Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your Average Yearly Spending on Games? (Console Gamers)

I've had a few people recently asking how I've built up over a thousand PC titles through digital services even though I don't even really fit into what you would call the Middle Class bracket.

I've justified it that most of my collection came from Bundles, giveaways and massive sales (like Steam's current Summer event).

Adding up I would say that I've only spent $500 a year for the past five years.

And this is about what the average 360 or PS3 owner would spend if they currently have 20 to 50 games for their system.

I should also note

I don't attend sporting events or concerts
    Don't purchase weed on a weekly basis (or ever really)
    Don't purchase more than one twelve pack of beer a week
    Eat out only twice a month
    Take aways only once a week
    Don't own more than one cellphone
    Don't own a highly expensive cellphone
    Don't own a HD TV, PC strong enough to run Skyrim maxed or any tablets, pods or pads
    Own less than ten music albums
    Own only about three movies (maybe less)
    Don't own a car (I walk, cab or catch ride with fiancee)

Network Hub
    Why are you justifying your spending habits to us?

We might construe the first of these tandem tidbits as fists raised dramatically to the sky, Acacia's forlorn expression a poignant yet subtly-ambiguous indication of fury at the unfortunate plight of 'them console tards'. Alas, that appears to a form-factor-agnostic gamer as: "hur dur ur gamez r more ikspencive haaaaaah".

As to the second: from an anti-consumerist standpoint Acacia's lack of common middle-class accoutrement may be seen as a respectable reaction to modern profit- and growth-driven society's constant pressure to buy, buy, buy. However, given Acacia's self-description as below the middle class in terms of financial capacity, we are left to ponder whether Acacia is secretly resentful of the middle class and/or of an oppressive lack of funds.

Truly a wordsmith, this Acacia at first appearing a common lowbrow nincompoop but on closer inspection perhaps seeming a modern-day Jesus. As the great philosopher Shrek might say: Acacia is like an onion.

I don't spend too much during the year unless it is a game that I have to have. However, I often wait for games now... especially after what went down with SimCity. Also, I stopped buying useless bundles of games that I'll never play; that did add up after a while. Steam Sales are when I usually drop a lot of cash. For example, so far I have spent about $150 this Steam Sale; $47.73 is still in my Steam Wallet.

I type this and then see (Console Gamers)...

/idiot!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I don't even have a job.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I don't even have a job.

You basically you're a pirate arrrr.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Can't tell if the OP is attempting to brag or cop poor.

Personally, in descending order of moneys spent:

1) the Rent is too damn high
    2) Alcoholism
    3) Con Edison
    4) Books
    5) vidja gaemz
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Did you include your pirate factor?

It is easier to spend into Steam Sales, GoG.com sales and bundles when stuff is less than $10. Than say a $20-$40 3DS PSP game or $20-$60 console. But it adds up quickly. I got a year of PSN+ for $40 (normally $50), should have done that long ago. Covers some games I have not bought yet for fraction of the price.

I would spend more on collecting games I want, but I like to go to concerts, eat sushi, support music, be able to comfortably watch a movie at home, camp, travel, buy new toilet seats, grill, eat decent fish, drink non alcoholic drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    drink non alcoholic drinks
    Damn teetotalers with your pristine livers.
    Is not a leg.
    Frobnitz Ichor Liquor purveyors don't need compasses to tell which way the moon sounds.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Gazing through a navel, darkly.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambe View Post
    Damn teetotalers with your pristine livers.
    They're just keeping them safe and warm for when we need transplants.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Gazing through a navel, darkly.
    Was that a reference to egotism or schnapps & OJ?

Either way, I wish we had interchangeable organs so I could be gluttonous and more or less constantly drug-addled. I would spend more money on intestines and livers than anything else, probably.

The New New Hedonism.
    Is not a leg.
    Frobnitz Ichor Liquor purveyors don't need compasses to tell which way the moon sounds.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My liver is far from pristine (thank you Brominated Vegetable Oil) and I drink a good brew time to time. Just less than our esteemed OP and Nalano.

Quote Originally Posted by Jambe View Post
    Was that a reference to egotism or schnapps & OJ?

Either way, I wish we had interchangeable organs so I could be gluttonous and more or less constantly drug-addled. I would spend more money on intestines and livers than anything else, probably.

The New New Hedonism.
    And the surge of Repo Men as the new oil companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    And the surge of Repo Men as the new oil companies.
    Given the trajectories of our technological and moral development I figure such a scenario is inevitable, at least on some bits of the globe. Whether it ends up being Shirowesque "Blindfold Ivan" type shit or full-on Genetic Opera terrorland I can't say, but probably the former.

Anyway, back on topic: I think my sexual insecurities correlate to the volume of my Steam library. Something something several hundred titles, something something micropenis.
    Is not a leg.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Personally I buy Steam Games to get more exp from the Steam library game+ tag. Every little bit counts.

Well I play games because games sold my parents into slavery and maimed my nine siblings.

Also because it's like somebody just sewed a flesh-colored thimble on down there.

In fairness to Acacia, the time & funds we devote to vidyagaemerie is an interesting topic. I have no idea how much money I've spent on games; somewhere between two and ten thousand USD over the course of my existence, probably, just on the games themselves. That's nothing like insignificant money to me, but it's obviously a cumulative thing, like Snickers bars and movie tickets and booze.

I do find it a rather weird topic to discuss, for the aforementioned reason: it's hard to tell if a person is genuinely interested in the economic phenomena at hand as opposed to the political/egotistical angles, which are kind of watery and boring and not really any different from old men giving the youngins shit for their tomfoolery.
    Is not a leg.

Activated Node
    I thought about this myself a little while ago, and due to the fact that I've pretty much bought every game through a web portal in the last few years, I was able to scratch it together pretty quickly. The answer was about $750 last year across all the platforms I own, which was up on about $530 the year before. This year I'm running at about $210 after nearly 7 months.

Just writing it all down was helpful for me to see what was money well spent and what wasn't.

The shocking conclusion was that I should probably avoid buying so much cheap stuff in sales.

Not the most riveting hour I've ever spent but it was helpful. It's easy to keep the file up to date now too. Highly recommended if the fancy takes you.

Depends on the games that come out, I'm quite the picky one.
    In a good year about 250€
    120€ Desura, GoG
    140€ DVD/DDL
    If they are excellent I buy them all.

The main games I like, I play alot (racing sims, MWLL, GTA1234)
    Last edited by bad guy; 28-07-2013 at 09:45 PM.

There are some inconsistencies with me. As I have now dubbed my favorite sports game madden dead. I only buy the games I really want and researched. Although a lot of big name titles usually disappoint the internet is sure to root out the weeds for me. So in a year I'd probably spend less than 100.