Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar

Payday 2 Beta and Beyond

Anyone else here purchased the rather cool heist simulator RPG-shooty-bang-gimme-all-da-munny game thing that is Payday 2? And has access to the beta? And wants to knock over a few jewellery stores and maybe a local bank or two?

You do? Sweet. Names below ;)

Obscure Node
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/blaaaaaaag

Add me and we'll take some scores!

I was planning on buying this, but all the missions I've seen so far seem to be pretty short (<10 minutes) which put me on the fence. How is the beta?

I'm having fun with the shooty-bang stuff; I think the issue with the shorter missions is the early-game stuff when you're starting out is not particularly long, but there's a certain amount of variation in the position of items of value (for example, an early convenience store raid where safes and tills are in different locations every time) to keep the variety up. I'm assuming from what's been described that as you get into higher level content you start to have longer missions, stiffer opposition etc.

Activated Node
    i have it, and i enjoy it! feel free to add me: vopperough

Anyone happen to have their extra beta key still going spare? Not like 25 will be bank-breaking, but I'd at least like to check it out firsthand before pre-ordering.

Network Hub
    it is worth bearing in mind that, once the police have been alerted, the action can get pretty intense and 10mn feels like an age.

Longer missions are spread over several days of action (with potential additional side missions between them depending on... stuff) and several missions give you at least a chance of doing things (fairly) quietly without alerting the police.

The individual levels themselves have a fair bit of variable content to keep you on your toes. This goes from guard patrols, civilians wandering around, key npc locations, safe and loot locations, security cam locations... that kind of stuff.

Sometimes you get lucky: the bank manager is taking a cigarette break in the car park and the security room is just inside the door he leaves open.
    Others, not so much: random passer-by notices you carrying the huge vault-cracking thermal lance round the back and calls the cops in before you are even inside...

All in all, quite a varied experience.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    How does it compare to the first game? I really liked the idea of Payday, but I felt the execution was... Actually, it was pretty damn great, but I never found friends to play with, so I stopped playing after, well, not very long at all.

Network Hub
    not having friends can be an issue, though they have made an effort with a server browser showing all public games with open slots.

Things are far better with people you can talk to and get to know.

I would recommend either creating a Rock, Payday, Shotgun Steam group or re-purposing the dormant Rock, Paper, Shooting Steam group for this.

In addition the RPS community mumble server is great for setting up voice chat that doesn't actually require the game to be running to talk to people.

As for how it compares with Payday: I'd say this is the game they wanted to make all along. You can now complete heists without firing a shot (if you're good) and the objectives I have seen so far have been quite varied.

This definitely feels like the Payday that they wanted to make originally. I'll look at creating a Steam group for RPS peeps.

Aaaand we now have a Steam group; please excuse the crude logo, I threw it together in about 2 seconds.

Ask for invites here and I'll add you just as soon as I'm able - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSPayday2

Network Hub
    I would recommend you leave the group public, RPS has always been about inclusiveness and our other groups don't seem to suffer from being public.

Quote Originally Posted by Yargh View Post
    I would recommend you leave the group public, RPS has always been about inclusiveness and our other groups don't seem to suffer from being public.
    Fair point.

Network Hub
    Come one come all, join http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSPayday2
    If you use the group chat to organise games there's no need to add everyone as a friend, don't forget that you can use Steam's 'Join Game' and 'Invite to Game' functions instead of the the in-game browser.

Also, nice logo for something just thrown together.

Quote Originally Posted by Yargh View Post
    Also, nice logo for something just thrown together.
    Don't tell anyone, but I nicked the image off the web and stamped RPS across the bottom. I'll do a decent logo over the weekend or something.

Obscure Node

That's Dean "Rocket" Hall and some folks pulling off the Bank: Deposit mission with no alarms, kinda neat.

Activated Node
    I'm pretty much interested in this, but could you tell me if it's playable solo? Also I would like to expect some sort of Hitman of old, just with bank robbing instead of killing people. Buuuut... I am afraid it will be too shooty. Is it too shooty?

It is very shooty. Trying to do things quietly (certainly at lower levels) results in much shooting. I certainly don't have access to anything like a silencer at the moment.

I'd say it was a misapprehension to see this as a Hitman-style game, it's much closer to Left 4 Dead meats Michael Mann's Heat with some RPG elements thrown into the mix as well.

Solo offline play is entirely possible, but with AI teammates.

Network Hub
    I don't recommend solo play, join the Rock, Payday, Shotgun steam group instead and make friends there.
    As things stand, getting a silencer is a bit of a lottery, however completing some of the lower difficulty heists without firing a shot is perfectly doable with no additional equipment (particularly the Jewelry store, either in a smash & grab or by intimidating everyone before they can call the cops) and only requires good coordination.

Make a mistake however and it gets very shooty indeed. In some missions this is unavoidable.

Activated Node
    Lft 4 Dead then. It's ok, I like L4D, just not as much as Hitman.
    Thanks guys, I'll wait for the release and then decide whether to jump on board.

EDIT: Just found out there are two beta keys per preorder, so if anyone would have a spare I would gladly welcome one.
    Last edited by ramirezfm; 30-07-2013 at 12:11 PM.