Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Wow, 33% off, unexpected. Going to piss off some fans who buy it Day 1/Pre-order. Thought about getting it earlier in the week, glad I waited.
    They had it on promotional rates at various times even before it came out. This is Steam we're talking about.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I don't get why Gods and Kings on its own is 10 while you can get that with all the DLC for 2.50...makes absolutely no sense because obviously your going to go with the latter one!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    They had it on promotional rates at various times even before it came out. This is Steam we're talking about.
    It had the standard pre-order 10% off. I never saw it dip below that on Steam before release. Must of missed it if it went below that.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    It had the standard pre-order 10% off. I never saw it dip below that on Steam before release. Must of missed it if it went below that.
    Yeah I don't think it went below 10% on Steam but you could get it cheaper at other sites like GreenManGaming by using one of their general-purpose or pre-order discount codes. I picked it up for the equivalent of 33% off back in mid-June from GMG. Other sites may have been running similar promotions as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The game now takes touchscreen input. Don't know if that's new.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    The game now takes touchscreen input. Don't know if that's new.
    That was an update around the time that Windows 8 came out. Apparently playing it on the Surface is meant to be pretty sexy.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    The DLC for this game was odd. It started off kind of nickel-and-dimey, then suddenly they stopped. I wonder how the economics of it worked out for them?

For what it's worth, if you can catch all of it in a bundle on sale it's probably worth it, as the Civs they added fit nicely into the game and some of them (notably Polynesia) bring some cool stuff to the table. The Ancient Wonders pack is the only one that I feel is essential, as those wonders are very nice additions and are always "on" and the scenario is actually kind of fun (I'd like to see it included in the game as an alternate victory condition, actually). In fact, I think the Temple of Zeus is included with Brave New World, as it now can only be built if you take the appropriate social policies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    the Civs they added fit nicely into the game and some of them (notably Polynesia) bring some cool stuff to the table
    I like all the "unique to play" civilizations, whose rules substantively change the way you have to approach trade/warfare.

Polynesia's interesting because they're meant to ocean-fare from the start.
    Indonesia's interesting because they're meant to extend to other continents as a matter of course due to the unique luxuries.
    Portugal's interesting because they can bypass the need for city-state relations to get city-state resources.
    Austria's interesting because they can annex city-states with money.
    Venice's interesting because they can puppet city-states with great merchants. Also, they're a one-city game, no matter what.

I still focus on the Civs that give more mundane bonuses because I like large, contiguous empires comprised of cities I can locate myself.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I like Austria. Not just because I actually live here, but they lend themselves to playing with only a few large cities, and heaps and heaps of puppets.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

^

The diplomacy screen dialogue of Maria Theresa kills me every time. "Bringen wir es hinter uns, um 4 Uhr wird gespeist."
    There's a great thread over at civfanatics.com with translations for all leaders, in case you were wondering what Darius or Nebu are telling you (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=398606).

The AI still can't handle ships properly, my first BNW game is all but over at this point and all it took was six ships. Ocean trade routes bring in insane amounts of cash, I'm swimming in gold compared to some G&K games.

Id love to have played with the first austrian republics leader though. He once sealed a deal (the independance of Austria as opposed to inclusing behind the iron curtain) by drinking a russian diplomat under the table.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

It seems the automated workers still go on a rampage occasionally. They keep building trading posts around one of my city, and when they finish they rebuild the same trading posts again and again and again. I guess I'll have to get my nerve-staple.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They gave everyone who purchased it before the Summer sale a giftable copy of Civ IV on Steam, saying it was a mistake for it to be on sale.

Glad I got it for -33% off then!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Is there an easy way to find newly revealed resources?
    As the map gets filled with icons I can barely see them even when I switch map views and icons. Moving archaeologists around is misery.
    Am I missing something here or is end-game resource finding a hidden object minigame?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, the map gets awfully cluttered. Not much to be done about it.

I concur, the antiquity sites are a pain to find (especially the first time when you don't even know what your are supposed to look for).

Quote Originally Posted by Skhalt View Post
    I concur, the antiquity sites are a pain to find (especially the first time when you don't even know what your are supposed to look for).
    Isnt there a building or social policy that finds all hidden antiquity sites?

Also, so far, I havent been racing to get more of those, isnt it limited to the amount of great works you can hold anyway?
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    It would be cool to just have a little triangle or something showing where all the new resources are...I don't think it would take much to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Isnt there a building or social policy that finds all hidden antiquity sites?

Also, so far, I havent been racing to get more of those, isnt it limited to the amount of great works you can hold anyway?
    I was talking about the antiquity sites, those that just appear when you get to the modern era (didn't bother with the hidden ones). When your country is covered in land improvements you don't even notice the new ruins thingies :D

Quote Originally Posted by Skhalt View Post
    I was talking about the antiquity sites, those that just appear when you get to the modern era (didn't bother with the hidden ones). When your country is covered in land improvements you don't even notice the new ruins thingies :D
    ah right. well it actually looks quite distinct if you switch off the resources. they look like broken amphitheater.
    - Tom De Roeck.