Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar

Custom PvP Arena for [RPS]?

What do people think about setting up a custom PvP arena for [RPS]? Would there be any interest in this?

I've been looking into the cost of doing this, and it's less than I thought. The ongoing cost works out as follows:

210 gems per week (if buying time tickets in packs of 5) -- equivalent to 7 gold per week at current gem prices
    168 gems per week (if buying time tickets in packs of 20) -- equivalent to 5.5 gold per week at current gem prices.

There is an initial cost of 1600 gems (~55 gold) for the custom arena starter kit, but I'd be willing to front this myself if we wanted an arena. (I have some gold lying around and figure I may as well use it for the good of the guild.) You also get 30 days time with a new custom arena, so it would be a while before we had to pay any rent (as it were).

We don't really need gold for influence any more, so we could ask members to contribute to this instead. But maybe it's not fair to ask everyone to contribute to a PvP room when plenty of people don't PvP? As for logistics, we could buy time tickets in packs of 20 (for the discount) by getting everyone to contribute to the guild bank and then pooling the money.

Maybe the idea is redundant given that gunnars-hold.eu has a custom arena now -- but it would perhaps be nice to have a room that we're in charge of, can set rules in, and don't have to worry about CHvc etc chucking us out of. We could use it for practice, duelling, for our pvp nights...maybe the idea has legs.

Thoughts?
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I am conflicted, I'm quite intruiged by the idea but also quite stingy with my in game money >.<

The main question would be how many people would use it on a regular basis?

First of all, that's a very generous and incredibly kind offer from you. Secondly, I am all for pimping the [RPS] mansion with additional toys, such a private arena would allow both players new to PvP and the more experienced bunch to get into sPvP and open up new training possibilities. It's a really lovely idea.

But! I don't like the way Arenanet has implemented Custom Arenas, especially the pricing model rubs me the wrong way. The customisation options are pretty limited and asking money for a feature that should have been in the game from the start (like arenas with different pre-sets) is quite shady in my view. Also, the arena time ticks down whether someone is using it or not. Therefore I am not very keen on throwing money/gold/effective playing time at the system in its current form. But that's just me.
    Last edited by Squiz; 18-07-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    The main question would be how many people would use it on a regular basis?
    Yep, this is the main question. We'd have to be sure that it would be in fairly regular use for it to be worthwhile.

I would love to and am in dire need of getting better at killing people (and in the game), but right now I am already struggling to find the time to do all the things I want to do. ;___;

TBH, as awesome as the idea sounds, I don't think we have enough activity to warrant such an investment. Quite a few times when I passed through the mists on my way to LA I checked the GH arena and it was empty.

What I'd propose is that we book the arena on the GH forum whenever we want privacy (such as a planned pvp event) and contribute to Visko's effort by buying some time tokens for the arena from guild contributions.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

That sounds like a good proposal. So we should shelve the custom arena idea until such time as (a) we have far more pvp activity or (b) the functionality of custom arenas becomes too good to pass up.