Recommend me a mouse!

I've got a Razer Diamondback 3G, and it's pretty decent (aside from not getting some of the extra features to work on my new computer). My main issue with it is that the side mouse buttons are so far back that I can only effectively use the front one (number 4 in the hierarchy) without putting my thumb into an uncomfortable position, where it ends up pressing both. Is there any mouse that would have those buttons further forward, and possibly be suited to my giant shovelhands? I'm looking at a 30-50 quid price range, but cheaper would be awesome.

I have quite large hands and I use a Logitech G9.

By the way, I think there are some threads floating around here with the answers.

Logitech Performance MX
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Thanks for the suggestions, but looking at both of those, while awesome, it seems that they both have the same original problem as my current mouse; the side buttons being far back, halfway along the side of the mouse. I'm looking for ones with side buttons near the front of the mouse.

This Microsoft Sidewinder is the mouse I use and I have the biggest hands. Although from googling your mouse, it is nowhere near as stylish.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    My mx1000 is nearly 10 years old, I went through 2 chargers and 6 keyboards in that time before eventually being retired

Insanely it still holds its charge for a whole day.

Dont make them like that anymore.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I use this 'ere trackball: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-0.../dp/B0043T7FXE

Is best thing. (Takes a day or two to get used to if you haven't used one, granted). Not really needing to clear desk space to use it when I move my laptop, is lovely, but it's also just comfy and I find it to be more responsive than a mouse for games especially when you can execute grand sweeping motions with a flick of the thumb -- perhaps it is not the best for especially fiddly sniper-games, but everything else is good.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

I use Coolermaster Sentinel Advance II. Quite satisfied with it (the two side buttons are okay to me, though I do not have large hands - which is relative - but more like... average?).

However, the most important bit - it can glow (at least from parts of it)!

Quote Originally Posted by PhatChance52 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, but looking at both of those, while awesome, it seems that they both have the same original problem as my current mouse; the side buttons being far back, halfway along the side of the mouse. I'm looking for ones with side buttons near the front of the mouse.
    How do you grip the mouse? I hold it with my thumb and pinky finger on either side, middle on the scroll wheel and index and ring working the l/r buttons. With some mice this means simply gripping the thing entails accidentally clicking the side buttons, but not with e.g. MX518/G4/G400s which have those buttons high enough above a groove for the thumb that I must deliberately reach for them (and that's probably my favorite mouse body ever made).

I suppose that wasn't very helpful, but I just find mouse grips interesting.

http://www.razerzone.com/mouseguide/ergonomic/advantage

Depending on what I'm doing my finger arrangement doesn't change much but the way I move the mouse varies between what Razer describes as palm and claw grips; usually palm for most things, but claw if I'm relapsing into an old-school twitch shooter escapade or an intense bit of RTS/RTT requiring much precision (that change happens unconsciously, which is cool).

As far as which mice have buttons farther up towards the front... I dunno!

The Perixx MX-2000 is a German mouse available for $30 in the States, and it looks like the side buttons are pretty far up there... whether they're easily accessible would depend on your grip and hand size, though.

I'm just kinda looking through a store here for mice with high 4/5 placement...

I can't find a listing for this on Rapoo's website because I can't read Chinese and it's not on the English section, but here's their v3 mouse at DealExtreme for 42 USD. Several of the side buttons seem above the middle of that mouse, although they don't appear to be traditional side buttons but rather top-down buttons aligned to the side. I don't know if their microswitches are oriented vertically as with 1/2/3 or horizontally as with traditional side buttons or diagonally (something in between).

Hm!

Sharkoon Fireglider.
    Extra button by the scroll wheel for the long of finger.
    Two siders under my thumb towards the front.
    Adjustable weight for the ham fisted.
    Good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jambe View Post
    How do you grip the mouse? I hold it with my thumb and pinky finger on either side, middle on the scroll wheel and index and ring working the l/r buttons. With some mice this means simply gripping the thing entails accidentally clicking the side buttons, but not with e.g. MX518/G4/G400s which have those buttons high enough above a groove for the thumb that I must deliberately reach for them (and that's probably my favorite mouse body ever made).

I suppose that wasn't very helpful, but I just find mouse grips interesting.

http://www.razerzone.com/mouseguide/ergonomic/advantage

Depending on what I'm doing my finger arrangement doesn't change much but the way I move the mouse varies between what Razer describes as palm and claw grips; usually palm for most things, but claw if I'm relapsing into an old-school twitch shooter escapade or an intense bit of RTS/RTT requiring much precision (that change happens unconsciously, which is cool).

As far as which mice have buttons farther up towards the front... I dunno!

The Perixx MX-2000 is a German mouse available for $30 in the States, and it looks like the side buttons are pretty far up there... whether they're easily accessible would depend on your grip and hand size, though.

I'm just kinda looking through a store here for mice with high 4/5 placement...

I can't find a listing for this on Rapoo's website because I can't read Chinese and it's not on the English section, but here's their v3 mouse at DealExtreme for 42 USD. Several of the side buttons seem above the middle of that mouse, although they don't appear to be traditional side buttons but rather top-down buttons aligned to the side. I don't know if their microswitches are oriented vertically as with 1/2/3 or horizontally as with traditional side buttons or diagonally (something in between).

Hm!
    Some of those look pretty good actually. As for the grip I think mine is somewhere between fingertip and claw, but I tend to hold the mouse quite forward, or my grip slides forward as I play. Either way it makes bending back to hit the side buttons awkward for my thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorltonwheelie View Post
    Sharkoon Fireglider.
    Extra button by the scroll wheel for the long of finger.
    Two siders under my thumb towards the front.
    Adjustable weight for the ham fisted.
    Good price.
    This one seems good too, and a nice compromise price vs. function wise. Thanks!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This is such a subjective thing - all I can really do is plug my own choices which are both Logitechs

MX518 - I've had it 3.5years and it's 'as new' in terms of how well it works. The G400 is the current/slightly upgraded version - I'd have another in a heartbeat, tho I may never need one.

G600 - I've had this just under 3 months. I got it as I saw it on sale and was curious whether I'd use ALL THOSE BUTTONs - and I assumed I'd only use it for MMOs. Reality is that whilst I use maybe half the buttons at most, the 'third' button (ring or pinky depending on grip) is just a bloody brilliant thing so it's my mouse-of-choice for everything atm

Both are exceptional quality - but the software for customising the G600 is a bit flaky and randomly resets stuff from time-to-time - be prepared to arm-wrestle it.

Note: As much as I like Logi mice, I hate their keyboards so I'm not a fanboy - honest :)

p.s. I looked hard at Roccat's mice and whilst I liked them, I read nothing but bad things about tech support and warranty (they deby the need to warrant a mouse for more than 1 year which is not only against the law, it's also insulting on a 70 mouse)