Activated Node

RPS - No Longer Works on Mobile Phone

I can no longer check RPS on my phone, either the main site or the forums. It used to be fine and now it's not.

When I check through 3G or LTE, it just times out and I don't even get an error message.

When I check on wifi, it's fine. I have had no problems with any other sites whatsoever.

What the heck is going on?

I've tried restarting the phone and I've cleared the cache/history stuff.

Is there anything else I can do?

I have an iPhone 5 and I'm using the same bookmark I always did (which works fine on wifi).

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Opera mini for the win.
    -posted from my Motorola Defy+
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Opera mini for the win.
    -posted from my Motorola Defy+
    Cheers for the suggestion - still no good though. I've tried Chrome and the twitter app too.

At least with other browsers I get an error message:

Opera - 'Problem reading from server',
    Chrome - 'This webpage is not available. ... the website may be down...'
    Twitter - 'Loading error. The request timed out'

It seems it's just me though :(

Have you tried turning it off and on again? ;)

The site's working fine for me in Chrome and Firefox on Android 4.3, though it does take a while to fully load via data connection.

Sounds like a problem either with your wireless connection, service provider, or DNS connection.

Out here in the middle of nowhere we lose connection with our DNS servers pretty often, usually due to issues with our service provider. What that happens, I get similar messages from my mobile browser. The issue is typically fixed by waiting it out, sadly.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronSky View Post
    Sounds like a problem either with your wireless connection, service provider, or DNS connection.
    Is this the case with 3G & LTE though? I have no problems connecting when I have wifi connected - just 3G/LTE.

Also - yes I've tried restarting too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    At a guess, your 3G/LTE provider is either

a - blocking the site (in before Ceiling Cameron jokes)
    b - adding proxy headers or other shit which is effectively blocking the site

There's only 3 possible routes to solving this

1 get some network diagnostic software or create an app which will give you more detailed access to what's being sent and received

2 call your network and ask them if they have ANY filtering (parental controls, adult content blocking etc.) and if so, can they just turn it the fuck off.

3 change your network

Most 3G/LTE services use fairly complex proxy systems which tamper with content in quite a spectacular way, often to the detriment of it. We all remember when it transpired that O2 (UK) was putting your mobile number into the header of every request of course...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01...s_to_websites/
    Last edited by trjp; 01-08-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Activated Node
    Thanks for the extra suggestions there.

As luck would have it, it's decided to start working again today. No idea what the problem was but now it's fine.

Odd in the extreme. I turned my phone off to hard exit from a hanging app (which I promise I'd tried about 40 times before) and afterwards I could connect.

Apologies for the timewasting guys.