Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Really? because in a game Im currently playing with a friend of mine, he and I in a team the AI isnt, they just all declared war on us in a couple of turns space.
    To quote Henry Temple,

Therefore I say that it is a narrow policy to suppose that this country or that is to be marked out as the eternal ally or the perpetual enemy of England. We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow.

There's pretty much only a few reasons the AI will invade you, and they're all telegraphed on the diplomacy screen:

1) They envy your lands (because you expanded on what they planned to expand to)
    2) They envy your relations (because you're allies with city-states they're near)
    3) They have close borders with you (see 1)

Everything else is just an excuse to fix one of those three, which is probably why it may look schizophrenic. Good relations breed good relations, but politeness doesn't stop them from wanting to expand.

They invade, however, when they think they can get away with it, and judge this largely on how many of your military units they can see. Having a large standing army isn't necessary, but having a standing army on their border staring them in the face is more than enough to cow them into grumbling to themselves quietly.

Big stick diplomacy works in Civilization 5. You can actually get away with being a less-than-stellar neighbor if you just stack units near their borders whenever they start complaining. Likewise, open border agreements may be a tad risky as, while they foster good relations, they may also be the vanguard of an expeditionary force.
    Last edited by Nalano; 11-07-2013 at 06:29 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Hm. But it seems to come from nowhere, really. Im a model neighbour, and I guess they saw an easy target. (but fail to actually attack properly.)

Ah well.

It also probably doesnt help Im a huge empire but with only three cities under my control. (and about 10 puppets)
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Network Hub
    In the off-chance that anyone else didn't even contemplate this possibility - there's a demo available on Steam. A demo!
    (You play as Morocco for a bit. Right up until it starts to get at all tasty in my single experience.)

Somewhat on-topic - can I still play multiplayer matches against people who don't have any of the expansions?
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Somewhat on-topic - can I still play multiplayer matches against people who don't have any of the expansions?
    yes, but without your expansions active.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The Yurope release is broken. The expansion won't download.

Network Hub
    Try restarting Steam now. It's getting 1GB of something ...

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    The Yurope release is broken. The expansion won't download.
    Same here (in Germany). Oh, the misery.

Network Hub
    Changing download servers to USA - New York is working for people on the steam forums
    Click Steam -> Settings -> Download and change it to USA - New York

yes, but without your expansions active.
    Good - thanks for the info. I supposed it would somehow work like that but wasn't sure.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post

Since you can disable the first expansion in the DLC menu I guess all the relevant game information is patched into every version of Civ 5, but it's not unlocked until said DLC is present and enabled.
    Well that has to be true as well. As I, despite not owning the new expansion, could play with someone in multi who has and play the expansion that way.

actually, I got it here in Austria. do you have the german version of steam or the english one? that makes a difference. (I got the english one)
    - Tom De Roeck.

So, Rob Zachny liked it but Tom Chick hated it. Then again, while I value his ideas I pretty much never agree with Tom Chick or John Walker about game reviews.

fuck tom chick. Im liking it so far.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Network Hub
    fuck tom chick. Im liking it so far.
    Just fuck Tom Chick.

harder. and so on.

Did the terracotta army always give you duplicate land units?
    - Tom De Roeck.

It's already 33% off on Steam during the next few hours, madness.

Just started a game with Assyria plus random map type. Looks like islands so far. The AI was especially terrible at naval warfare and didn't really push for the relevant technologies, even on island maps. Also, some of the new UAs look pretty overpowered at first glance (looking at you here, Poland, Venice, Soshone).

And there I've bought it. Always liked Civ V, especially with Gods and Kings.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wow, 33% off, unexpected. Going to piss off some fans who buy it Day 1/Pre-order. Thought about getting it earlier in the week, glad I waited.

Also for new buyers, the Gold Edition includes all the small DLC and God & Kings bundled for cheap.

That plus 33% off Brave gets you the full game for $32.58 during the flash deal. And if you own Civ5 base with no/little DLC, its only $5 to upgrade to Gold.
    Last edited by Moraven; 12-07-2013 at 03:32 PM.