Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

First Steam Game

A bit of a dumb thread, I'll admit, but it should hopefully be an interesting method of gauging the general age of everyone's Steam accounts, and perhaps it might offer insight into nifty experiences with Steam (other than it being Valve's TF2 and HL2 delivery system)...

WHAT WAS THE FIRST GAME YOU EVER BOUGHT ON STEAM?
    (You can find this information out by going to the top right corner of your Steam window, clicking on your account name, and choosing "Account Details." The very first purchase will be on the bottom.)

It actually took me several years to buy something on Steam, and that was because the only decent computer I had in my life was at work. Oh, and when I finally did have a decent PC, I avoided Steam like the plague (mostly because I forgot my account name and password).

When I finally set up a new account, the first game I purchased was a pre-order of
    DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION
    So that's not too bad, eh?

All went downhill from there, and now I have 280 something games and more money spent on them than I would ever be proud to admit.

Otherwise, Steam account general discussion, anyone? Feel free to show off your great deals, decked-out profiles, and other steam nonsense.

Buy, as in paying money for it. It was the Orange Box, first time it was discounted to ten dollars.
    First game I had was Half-Life 2 Deathmatch that I got during an ATI promotion.

Counter-Strike Source I'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Buy, as in paying money for it. It was the Orange Box, first time it was discounted to ten dollars.
    This, except I bought it full price the first week it was on sale. I was Really Hyped.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, Half-Life 2 got registered on my steam account, although I didnt buy it through it though. I have used Steam ever since it first started out, although my Day of Defeat clan hung onto the WON system until the very end. So I must have started using Steam somewhere in 2004.

The first game I bought through steam? X3: Reunion!
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    I don't think you could buy games when steam first started, it was just a client to register HL2, if I recall. Anyway, that was the first game for me. Although the first one I paid money for.... looks like bookworm adventures deluxe. Hmmm. That doesn't sound right, but that's what steam tells me, from about 6.5 years ago :-).
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by groovychainsaw View Post
    I don't think you could buy games when steam first started, it was just a client to register HL2, if I recall.
    You are correct(sort of), although just ever so slightly earlier it started out as the replacement multiplayer lobby system for the GoldSource Engine, replacing the WON network system(which either got shutdown or Valve stopped paying for it, I forgot). I vividly remember the final patches for the WON system, after which only the most recent versions appeared on Steam for games Like Team Fortress Classis, Day of Defeat etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_...are%29#History

Actually, reading the history I must have started using it somewhere in 2003..

EDIT: Found this on a Steam badge:

Years of Service

450 XP
    Unlocked: 21 Feb 2013 @ 11:49am

Member since 21 February 2004.
    Last edited by pepper; 23-07-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Torchlight
    Beat Hazard
    Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines

My first three purchases!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    I got my first Steam account with HL2. Can't tell which was the first one I bougt from the store. Until know I had about five or six accounts, currently I still have two. I tend to sell my old accounts because I wont touch most of the games after I finished them.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Half-Life 2 Silver (which got you HL2 and the Half-Life Platinum Pack). It was my very first digital download.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    Half-Life 2 Silver (which got you HL2 and the Half-Life Platinum Pack). It was my very first digital download.
    Same here, and I imagine it will be for a great number of people.

My first game purchased on Steam is the Max Payne bundle, though Steam lists a large number of games as complimentary and two as gifts before I bought anything.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

My first Steam game was HL2 when it was first released (probably on release day). I then got to savour the joys of Steam's birthing pains.

It took me near a week to get the game that I had spent real money on to actually work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Yeah, I installed Steam for HL2 (even though I bought a physical copy), and the first purchase was the Orange Box. Then Audiosurf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Half Life 2 Retail Standard. Day it was released. It's a shame it doesn't date everything, because my next purchase was Nexus - The Jupiter Incident, I'd love to know when I got that.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

The Orange Box was my first Steam Store purchase. However, the first thing on my 'Account Details' list is Half Life 2 GOTY, so I'm not sure which it was - I think I must have purchased both of them around the same time.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Left 4 Dead brought me to Steam, but first purchase was Samarost 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    This, except I bought it full price the first week it was on sale. I was Really Hyped.
    I bought it at the beginning of the second week. But I only really wanted Portal, and this was before Valve started selling it separately. Great as it is, I think I overpaid.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of naïveté. It's naïveté turned inside-out. Naïveté wearing a sneer." -Momus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Like everyone else, The Orange Box got me Steam.

First game I bought from the Steam store was Audiosurf

Re: price of Orange Box. It was the first time, for a long time, I'd ever bought a game on release day. Given the hundreds of hours I've spent on TF2, not to mention HL2 and Portal, I'm fine with how much it cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Bought TF2 (before it was free to play, obviously) and L4D, and still play both (though not so much L4D.)
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Finding Good Homes For Unwanted Games Since January, 2014

Activated Node
    The Half-Life 2 collector's edition was what caused me to register for steam. The first game I bought through Steam online was the Deus Ex GOTY, back when they would still charge UK people in $US.