Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberP View Post
    Blade Runner....I haven't seen it in it's entirety. I'm a 90's baby so I can be forgiven, however.
    Really? What have you been doing for the past two decades?

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    In its... entirety?

What, you fell asleep halfway through?

Kids these days have no attention spans.
    Sigh, don't fucking patronise me. I've seen the last 20 minutes or so of it as it happened to be on the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Really? What have you been doing for the past two decades?
    It's that good huh? I will watch it soon. I hope I am not disappointed.
    Last edited by CyberP; 21-07-2013 at 03:19 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Sigh, don't fucking patronise me.
    Hey, you come in here telling us just how great these classic movies are, and yet...
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Nope, wasn't like that, was just stating I demand quality, and put forth Alien as an example of said quality.

Old men these days, haven't seen classic silent films from the 1920's. tut tut ;)

Ha. I apologize for my outburst. Your time to be potentially patronised: played Deus Ex?

Old men these days, haven't seen classic silent films from the 1920's. tut tut ;)
    But we have. :D

Ha. I apologize for my outburst. Your time to be potentially patronised: played Deus Ex?
    But of course. It's also on the shortlist of Games That Nalano Has Purchased More Than Once Due to the Unfortunate Finite Nature of Physical Media.

Or, for short, GTNHPMTODttUFNoPM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

But we have. :D
    Darn, that backfired :D

But of course. It's also on the shortlist of Games That Nalano Has Purchased More Than Once Due to the Unfortunate Finite Nature of Physical Media.
    Hey, me too! But not due to disc degradation, but just because it was always dirt cheap. ~50 pence, a steal for the greatest piece of electronic home entertainment ever produced.
    Now, you're older than me, and may have experienced more electronic home entertainment products (I've been through a lot, though one can never catch 'em all), yet I doubt you can disagree?
    What is your opinion?
    Last edited by CyberP; 21-07-2013 at 03:58 AM.

a steal for the greatest piece of home entertainment ever produced.
    What is it with kids these days and hyperbole?

Can't something be good - great, even - without it being the very summation of all that is joy and rapturous in the world, sent down from the heavens on the back of a bacon-wrapped Pegasus to give free blowjobs to all the boys and girls?

Surely we can do without the human sacrifices at the base of the golden statues of the Great Pantheon of Game Designers, whose major gods include Spector, Molyneux, Meier and Wright, and who are flanked by silk woven tapestries showing Elysian fields wherein Black Isle and Bullfrog are still viable companies, churning out games that would make a grown man weep great heaping tears of unbridled happiness?

I believe that we are mature people who can indeed grunt that, yes, that was a fine game, and do away entirely with the flagellation and the public self-critical struggle sessions that we have failed as of late in our one true faith and service to The Great Computer Gaming Industry.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Like I said, sometimes things can fail on a technical level but still provide entertainment. There's also something to be said for acknowledging the bad so that you may appreciate the good. Without films like Sharknado to show us what not to do, without experiments to try different things (silly as the premise may be) all we'll end up with is a stale catalogue of similar films. It's not a perfect system, but there's no way subjective entertainment could be.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

What is it with kids these days and hyperbole?

Can't something be good - great, even - without it being the very summation of all that is joy and rapturous in the world, sent down from the heavens on the back of a bacon-wrapped Pegasus to give free blowjobs to all the boys and girls?
    I'll take that as a (patronising, again) disagreement then.
    Hyperbole? Not at all. A weighty opinion, Deus Ex has brilliant design and takes full advantage of what no other mediums are capable of, something that very few games do.

Surely we can do without the human sacrifices at the base of the golden statues of the Great Pantheon of Game Designers, whose major gods include Spector, Molyneux, Meier and Wright, and who are flanked by silk woven tapestries showing Elysian fields wherein Black Isle and Bullfrog are still viable companies, churning out games that would make a grown man weep great heaping tears of unbridled happiness?
    Molyneux? Now that's hyperbole.

I believe that we are mature people who can indeed grunt that, yes, that was a fine game, and do away entirely with the flagellation and the public self-critical struggle sessions that we have failed as of late in our one true faith in service to The Great Computer Gaming Industry.
    Good, which sets me up to reveal my agenda: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx

Go play it. Those standards I demand of the entertainment industries? They apply to my own work too, so you know you will not be disappointed.
    The reason I have to take such measures (it was not my original intentions in this thread, I swear, but I saw the opportunity and took it) to promote my work is because my audience has failed me. Not because the mod is of low quality (it's not), but because it is a primarily a gameplay mod, it's as simple as that. PC gamers stereotypically are "graphics whores", and it saddens me that I have been deemed unworthy without justification. Nobody is even downloading it! (95% of those downloads were of an early alpha build).
    Play the mod, it will blow your fucking socks off.
    And if you tell me to fuck off for springing this on you.....well, that's fair enough. But "The greatest PC game of all time" made better, offered to you for free, sounds good no? I just want justification of the last year (almost) of my life that I poured into this mod, making Deus Ex better for the fans. A detailed written review would be nice, for example. Sigh.
    The final version was only released 3 days ago, but there has been 0 interest, whereas all other DX mods had the instant fame that they deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Like I said, sometimes things can fail on a technical level but still provide entertainment. There's also something to be said for acknowledging the bad so that you may appreciate the good. Without films like Sharknado to show us what not to do, without experiments to try different things (silly as the premise may be) all we'll end up with is a stale catalogue of similar films. It's not a perfect system, but there's no way subjective entertainment could be.
    Oh sure, variety is the spice of life. But to be frank, dumb products is all we get in recent times....so less sharknados, more Alien please.
    Last edited by CyberP; 21-07-2013 at 04:46 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Your hubris is showing.

I demand justice and equality for all worthy products.

If the mod featured an apeTsunami maybe it would have 3 million and x views too, yes?
    Last edited by CyberP; 21-07-2013 at 05:03 AM.

Play the mod, it will blow your fucking socks off.
    No, I will not play your mod.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Right. Well enjoy the screening of Sharknado. You won't find me there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Screening? It's a straight-to-cable movie.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

whu?

deus ex was highly enjoyable, but hardly the greatest you make it out to be.

as for the film, why not? trash horror is a genre that people like, why not provide it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    MOTY2013, unless they do something like Sharknado vs Bearcano (bear vulcano).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    whu?

deus ex was highly enjoyable, but hardly the greatest you make it out to be.
    I've been having a theory recently, about nostalgia for old games. My theory (although I'm hesitant to speak for other people) is that it's not any specific quality of those games that people miss; it's liking games without really knowing why. Deus Ex certainly falls into that category for me. I don't think modern games are bad, but I can give detailed accountings of precisely why I like them. They don't surprise me.

In fact, one of the reasons X3: Terran Conflict has grabbed me so much recently is that I have no idea why I like it; just that I do. I have a laundry list of complaints about it, and by all rights I should hate it, but I don't. But there are also games where I can find very little to complain about, and they just don't grab me in the same way.

I mean, this isn't a new idea: I'm talking, of course, about the je ne sais quoi factor. I always used to think that phrase was just a way of weaselling out of doing any deeper analysis, but now I think it's more than that, and something important in its own right.
    Last edited by thegooseking; 21-07-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    I've been having a theory recently, about nostalgia for old games. My theory (although I'm hesitant to speak for other people) is that it's not any specific quality of those games that people miss; it's liking games without really knowing why. Deus Ex certainly falls into that category for me. I don't think modern games are bad, but I can give detailed accountings of precisely why I like them. They don't surprise me.

In fact, one of the reasons X3: Terran Conflict has grabbed me so much recently is that I have no idea why I like it; just that I do. I have a laundry list of complaints about it, and by all rights I should hate it, but I don't. But there are also games where I can find very little to complain about, and they just don't grab me in the same way.
    That's complete nonsense. I am a huge gaming nerd and I know what I like and for what reasons. I study games on the fly as I play.
    With Deus Ex there is a lot to like.

It is not just my opinion that it is "the greatest PC game of all time", hence the quotation marks.
    Doesn't this very gaming press team frequently give it number 1 spots in their greatest lists? Or am I confusing RPS with top quality press :D
    Last edited by CyberP; 21-07-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    That's complete nonsense. I am a huge gaming nerd and I know what I like. I study games on the fly as I play.
    With Deus Ex there is a lot to like.

It is not just my opinion that it is "the greatest PC game of all time", hence the quotation marks.
    Doesn't this very gaming press team frequently give it number 1 spots in their greatest lists? Or am I confusing RPS with top quality press :D
    This very team also frequently rationalises that opinion by describing Deus Ex as "more than the sum of its parts", implying that it has a quality that defies analysis. Also this very team frequently exhorts people to read the words.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    implying that it has a quality that defies analysis.
    I sincerely doubt it. Defies analysis, what, is it witchcraft?
    Pfft, I'd like to think they are better than that.

Also this very team frequently exhorts people to read the words.
    I rarely read anything RPS publish. I was going off of what I've heard.