the economy work? Chris Roberts explains how. Well, where do you go to exchange all of those goods? Have a look at this (slightly dated) Galaxy Map.

FAQ:
    When is it due out?

The release will be modular until the full release available to the public in a speculated early 2015. The ship hangar module is currently available for those eligible for the alpha. The dogfighting module is expected sometime around the new year, be it before or after. Testing for the campaign is expected sometime in the first half of next year.

What is the entry fee?

The cheapest entry is for the Digital Scout at $30. This will gain you access to the full game on release, along with the starter Aurora ship. For access to the alpha and beta (including the hangar and dogfighting modules) you'll need to spend $40 on the Digital Mercenary. Of course, if you already have friends who count as 'Original Backers', you may be able to arrange for you to get a package for you at a slightly different price with different rewards, such as a Digital Scout at $35 that provides alpha and beta access, as well as lifte-time insurance on your craft, however this service will only available until the 26th of November.

What is life-time insurance?

For original backers or packages bought by original backers, it provides free unlimited insurance on your stock craft and equipped items. Insurance is necessary in-game such that if you lose cargo or equipment, you'll be able to get it back if you have insurance coverage. Not every ship is insurable and life-time insurance only covers original equipment, meaning its usefulness is an early advantage, but by no means a game-breaker.

What peripheral support is there?

Occulus Rift is guaranteed, along with standard controls for KB+M, 360 controller and various joysticks. You're pretty well covered, really.

Can my PC run it?

The requirements for the ship hangar are not really set-in-stone, but it is worth bearing in mind that the game is due out in 2015 and as such is being designed with a forecasted 2015 hardware in mind. That said, if you can run what is available now, you should be able to run the full game, but obviously if you just scrape by now, you will want to consider upgrading before its official release.

Is there any media not presented by RSI?

Yes, tons. Doing a Google search for screenshtos from the hangar and people messing around with the game should provide a wealth of content. Searching YouTube for similar things should result in plenty of walk-throughs too.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

The dogfighting module is for certain backers only, right?
    I pledged at digital scout level so I think I'm out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    If you have alpha access, you should have access to the dogfighting module. I think when you got the digital scout will determine that. If you're an original backer, I believe you have access.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    I'm backed at the Digital Scout level, I will absolutely be up for joining some coordinated RPS space shenanigans when it releases, sadly that is more than a year away.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    If you have alpha access, you should have access to the dogfighting module. I think when you got the digital scout will determine that. If you're an original backer, I believe you have access.
    Great!
    I've just checked and I indeed have alpha access. I'd love to join you for some nice shootouts.
    AND IN THE GAME!

As much as I am looking forward to actually being able to fly my ships, you guys do know that the Dogfighting module is single player vs AI, right?

Although a thread where RPS Citizens can chat about how epic their ships are is welcome! :D

I don't think I'll be buying anything in the sale as I've probably spent far too much as it is. I may melt down my Origin 315p if the Xi'an Scout is actually an exploration ship....depending on what the price is. /wallet /cry
    Last edited by Carpe_Dentum; 21-11-2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: smelling pistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe_Dentum View Post
    As much as I am looking forward to actually being able to fly my ships, you guys do know that the Dogfighting module is single player vs AI, right?
    The first version, yes. Multiplayer support will be added later with a patch.
    -remove spaces-

In 1,5 hours the four hour livestream is going to start. Dunno they will show during that but they promised that it's going to be interesting (lot of Q&A though which might not be that interesting for non-backers)

link
    -remove spaces-

It's me again. CIG released most of the videos they showed yesterday on their website. Head over to:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/
    To get all the vids about music, HUD design, etc etc.

Also the one showing new graohic effects and the Avenger redesign:

And what can I say... Melted my Aurora for that. I am weak :(

PS: The hangar still has the old model
    -remove spaces-

After watching the livestream I had the over whelming urge to buy the Avenger. It was the containment cells and the access from the cockpit that really got me interested. However I've already spent far too much and do need to leave at least one ship for when the game comes out! :/

Were those screen shots taken with a 3rd party app, or have they actually got a hot key for that in game that I haven't found yet?

Yeah. I pretty much got the same problem. I really wanted to keep my Aurora LN but I think it's the first ship I would ditch anyway and I got my 300i with a 10USD voucher so I wanted to keep that. Was only 25USD more anyways so melting my Aurora was still "okay". But I am not going to buy anymore ships from what it seems. I wanted to get the scout, but 150USD? No, thank you.

I took them with Fraps. I don't know if they have a key do to screenshots, but I doubt it. There are "two major patches" incoming, maybe it get added then.
    -remove spaces-

I had the same thought about the scout, I had considered melting either (or both) my Aurora or Origin, but not for that price! It was a bit of a shock really, I had hoped that it would be a reasonable amount. I bet they still sold a lot of them though.

Yeah I keep meaning to download something to grab screen shots, but haven't got around to it. I'd like my Constellation as a desktop background. :)

I already have alpha access, but Im still a bit sceptical about this game. we will see what really comes out of it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Although I really love the idea behind the game I have the feeling that a lot of people (especially those that put 150+ USD into it already) might be disappointed. Even with the 33 million they have (and most likely 40+ million when the game is released) the first iterations will most likely still lack some functionality. People expect a fully fledged out World of WarCraft when games are released and neglect that it took WoW years to get where it is now.
    -remove spaces-

I suppose that would depend on what their expectations are, I'm sure some people will have an idea stuck in their heads; "This game will be like *this*.." and then get disappointed when the game doesn't meet their exact specifications.

For me the bit I'm most looking forward to is the life aboard a ship, being able to freely move around the ship is something I've wanted in a space sim since I played Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter on the Xbox. While it's not anything like a space sim I found being free to move around the ship while just floating in space was really immersive. Being in the cargo hold and then finding yourself under attack and having to rush back to the cockpit was really enjoyable.

So as long as they have a bit of trading, mining and exploration to go with the random attacks while your sat in the john, I'll be happy. :D

Hey, i have a question about this. Basically, the description of this game sounds too good to be true. After the recent disappointment that X-Rebirth proved to be, i am still looking for that sandbox space game and i found out quite recently about this. However, even after the explanation of JG-man (which really helps a lot), i am still a bit dazzled with the options you can support this project with. There are so many ships with all kind of interesting options, but how can i understand them without the game being playable? Also, since some ships are very expensive, i guess this will mean it will be near impossible to earn the credits in game for this and buy them via in game currency, right? So, assuming i just want alpha/beta acces and see where this game is going, will it be the best to purchase the digital mercenary, or do you guys advice to buy a bit more expensive ship because it is obviously better?

Well, let's start off with that a lot of the things are still unknown so everything is running on vague or less vague dev statements. With the current ships it's more a leap of faith thing. We know roughly what the ships are about but we actually dont know much yet. If you have any more specific questions, just put them here.
    For a starter I currently would advise to buy a Aurora LN package, but depending on what you want to do later on and if you are willing to spend more there might be better options. But that varies from a case to case basis.

Every ship you can buy now can be bought ingame with ingame currency. There currently are no fixed numbers but Chris Roberst once mentioned that he would expect ships like the Constellation (225 USD, which currently is the second biggest ship you can buy) will take about 60-100 hours to earn ingame. So I think the smaller ships will surely be achievable in a reasonable amount of time. Also players will be able to auction ships they no longer need, so you might also be able to get them even cheaper.

Also "better" is a hard to define term. The Hornet will most likely be the best dogfighter, but it wont be able to do any serious exploration, salvaging or trading. A Freelancer is way better at that. So in the end "better" depends on what you want to do. For every profession there is a perfect ship. Of course there are the ones which can do a bit of everything, but wont excel at any.
    -remove spaces-

Cheers for the fast and complete answer :) I will probably go for the Aurora LN then. 3 months of Insurance seems a bit low, considering i could have gotten life time Insurance as well if i was fast enough, but assuming they work the same like in Eve Online, that shouldn;t be too bad. Looking forward to this game!

Don't worry about the Life Time Insurance (LTI), you would probably not get much use out of it in the end. The Insurance only covers the base ship and equipment it comes with, so if you upgrade your equipment it won't be covered by the LTI.

Some people on the RSI forums seem to think they'll never have to insure any of their ships if they have LTI, they are wrong. :D