Network Hub

Great Game Deserves Its Own Thread - Sven Co-op - Standalone - Free - Steam

From ModDB.

Quote Originally Posted by JPolito
    Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, friends, comrades, alpaca ranchers, mole people, time travelers, and other creatures with opposable thumbs:

After nearly fifteen years in development as a mod for Half-Life, and with our final mod release out of the way, the Sven Co-op Development Team is incredibly proud to announce that we are now focusing all of our effort on our next big project. We've been granted access by Valve to work on our own custom version of the Half-Life engine!

The majority of readers are probably asking themselves, “As an alpaca rancher, why is this showing up in my search results?”, a question for which there is no easy answer.

The rest of you are probably asking, “What exactly does this announcement mean?”

• The next version of Sven Co-op will run as a standalone game using a custom build of the Half-Life engine.
    • The game will be FREE for all Steam users, including the official Half-Life campaign. A Half-Life purchase will not be required.
    • Automatic updates will be available using Steam's content delivery system dubbed SteamPipe. This will allow us to perform more frequent and rapid updates as needed.
    • Updates and new features will be added to the Half-Life engine, as well as a series of improvements to Half-Life's level editor called Hammer.
    • Increased Half-Life engine limits to allow for much larger and more detailed worlds.
    • Stability, performance, and gameplay improvements for everyone.

We are grateful beyond expression to Valve for their generosity and efforts put forth to make this possible. We’re looking forward to working with one of the greatest game engines ever made, and we can assure everyone that there are many, many more updates to come.
    Last edited by baby snot; 17-07-2013 at 04:57 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Maybe you should tell us what this game is about and why it's so great. You can play Half-Life with a lot of people I guess?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    You can play Half-Life with a lot of people I guess?
    I'm easy to please. Also, puddles, worms, clouds and poo.

Sven Co-op is probably the most enjoyable co-op experience you can have on the computer. I'm Surprised they're sticking with the half-life engine though, figured they would've moved onto a something better by now..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    To be honest Half Life games are not suited for coop,i can clear all levels by myself on hard,now imagine having 2-3 more people ..It becomes way to easy.

This is about clearing the silliest maps ever with a lot of people running around with akimbo Uzis. This is seriously tons of fun and everyone should have played this at least once (the earlier maps tended to pit bullet-sponge enemies and are not that interesting with a smaller number of players, so you might want to avoid those).

I played a lot of Half-Life mods back in the day, but I never did get around to Sven co-op. It's incredible that they're still updating it to this very day.

I really should give it a shot sometime.