Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    I'm afraid my spare key has already gone to a good home.

Just had time to watch that Stealthy Bank Heist video: Dean Hall is clearly a psychopath (as is squirrel), mowing down all those civilians will have cost them a great deal of spending money from the payout. But I have to admit that it was very effective at preventing anyone from raising the alarm...

I went ahead and bought it, so PM me your steam details if you want the spare beta key. Hopefully should get it downloaded by tonight, in time for some fun.

And if you haven't seen this one, a robbery as carried out by the most incompetent crooks ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS1X0l3FWcw

Obscure Node
    He is pretty nuts, eh? The thing is, the cleaner costs are applied right away, before the end of mission payout, so if you don't have any money when you start a mission, you're pretty much free to kill everyone without any penalty, which I gather is how Rocket rolls. Then he gets paid, and spends it all, and murders another level-load of civilians.

It should be pointed out, if it hasn't, that the AI is useless and solo play is near impossible on all but the first couple levels because of that. AI teammates won't carry loot or restart drills or guard hostages, they just follow you closely and shoot.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaaaaaaag View Post
    It should be pointed out, if it hasn't, that the AI is useless and solo play is near impossible on all but the first couple levels because of that. AI teammates won't carry loot or restart drills or guard hostages, they just follow you closely and shoot.
    Have to agree with this. AI could definitely use some polish, but the meat of the game is the co-op play. Going to try and get on in the next few evenings.

Activated Node
    I did play for a while (thanks Walrus!) and yes, AI is there just to shoot things. And there is a lot of shooting. A LOT. I played only the first mission, tried to do it silently... to no avail. Everything takes forever, 3m drilling plus 2 drill restarts, and that's only for 1 safe. I guess I am doing something wrong... Anyhow, even before I am able to scout the shops the alarm is raised and the police gets in. And it goes L4D horde mode. With drills.
    It seems fun tho and has some potential. I will have to try playing with real people, in due time.

No, you weren't doing anything wrong (other than playing with the AI). Stealth is a bit tricky, but it's probably just flat out impossible without other people... and once that fails you have to do absolutely everything, because the AI is useless.
    But proper co-op is actually quite good, a lot of my fears about length have been alleviated - the missions are definitely shorter than the original, but not too short and the tension makes it feel longer.

I'll be on about 6-7 UK time tonight if people want to get together.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    The missions are much, much harder to do stealth at low level (and multiply that by a factor of 4 if you're trying to do them with the AI teammates) because of many issues; not enough stuff to control crowds, not enough people to control the crowds, too many ways to set off the alarm.

Dean murdering all the civilians was kind of fun, although I do like the way he worked out to game the cash system.

Obscure Node
    Ramirezfm, that sounds like the mission "Four Stores", which as far as I can tell, out of the beta missions anyway, is the most difficult to pull off without any alarms. There are just so many civi's wandering the streets, going in and out of shops, and many cameras in semi-randomized locations. I think it'd require a great deal of patience, coordination, and a practiced crew to take that one down stealthily, if it can be done at all.

As for murdering civi's, well, I've sort of taken a small page out of Rocket and Squirrel's book on that one. I admire the ruthless efficiency of gunning down the tellers before they can hit their panic buttons, and the way that Squirrel doesn't wait for the civi that's running away from him to stop, he just shoots him with his silenced Mac10. These are shrewd moves, and to be a real stealthy and efficient heister one must act similarly.

Activated Node
    Yeah, it was Four Stores. Great idea would be hitting it simultaneously, should be the most efficient, but not possible with AI. The patch broke my game for a while, so I was able to play after they patched the patch for those without the preorder, but I tried the jewellery store and this was easier. Not stealthy, but at least I was able to finish it without needing to kill gazillions of police forces. Might be even better if I could equip the silencer, but either I don't know how to buy it or something is not right.

Activated Node
    you will need to get lucky and get the attachments during paydays, and then you can mount it on your weapon.

also, i think jewelry store is the easiest to do silently, done it loads on overkill difficulty. you only get 70k ish, but its quite quick :)

Network Hub
    If you're after a bunch of quick unlock cards Jewelry Store can be done as a smash and grab with 3 players on the easiest difficulty level in around 30s. Walk in, position self next to tray of watches, put on mask, smash glass, grab tray, run, done! You just need to sometimes wait for the guard to move a little away from everyone so no one gets cuffed while masking up.

Silenced pistol is now starting gear after yesterday's patch, apparently, so no more having to run up and bash people in the face if you want stealthy. Also, after a while playing I think I've twigged that Normal is not the way to go, slap it on Hard or higher and the rewards skyrocket.

Although watching people blow up the meth lab/bus on Rats again and again is just depressing.

Activated Node
    How do I equip the silencer then? I can view the pistol with the silencer, but I don't seem to be able to attach the silencer.
    Also, a noob question. If I want to do anything other than walking around I have to put the mask on? I cannot incapacitate people without the mask on?

Obscure Node
    I believe there should be a button labelled 'craft mod' or something to that effect just above the preview button that should allow you to make the silencer and attach it. If it isn't there, then I think that'd mean you don't have enough money to buy the part, or that something is bugged, which wouldn't be unlikely at this point.

And correct, you can't so much as pick up a keycard or answer a pager without your mask on. You're not some kind of superhuman cyborg. Sheesh.

Because walking around in full body armour is A-ok, but pointing at a guard is shady, duh.

Would love to try it, partially just for my love of Simon Viklund's music from the games he worked on with GRIN before they went down. If there are any keys floating around I'd be regularly available, a few hours a night perhaps.

I can't justify buying it, admittedly - the first game was a little cruder and more simplistic in execution than I hoped, and this thread makes me fear the same for the sequel. All the more reason to want to try it in advance of release.
    Last edited by Jakkar; 02-08-2013 at 07:16 AM.

Activated Node
    Imho this one is crude and simplistic and AI (both friendlies and notsofriendlies) is soso at best. Still after countless replays of jewellery scenario I found it rather fun. With actual humans it should be even better, stealth seems possible somehow ( I finally managed to attach the damn silencer) and I might give the full version a shot.

I played a little bit more and the only thing I have to add is... AI is way better than most of the people playing out there. Online I tried jewelery store. Failed 4 out of 5 times. People running around, or not grabbing bags, or just scattering and letting other players die. This reminded me why I don't play with people I don't know... The one time I was able to get a solid group everything went smoothly and was really fun though.
    Last edited by ramirezfm; 02-08-2013 at 10:32 PM.

The AI does seems to be tuned up a bit from the original, with many more flanking manoeuvres from the police than before. Plus I love the assault change, where each successive assault in a heist brings heavier and heavier units, like from normal SWAT to adding in Heavy SWAT & Shields (and sometimes Tasers), then the heavy FBI units get involved, and so on. Meaning the longer you stick around, the harder things get. Plus the difficulty rather than fudging damage numbers jumps forward extra assault waves, so on Overkill you are staring down FBI, Shields, Tasers and often multiple Bulldozers right from the get-go.
    I enjoyed the random craziness of the first a fair bit, more than I probably should, but I've been enjoying the sequel's beta much more, if only because of the increased variety and much greater focus on being fast.

I went and joined the group, so I'll be up for stealing some stuff if people feel like it.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Network Hub
    The more the merrier. Note that the current release date is 27/08/2013, so beta gaming for a bit longer (don't get too attached to your stuff)