Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

My God, HP Is Going to Exit PC Market!!

Is the Third World going to conquer the PC industry?! Farewell, good quality PC.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-200...s-off-pc-unit/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    HP always made better peripherals than PCs. God knows why they entered the PC market to begin with.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Activated Node
    You're being sarcastic, right? The worst PCs I've ever bought were HP.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kody94 View Post
    haha, just kidding. Most of my friends who brought HP notebooks mostly dont have theirs work properly for over 2 years. Dell's machines sound somewhat slightly more durable though.

No, with IBM exiting PC industry, bullet-proof quality PC became history.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    My first PC was a HP. 1.8GHz Sempron 3000, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD... I upgraded it initially to 512MB and a 7300GS, and then I think I ended up on 1GB RAM with a 7600GT.

I remember playing (Somehow) Oblivion on it :(

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    HP wants to spin off the PC business after taking a beating on their ill-conceived, me-too HP Touch device. Meanwhile, the division is profitable to the tune of a half billion dollars. Doesn't sound too unhealthy yet. Wouldn't go spewing doom and gloom about the demise of the PC.

You've clearly never bought a Gateway.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Compaq comes close too

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Gateway was fantastic back in the 486 days. Great customer service.

Does HP still make decent scientific equipment, or did Carly Fiorina destroy that part of the business? I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Gateway was fantastic back in the 486 days. Great customer service.

Does HP still make decent scientific equipment, or did Carly Fiorina destroy that part of the business? I can't remember.
    HP made great calculators and printers, tho since the DoE since switched to Lexmark, I dunno if they still do.

Gateway at its peak had a DoA rate of almost a fifth of all its computers.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    I've had an HP laptop for two years now and barring overheating while gaming (which I solved with an external fan) I've had absolutely no problems.

AFAIK, HP is going to do something similar to IBM when they handed their PC/laptop division over to Lenovo. A guess: HP keeps the HP name for their server/enterprise market and uses the Compaq brand for home PCs and laptops.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    You've clearly never bought a Gateway.
    No, I have not. Their Compaqs, laptops, and one of their desktop models whose name I cannot remember are generally overpriced garbage, though. I do remember my dad owning an hp a while ago that lasted quite a while after he upgraded it, though. Personally I've always been pleased with Dell computers. Inexpensive and easy to upgrade, I had one that survived a lot of rough treatment and performed without a hitch during the 2004-2007 generation. It cost me about $550.

No, I have not. Their Compaqs, laptops, and one of their desktop models whose name I cannot remember are generally overpriced garbage, though. I do remember my dad owning an hp a while ago that lasted quite a while after he upgraded it, though. Personally I've always been pleased with Dell computers. Inexpensive and easy to upgrade, I had one that survived a lot of rough treatment and performed without a hitch during the 2004-2007 generation. It cost me about $550.
    I've run through a succession of Dell laptops which lasted long enough (warranty + a year or so), and I work with 'em for work so I'm more or less okay with their reliability, but in terms of name brands, I think Toshiba's the most reliable in the lasts-forever sense.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

FWIW, my company runs HP laptops, and the EliteBook line has held up tremendously well. I understand that the home line of HP machines may be awful, but their EliteBook and even ProBook lines are solid. I personally work on an EliteBook 8440p (i7 m620 / 8GB DD3-10600) and it's the bee's knees.

Obscure Node
    My school uses the elitebook 8540p and i'm not really sure what to say about it's durability and all-round functionality. mine is still running fine while others in my class have managed to achieve a few hundred BSODs.

they aren't exactly top-of-the-line either. they were fitted with like 2 gb ram and an i5 (not sure which one).

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    We used Compaq servers at the State Dept before they were sold to HP, and I swear I've never seen more poorly designed PoS's. While it may be true that all the "guts" from every retail computer are basically the same (Intel, AMD, IBM, Hitachi, Mitsubishi, Sony, Panasonic etc own them all) but that implementation can go crazy when engineered poorly. Our first aid kid had to be restocked regularly as you could hurt your self just swapping out a HD let alone something more serious like replacing a PSU or upgrading memory. We always joked when servers started becoming easy to maintain 'blade' style that the money saved on stitches more then made up for costs.