Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    That's... Not even remotely true...
    Don't know about Uncharted, but Gears of War and Halo are at least greatly overrated.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Yes, there are good games made for consoles, and bad games.
    Yes, there are good games made for PC, and bad games.
    Tei, I am totally in love with you but I was being sarcastic.

I.e. I was agreeing with the point quoted above. I have every console (and PC obviously) and love them, which means I'm quite an easy target on here for all the ridiculous console bashing that occurs often, and makes me sad.

Like this. :(

Edit; on those three AAA titles (As someone who's played them all)

Personally, I really really like the Halo games. They are lots of things that people often say console FPS aren't, which is to say, they're quirky, fun, interesting, relatively non-linear (clarify; linear structured levels, but with wide open 'battles' that can be approached in many different ways. Definitely nothing like CoD) but I can totally understand why others don't like them.

Gears, does very little to me, but I was/am immediately put off by all the macho posturing, comedy homo-eroticism (Nothing wrong with a bit of homo eroticism mind, see 300, but this gets it wrong) and general terrible plot and blandness of enemy.

The horde mode on Gears 2 thouggh, (Co-op, kill as many enemies as you can that attack you in waves) was a great laugh, and the only reason I will regard that terrible game with any fondness.

Uncharted is just bloody excellent. Charming silly, cinematic, wondrous indiana jones esque B-movie adventures. If these came to the PC people should, but probably wouldn't because lolconsoledumb go mad for them.
    Last edited by laneford; 22-08-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Yes, you can. They have done already by removing skill trees and stat allocation in favour of stats ONLY on gear and skills that you slot in and out like equipment.
    Which dumbs it down how exactly? Because one gameplay mechanic was replaced with another? "Dumbed down" today seems to be a synonym for "different" in the PC gaming world. As in "This gameplay isn't exactly as the last one! It's dumbed down! Quick, burn a 360!"

Personally, I really really like the Halo games.
    I've played most of them and never really understood the hype behind them except that they demonstrated that an FPS can make it big on a console. In my opinion (however little it's worth) Master Chief is a pointless character, the storyline is boring and pointless, and most of the gameplay had already been done before on the PC. And yet people hold it up like it's the best game ever made with a plot to rival Deus Ex or Paradise Lost.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Master Chief is a pointless character, the storyline is boring and pointless, and most of the gameplay had already been done before on the PC. And yet people hold it up like it's the best game ever made with a plot to rival Deus Ex or Paradise Lost.
    Really? (I'm not disagreeing with you, I've just never seen that said).

I agree with you on all those things, except maybe the 'done before on the PC' which is a bit too nebulous an idea to actually prove, (why make starcraft when we have C&C?, why make Deus Ex: HR when we have Deus Ex, why make Half-Life when you have pong!) The storyline is terrible, and the main character is pointless (a criticism that can be levelled at 99% of all FPS games non?) but none of these have any real impact on the fact it was great fun to play, and felt pretty interesting in it's own right. (I'm specifically thinking of Halo 1, 3, and Reach here)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    "Uncharted is a vile game" is a unpopular idea, and not even on-topic here.

I suppose after a very long debate, we could end agreeing that is a matter of taste.

After playing it, I have to say that I dont like games composed of a serie of tiny arenas with shot from cover gameplay. ANY game with cover and shot gameplay looks ugly, since the map is composed on these objects, so is very gamey and is obvious from the start where the enemy will show. Is almost like playing a turret defense game, with only one turret. Tiny arenas... I don't usually like tiny arenas. Is another gamey element. On most other games at least you can avoid combat, if you are low of ammo of ared tired of shotting. But I think Uncharted is locked to a number of kills. "You must kill 40 soldiers with your starting pistol, until you can proceed forward"... being forward another cutscene, searching a button, or stuff like that.

Also the graphics did nothing to me. It seems everyone like how the jungle look. So wen I did, managed to see the game running, I was absolutelly disapointed. Some of the graphics where 2003 level of quality. With obvious "wood walls" of trees to limit the gameplay area. The most absolutelly lazy design I have see for a game with forest. I can understand games like Ocarina of Time to have the area limited with walls with a texture of trees. Not soo much in a modern game.

"Gears of War". Is harder to me to say why I don't like it. The shotting was not fun. Again arenas. Again "You must kill 90 enemy footsoldiers to proceed forward". The stickyness of combat/ cover based nonsense. But is nothing of this.. is just... it was not fun to play. Also lack of quicksave (I played it on the PC). It would have ben a more fun game with quicksave, to help finishing the most full of bullshit scenes. I think I quit the game after a scripted scene where a big monster break trought a wall and you can't do much to avoid it.

The "Halos", I am not sure I would hate the games. I played one version (PC conversion) and was nothing special, corridor shotter where the corridor part was more obvious than in other FPS's. Still, I have seen videos of multiplayer and things, and I could see amazing graphics and design, probably excellent gameplay on multiplayer.
    What I think is that would be a cool game to have on the PC, if Microsoft where not this interested in killing the PC platform, even paying money so a game is not released on the PC, making it a XBox exclusive.
    Still, is a console game, so you will have to deal with the crap of multiplayer in consoles. P2P networking, lack of push-to-talk voip, underage kids shouting swearing words on mic, the owner of the platform banning you until 99/99/9999 because your name contains a swearing word in english. All the horrible crap of consoles.

Random comic:

I feel like the one dude that don't like TornadoGuard.
    Last edited by Tei; 22-08-2011 at 01:21 PM.

I bet the console versions wouldn't have always online DRM, even though it's easier to hack and pirate Xbox 360 games than it is to mod Morrowind. I know, I have a friend who can hack and pirate 360 games, but has to get me to install his Morrowind mods for him.
    Disclaimer: The above statement or statements are most likely completely incorrect, incoherent and a little insulting to boot. Please disregard immediately and contact the closest person or persons with the ability and will to restore your faith in humanity.

I'm not particularly interested in D3 but if I were I would not be concerned at this news. Blizzard his built around polish and I can promise you that whatever happens the UI and gameplay of D3 will be amazing.

Dismissing console gaming because you're not impressed by Halo or Gears of War makes about as much sense as dismissing PC gaming because you're not impressed by World of Warcraft or The Sims.
    Last edited by Rii; 22-08-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Dismissing console gaming on the basis of not being impressed by Halo or Gears of War makes about as much sense as dismissing PC gaming on the basis of not being impressed by World of Warcraft or The Sims.
    Makes sense. I still want to buy a console. Once I learn how to use a control pad. I have tried in more than one ocassion, but nothing.

If I want to play Trenched and Demon Soul, I must learn how to use a control pad, and pay about 600$, since Trenched is XBox and Demon Soul is PS3, and then buy these two games (+80$). IF the games are available, Is possible that Demon Soul is not on the shop, since the availbility for games is limited and can't have all the games (and I don't like to orde games). I don't even have a TV, so I will need to connect the console to the monitor, and I don't know if will support the native resolution of my monitor (1080p) for all games. Games in lower resolution will look blurry.

680$ to play two games where I have only cursory interest, that will use a control device that can't use... way to much money.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Dismissing console gaming because you're not impressed by Halo or Gears of War makes about as much sense as dismissing PC gaming because you're not impressed by World of Warcraft or The Sims.
    I'd argue that PCs make the best FPSs, RTSs, sims and WRPGs, and consoles make the best JRPGs and fighting games, and that of the two genres the console's best in, and only fighting games can't be replicated wholly on the PC because of the "sitting next to your friend, each with controllers" reason.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I'd argue that PCs make the best FPSs, RTSs, sims and WRPGs, and consoles make the best JRPGs and fighting games, and that of the two genres the console's best in, and only fighting games can't be replicated wholly on the PC because of the "sitting next to your friend, each with controllers" reason.
    There are other genres than those Nalano...

Also, JohnnyMaverick, just your friend can pirate a 360 game but can't install a morrowind mod, doesn't mean it's the same for the rest of us. Me for example. I can install a bunch of mods (with varying degrees of success) and can pirate a PC game if I wanted to, but couldn't on my 360.

And Tei, I can't argue with you about Uncharted, I'm very happy for people not to like certain games that I like, because chances are there are games you like that I don't (It is brilliant though)

My favourite two quotes re console gaming are first; from Jim in his 'Call of Pripchat' article:

"I get annoyed with a lot of the “dumbed down for console” comments we get on here, particularly because in most cases I want to say “no, just dumbed down!”

and second, from the unlikely source of Gabe from PA.

"Me, I go where the games are."

Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    There are other genres than those Nalano...

[...]

and second, from the unlikely source of Gabe from PA.

"Me, I go where the games are."
    I didn't say there weren't.

And I've stopped considering PA to be spokespeople for gamers a while ago. They're still funny, but... no.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I agree, but sometimes from the mouths of fools and babes comes wisdom. In this case I'm with him.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wen you play a console you are this:

Energy for the machine.

So the question is,

You can get the blue pill, or the red pill, but If you eat both, you will end with a headache.
    Last edited by Tei; 22-08-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    And I've stopped considering PA to be spokespeople for gamers a while ago.
    Any specific reasons? I'm curious.

They're still funny
    Meh. The first few years were great. Then they changed the art style somewhere around 2004 and it's been all downhill from there.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Any specific reasons? I'm curious.
    Long story short, because I stopped agreeing with everything they posted.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What's PA?

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    What's PA?
    This is.

10char
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Network Hub
    DON'T buy Demon's Souls. S'great and all, but the servers are shutting down in ~5 weeks (early October) when the semi-sequel Dark Souls is released. Get that, if it gets good reviews.

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

I enjoyed the latest Halo, I enjoyed both the Gears of War games, but I have to say Uncharted completely uninterests me.

When I play the other two I can look past the flaws and just enjoy it. But when playing Uncharted I can't help but notice pretty much every game mechanic in it sums up my hatred for most modern 'AAA' games.