Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar

Hi-Rez, one of the worst PC game companies?

I'm gonna copy/paste my comment from the article. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...tribes-ascend/

Let it be known that this will be the last time Hi-Rez gets a cent from me. This is the second game (that Iím aware of) that theyíve done this with. The first was Global Agenda. They seem to be chasing that big payday rather than simply settling for what they have. Global Agenda and Tribes might not have had the largest player bases around, but they both had a dedicated one that would have continued to support either game if given the chance.
    They seem to be fairly good at making a game but horrible at the business end of it. Tribes is a good measure of this, they really tried to nickel and dime everyone. $10 for a gun? Blatently imbalanced new weapons that get nerfed after everyone buys them? They werenít subtle about their desire to rip you off.
    Either way, Iím done with this company. I really like GA and Tribes as games, but their business model sucks and their lack of support sucks.

I really dislike this kind of "fly by night" business practice. I don't think anyone should support them anymore. What are your thoughts?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    The thieving shits that made War Z (retitled Infection Survivor Stories or something) are a power of 10 worse.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    I really don't know if they are doing this of purpose but after this happened again I think they do.
    Hi-Rez always starts new projects when their "old" ones aren't even old and still would need a lot of support. But because they already have the new flavour of the month in the making the old ones get dropped. If you operate this way it of course would make sense to squeeze as much money out of it within the first year...
    As said I don't know if they do this on purpose, but as you said, the release of clearly overpowered weapons (plasma guns, jackal) and other stuff that happened really leaves a bad impression. Again.
    Luckily I don't play mobas and am done with GA. So I doubt I will have to deal with them again within the next three years at least. Until they announce Tribes Ascend 2 in 2016.

PS: Just because someone else is worse doesn't mean that someone else can't be bad.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    The thieving shits that made War Z (retitled Infection Survivor Stories or something) are a power of 10 worse.
    I was about to post the exact same thing... freaky.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Maybe there's more details behind this, but on the surface this looks like a case of a company refusing to take the responsibility associated with an MMO. It's not the no strings attached pile of free money some in the industry seem to think it is.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    The company probably just isn't big enough to support all those games fully and not profitable enough to rely on a single game for revenue. I don't see how that makes Hi-Rez "the worst".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I think the most egregious thing Hi-Rez have done to me is leave a load of crap behind on my PC after I uninstalled Tribes: Ascend (I found it to be most dull, but releasing that close to Planetside 2 meant it was eclipsed by that particular superior F2P for me anyway so I never bothered to give it a chance), including some sort of DRM-looking process. No thank you. Hi-Rez have not made and will not make any money out of me. Good day to you sir.

Network Hub
    the "dedicated" Tribes player base wanted HiRez to stop "updating" the game a long time ago

it's not an MMO that needs content or support. It just needed bugfixes and maybe some quality-of-life enhancements

I would have rejoiced at this news if it happened around launch...
    no more updates? yes please

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    The company probably just isn't big enough to support all those games fully and not profitable enough to rely on a single game for revenue. I don't see how that makes Hi-Rez "the worst".
    When you setup a F2P online game where people are paying for "premium" subscriptions and microstransactions out the ass, you better well support the game for more than a year.

As I said in the OP it seems like they have no idea how to run a business. If the reason why they keep dropping support for their games is because they fail at project management, that doesn't make it any better. A company doesn't have to be malicious to be bad.

I can't really think of many companies that aren't out of business who have such shitty business practices.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I think the most egregious thing Hi-Rez have done to me is leave a load of crap behind on my PC after I uninstalled Tribes: Ascend (I found it to be most dull, but releasing that close to Planetside 2 meant it was eclipsed by that particular superior F2P for me anyway so I never bothered to give it a chance), including some sort of DRM-looking process. No thank you. Hi-Rez have not made and will not make any money out of me. Good day to you sir.
    Oh I don't know, they both have had some shitty cash shop decisions, Hi-Rez at least fixed theirs.

Also to note. You can buy Tribes Ascend as full game 8 euros atm over steam sale, so... I don't really see need for them to support it with more stuff. I find it as a good old school style MP shooter, that I could never learn but enjoy it immensely. Now if they added map tool support, which they won't probably, it would be awesome.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    Oh I don't know, they both have had some shitty cash shop decisions, Hi-Rez at least fixed theirs.

Also to note. You can buy Tribes Ascend as full game 8 euros atm over steam sale, so... I don't really see need for them to support it with more stuff. I find it as a good old school style MP shooter, that I could never learn but enjoy it immensely. Now if they added map tool support, which they won't probably, it would be awesome.
    That's the point of them charging for stuff though, to keep updates coming. It's a dead game now. They have no major updates planned ever again. How is that ok? 1 year after release? There are MMOs that are pushing 20 years old that still get updates.

On the other hand, you will never be able to please a grognard fanbase like the Tribes community. In the end, they kinda ended up displeasing both the old guard and the newcomers.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    On the other hand, you will never be able to please a grognard fanbase like the Tribes community. In the end, they kinda ended up displeasing both the old guard and the newcomers.
    That's pretty much irrelevant. Blizzard has never pleased their fanbase either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    That's the point of them charging for stuff though, to keep updates coming. It's a dead game now. They have no major updates planned ever again. How is that ok? 1 year after release? There are MMOs that are pushing 20 years old that still get updates.
    How is this an MMO? This is quite hard MP only FPS such as that, you can't really add that much to it.

I haven't really played much after GW2 release, but worst thing I remember was plasma rifle launch, after that, they were for me actually quite decent at updates. And honestly, it should be quite hard to balance new stuff and create it for a game like this.

That's pretty much irrelevant. Blizzard has never pleased their fanbase either.
    Nor Blizzard themselves have released a decent game in last decade or so. Last good one would be Warcraft 3.

Talking about dead games, I have a sudden urge to play FEAR combat. What fun game it was.
    Last edited by Bankrotas; 15-07-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Fairly sure they charge for stuff to keep the servers running and use updates as a way of increasing sales, rather than charging for the updates themselves. MMO's generally go through updates because they're RPG''s with set story content. Tribes is an arena shooter. Once you've got the shooting down pat, what exactly would you need to update?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Based on my experience, Hi-Rez are cool guys that make cool games, and work very hard to be success at it.

My only gripe against Hi-Rez, is that his games seems to need a driver in memory for the autoupdating. Seriously, if you are developing a software for windows, and you do this, you are a asshole. We don't need another stupid driver in memory pooling retarded things. I am looking at you Apple.

How is this an MMO? This is quite hard MP only FPS such as that, you can't really add that much to it.

I haven't really played much after GW2 release, but worst thing I remember was plasma rifle launch, after that, they were for me actually quite decent at updates. And honestly, it should be quite hard to balance new stuff and create it for a game like this.

Nor Blizzard themselves have released a decent game in last decade or so. Last good one would be Warcraft 3.

Talking about dead games, I have a sudden urge to play FEAR combat. What fun game it was.
    Valve hasn't had a problem updating their FPS, for free, for 7 or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by archonsod View Post
    Fairly sure they charge for stuff to keep the servers running and use updates as a way of increasing sales, rather than charging for the updates themselves. MMO's generally go through updates because they're RPG''s with set story content. Tribes is an arena shooter. Once you've got the shooting down pat, what exactly would you need to update?
    New maps, vehicles, weapons, etc. Especially when there are no mod tools.

Jeez you're so demanding... I might understand your displeasure, when you're loved game stops being updated with more stuff, but that doesn't mean, the game is dead, all it means, it's complete. Even, if you don't really agree with that. It's complete in developers eyes and you'd need a serious cash cow (cough lol cough) to convince them otherwise.

Valve hasn't had a problem updating their FPS, for free, for 7 or so years.
    To be honest, I haven't been interested in Valve's mp titles at all so hell if I care. Considering they have steam as money milking machine and more workers, it's not so hard to imagine, why 65 people have hard time to keep with the updates.

New maps, vehicles, weapons, etc. Especially when there are no mod tools.
    Which takes a lot of time from smaller developers, enough for them unable to move forward.

Jeez you're so demanding... I might understand your displeasure, when you're loved game stops being updated with more stuff, but that doesn't mean, the game is dead, all it means, it's complete. Even, if you don't really agree with that. It's complete in developers eyes and you'd need a serious cash cow (cough lol cough) to convince them otherwise.

To be honest, I haven't been interested in Valve's mp titles at all so hell if I care. Considering they have steam as money milking machine and more workers, it's not so hard to imagine, why 65 people have hard time to keep with the updates.

Which takes a lot of time from smaller developers, enough for them unable to move forward.
    Bro. The game has only been out for one year, moving forward so soon is retarded.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    A good example of a online only FPS receiving lots of support after release is Natural Selection 2. They went with a standard release price and have a discount every few months. Hi-Rez was looking to join the F2P bandwagon and basically just threw together some random items and system as a cash shop and hoped to cash in on the F2P craze. Obviously after multiple changes to the system they did not implement it well enough. They also need to keep producing content they can sell to make it successfully. I would be curious what their average paid player is.

They should stick to a normal buy the game, support it for a 2-3 years and then work on a sequel. Like the good ole days. F2P does not work if you wish to quit before a year is up.