Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for the advice

I think that I should add that spamming a forum is a bad idea and a sure way to garner bad will.

Hi! I'm new around here and I am planning to promote our game soon. What do you guys suggest is the best process around here? Thanks!

Read what's written here.
    Post in the right forum (this one).
    Don't spam the forum.

Ok, thanks! Sounds simple enough

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Read what's written here.
    Post in the right forum (this one).
    Don't spam the forum.

Obscure Node
    I had a feeling I was making some mistakes when I was getting banned from forums for the reason "Spammer."

Thank you for giving a lead in your own opinion; I feel I now know what to research further.

Good post, I like it. I agree that pretending to 'discover' a game and going on about it can easily be seen through and often gives a bad impression.

Thanks for the post!

Obscure Node
    This was enlightening.

Thank you.

Duly noted :) I have to say that when you are trying to spread the word about a game the copy/paste is my worst fault. I try and vary things (my spiel) to fit what I think will appeal to each forum but ultimately I want to spread the same information. Any advice?

If you really must, try to minimize it.
    You can have several paragraphs detailing different things and you can choose to include or exclude some of them. Edit a few things to make it fit. If it reads as a lot of disconnected paragraphs it will be even worse.
    But even if you're going to copy paste (as a lot of info will be the same) try to write an opening paragraph with the community you're addressing in mind. Remember that you have to appeal to what those people will find interesting, and that's mostly going to be different from forum to forum.

I do try and do a bit of that but when I want to also be succinct it's tough because half the time I decide I've gotten too wordy and cut it all out.

I like the idea of an opening paragraph but I have seen that become formulaic as well, because ultimately it's almost always "I found this forum, you talk about games, here's my game" Lol I probably needed to pay more attention in my creative writing classes. I shall have to dig deep!

Thanks for the advice, truly I am trying :)

-Maggie (Greymalke)

Quote Originally Posted by greymalke View Post
    I like the idea of an opening paragraph but I have seen that become formulaic as well, because ultimately it's almost always "I found this forum, you talk about games, here's my game" Lol I probably needed to pay more attention in my creative writing classes. I shall have to dig deep!
    Well, my stance on this is about quality over quantity. It's better to market your game/whatever to the people that might be most interested in it, so the opening paragraph should account for a better understanding of the community you're addressing. Gaming forumites all like games, but the RPG Codex is not the same as the IGN Boards. What they like about games is different, and those are the things that should be addressed in the opening paragraph. An introduction that points out the aspects of your game that you know might be of interest to them. Of course that means dedicating time to understand the different boards, but, in my opinion, that's better than posting the same crap everywhere without care.