Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The game that made me install Steam was Call of Duty MW2. The first purchase some time later was VVVVVV. VVVVVV actually brought me back into single player gaming. Great fucking game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Is there a way to check it? Cause I really have no idea.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    Is there a way to check it? Cause I really have no idea.
    See the first post.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

The first thing I ever bought was The Orange Box, 4 days after release, for $60. Prior to that I already owned Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 on disc, and I chose to get the Box from Steam because A) they would still charge me dollars instead of euros, making it substantially cheaper and B) it released globally, simultaneously.

Also, according to Steam, yesterday marks the point where I've had an account there for 7 years, my registration date being 25 July 2006. That was probably the point where I register Episode 1, since the Box gave me an extra copy of that, but not Half-Life 2.

That extra copy of HL2: Episode 1 remains in my inventory today.

Network Hub
    I guess the first transactions were treated differently because I have 'complimentary' editions of stuff I paid for. I had to go dig out old emails of purchases to find the dates of things pre-Audiosurf.

First registered games are HL2 Silver and HL Platinum, first purchases were:
    Rag Doll Kung Fu
    Sin Episode 1
    HL2 Ep1
    Defcon

In hindsight, Rag Doll Kung Fu was not very good. Apparently I even pre-ordered it - I guess the power of digital purchases was just too novel, because it wasn't cheap. Sin Episodes 1 (and only) was also pretty ho-hum, purchased because I remember liking the original Sin and similarly disappointing.

At least things got better with Ep1 and Defcon. Peggle is also sitting in the early list, which sucked up far too much time.

Empire Total War was the first retail activation of a Steam key.
    L4D was the first multi-licence purchases (4 pack).
    The Super ID Software Pack the first developer pack.
    World of Goo was the first transaction instead of $.
    Transactions first started picking up pace in the summer of 2009 and, sadly, haven't slowed much since.
    Christmas 09 is the first time my account was locked for suspicious purchases due to problems with the credit card company and purchase sprees.
    Last edited by Goateh; 27-07-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Beta user! Since when WON closed and hl1 was forced on it.
    CWalker00> SKYDANCER YOU UTTER BOLLOCKS

Obscure Node
    "Half-Life 2 Retail Collectors"... I remember it came in a tin with a t-shirt I never wore =)

Next thing on the list is "Half-Life 2: Episode One". First purchases in the Steam store were "Dark Messiah of Might and Magic" followed by "The Longest Journey + Dreamfall". Games I remember fondly...

Obscure Node
    I've been a member of the steam community since 2004, which was when I registered the copy of Counter-Strike that came with my computer, for the service.

I'm rather new to Steam, my first game registered was Proteus (from HiB8).

First game I bought in the store was S.P.A.Z when it had the free weekend.

My first Steam game was a nostalgia purchase - 'Commandos 2: Men of Courage'. I loved the game when it came out.
    Got it on Steam on a Friday, 29 Feb 2008. :>

Orange Box got me Steam, then I've linked my retail version of Left 4 Dead. First purchase is Plants vs Zombies!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    The first game I got was Portal (it was free when Steam for Mac launched on the 12th of May, 2010... Draw your own conclusions from that), the first I bought was The Dig for 2.99 on the same day.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Half-Life 2 was what got me to get a Steam account - the first six games on my account are all Valve or Valve related.

It was either the Half-Life (2?) I got with a graphics card ages in the day, or the Orange Box. Feels like so long ago..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    According to the Account Details, it seems to have been:

11 Feb 2008 / $10.65 / Audiosurf

On a related note: prices were high! I'm seeing way too much €30+ purchases in those early years, though they were the only games I purchased. Surprisingly it wasn't all that long ago that I had less than 10 Steam games. This is a disturbing notion. I think the summer of 2010 is when the number of Steam games I got really started to ramp up.
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 29-07-2013 at 02:33 PM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Half Life 2 and The Orange Box. Which was critiqued in the day because "you needed the steam DlC".

First game bought on steam itself, World of Goo. It's the first indie game I bought, still one of the best games I ever played and the start of my way too big steam catalogue.

Edit:

World of Goo - 03 Oct 2008 - $24.19

Hah, still in dollars (now they screw us with their Euro - Dollar conversions).
    Last edited by Carra; 29-07-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Like everyone else, The Orange Box got me Steam.Re: price of Orange Box. It was the first time, for a long time, I'd ever bought a game on release day. Given the hundreds of hours I've spent on TF2, not to mention HL2 and Portal, I'm fine with how much it cost.
    The Orange Box is probably the best bang for box that was ever released. Portal? Brilliant puzzle game. Hl2 Ep2 was of course amazing and TF2 kept me busy for hundreds of hours.

Network Hub
    Half-Life Platinum Pack

Thats from when they patched HL/CS/TFC etc and brought them over. Purchases, not so sure since I have some that are down as Complimentary that certainly weren't and it doesn't list them in order down the bottom.

I had just bought a decent computer and I had a PS3 copy of Portal 2, which included a steam code for it, so that's what got me into Steam in the first place. The first game I actually bought was Rock of Ages, which coincidentally is one of my favorite games now.

The first game i actually had on Steam was Counter-Strike Condition Zero. Together with 1.6, some of my most played games to date... :-)