View Poll Results: Which Retro Manshoot should we do first?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Quake 3 / Live

8 22.86%
  • Brink

5 14.29%
  • Enemy Territory Quake Wars

6 17.14%
  • Unreal Tournament 2004

21 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Retro Manshooting #1

I have been itching to organise a retro manshoot type event.
    Ive talked to Jim about it and he was definitely interested, if his Sir! doesn't obstruct him from joining us, so we will probably have the combined efforts of the main readership.

Ive suggested 4 games for the first couple of evenings, I will probably end up running 3 of the 4.

Vote for the first, please!

(Note: Ive activated multiple votes, I suggest choosing one deathmatchy type game and one team-objective type game)
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    UT2K4. UT2K4. UT2K4. And so on and so forth.

Excellent idea, really.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Why not UT99? Its still great!
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    Hm. I liked UT99, but I dont know how well it holds on newer machines. I know its free, but... Hm.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Q3!!

/10char
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    UT2K4! I've never really played Quake 3 but I think I own it on Steam, so I wouldn't mind checking that out either.
    steam: sketch

Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    This. A thousand times this.

UT99 plays just fine on my not-that-old Win 7 laptop, and is the obvious deathmatch choice for the gamer of discriminating taste. Which is to say that that's what we played in my dorm instead of Quake 3.

Virtual hug/commiserative nod to the two other people who voted for Brink.

I should have probably told yall that well be playing ALL OF THEM, this is just to determine which one first.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    I should have probably told yall that well be playing ALL OF THEM, this is just to determine which one first.
    But only the real man and woman with a distinguished taste for indiscriminate shooting and killing go for Unreal Tournament(99!). Especially the gruesome instagib mode.

Bread?

I'm sorry but three of those games certainly are everything but retro. I don't want to sound like an ass but when I read the thread I was anticipating something else and not Brink, a game which purchase still taunts me to this very day for spending all that cash on launch. You guys have fun though, but retro it ain't (excluding Q3).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurrah View Post
    I'm sorry but three of those games certainly are everything but retro. I don't want to sound like an ass but when I read the thread I was anticipating something else and not Brink, a game which purchase still taunts me to this very day for spending all that cash on launch. You guys have fun though, but retro it ain't (excluding Q3).
    I agree with that, Quake Wars ET is 2004, UT04 is 2003, brink is 2011(WTF? why that?). Only Q3 is retro still. If you have Brink as Retro then that makes UT3 also retro.

Bread?

dont really care and find it sad that you waste your time posting in here if youre not participating.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I do not own UT2k4, but if people were going to play it and it goes on sale during the steam sale before you all do, I will buy it and play it with you.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I am considering switching to UT99 because it is free.

also, getting quake wars is tricky, Im working on a solution of getting the game to people.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Just a suggestion but since you seem intent on having a Splash Damage game to honor Ed Stern, why not go for Wolfenstein ET? It's free, certainly more retro than QW and Brink, and Splash Damage. And the better game in my book but that's just a nice bonus, I still like the other two :)
    Last edited by Skhalt; 11-07-2013 at 12:59 PM.

I disagree. I think quake wars is better. and brink is on there because a lot of people (unjustly) hated the game. though if it doesnt work out with qw, we could go for et, yes.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    dont really care and find it sad that you waste your time posting in here if youre not participating.
    That's just the thing, I read the title and thought to myself "Hmmmm, nice - some Duke or Doom or Quake or Half Life Deathmatch" instead I discovered that your and my definition of retro seem to be diverging quite dramatically. I would've gladly participated but your proposal doesn't really tickle my retro-nerve. All the best though, and sorry for having tainted your thread with a, in my opinion justified interjection.

I like shooting and being shot at, so I guess I'm in - some old-school Quake or Unreal sounds like fun. Also, no Counter-Strike?

Brink is unplayable for me though; I never got it to run for more than 10 minutes at a time without a crash to desktop.

Network Hub
    Your retro list makes me feel very old.

Also jedi knight is missing.