Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar

The unthinkable religious tolerance in Machinarium

In this picture, there's a temple. What religion ? All of them. Playing with levers lets you move the dials of the clock. It is soon revealed that all religions share the same temple, just go there at different times. You see Jews, Muslims and worshippers of Infinity going in or out at different times.

Brilliant.

It's easy to miss and most people won't give it a second thought. But have you heard about anything like that actually happening ? The closest thing I know is the All Religions Temple in Kazań, the capitol of Tatarstan. Even so, each religion seems to have a separate part of the temple dedicated to it.

http://resobscura.blogspot.com/2010/...temple-in.html

Sharing the same space looks much more impressive to me. It implies not just tolerance, but the ability to cooperate, compromise and focus on solving problems instead of creating them. The concept is incredibly simple, but good luck finding something like that in our world. It's not just regular sermons, it's also holidays, and we know how incredibly worked up can religious people become over those. Cooperation is much more difficult than competition.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I certainly missed that when I played the game. That's pretty awesome.

I think there is a large adversarial "us and them" mentality inherent in some religions. That's basically the foundation of Satan in Christianity. The Jews compared their enemies to beasts, but when schisms started occurring in Judaism, Jews couldn't bring themselves to compare other Jews to beasts (they might have been enemies, but they were still Jews), so they compared them to the less pleasant angels. A lower-case-s satan was traditionally an angel that was sent by God to frustrate man's endeavours (the angel that the ass saw in Numbers was a satan, for example).

At around the same time, the Persian religion of Zoroastrianism was gaining some influence (the three magi who visited Jesus were probably Zoroastrians, and Jesus' parable of the lost sheep is (with the exception of exchanging sheep for goats) exactly the same as a story about Zarathustra from the beginning of the Zend Avesta). That religion does have a distinctly adversarial mythology, between Ahura Mazda (or Ormuzd, the "good guy") and Ahriman (or Angra Mainyu, the "bad guy"). Put the Zoroastrian influence and the comparison of opposed Jews with the less pleasant angels, and you have a recipe for Auld Nick.

So I guess my point is that the reason it's hard for some religions to get along is that adversarialism is built into the religion at some level.

That's a great find b0rsuk. I've played through Machinarium twice and never actually noticed that. It stimulates thought so thanks for sharing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Nice find, and a nice detail to add to a game!

While not a temple or church - or any place where religious services are held, the idea of sharing a space for (individual) prayer is quite common in places where people are not settled down (and thus have an incentive to have a place 'of their own'). The prime example being airports, which frequently have common prayer rooms:

"He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Offtopic,but at the same time kinda on topic lol..Did they made anything else beside Machinarium ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Offtopic,but at the same time kinda on topic lol..Did they made anything else beside Machinarium ?
    They being Amanita? Yes: Samorost, Samorost 2 and Botanicula. There are others but the latter two are the most well-known.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Quite a few small things, but the only other "full-sized" project they've completed to date is Botanicula.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Wow Samorost looks amazing,same with Botanicula,really neat styles.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quite a few areas have found that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam can share spaces pretty easily. For one thing, their holy days are Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

McDonald's is the multi-religion church of our century

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    I didn't notice that either, thanks! Makes me wonder what else I missed.... maybe time to give it another go.

Although I'd just like to point out that we're not shown what's happening inside......

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Nice find, and a nice detail to add to a game!

While not a temple or church - or any place where religious services are held, the idea of sharing a space for (individual) prayer is quite common in places where people are not settled down (and thus have an incentive to have a place 'of their own'). The prime example being airports, which frequently have common prayer rooms:
    Hmm, I've never seen one of these, but then I haven't been looking. I wonder if they exist in part to keep those who wish to pray out of sight of the semi- and non-religious, to help avoid making them anxious about their flights.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Then maybe it's just Poland, the country I live in, where other faiths are looked down upon. When you sign in children to a kindergarten, chances are they will be attending Catholic religion lessons by default. You have to opt-out, fight people, and make your kid feel alienated. Although nominally schools are expected to give a choice between Religion and Ethics lessons, the latter is almost unheard of.

As for religion and tolerance, I think we should blame monotheism. I'm not familiar with other religions very much, but Catholicism teaches that there's only 1 God. I read a book by Simon James which claimed that antique Christians were persecuted because they didn't allow other religions to exist. At the time, the Rome had many religions living alongside each other. You had to make an offer to Jupiter twice a year, but otherwise were free to believe whatever. The emperors just made sure that no religion had control over state. According to the book, after becoming the dominant force Christians became persecutors themselves.

We'll never know how it really was, because history is written by the victorious. That's why I don't rule out the possibility that they were right to persecute Christians. They never tell you why they were persecuted. My pet peeve is that the taught history of Poland starts with 966, which is the year a powerful prince accepted Christianity to defend himself from raids which used Christian religion as an excuse. It's as if NOTHING was there until Poland was baptized.

Interesting information about airports. I never had a chance to fly, so it makes sense I haven't seen that.

I just thought the temple thing in Machinarium is an amazing little detail. Amazing, because it's potentially very thought-provoking and it's just a short animation. Missing things are the hardest to spot.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    While not a temple or church - or any place where religious services are held, the idea of sharing a space for (individual) prayer is quite common in places where people are not settled down (and thus have an incentive to have a place 'of their own'). The prime example being airports, which frequently have common prayer rooms
    Hospitals in England, whilst many had churches or chapels (and in the case of the latter, still do) will have multi-faith prayer rooms. That said, I don't imagine a scenario where an English hospital is featured that also doesn't include a population full of murderous zombies. And in a game, too.