Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Rock, Paper, Trailers : SWAT4 shenanigains.

SWAT4 is a First Person Shouter by Irrational Games. You take on the role of a member of a SWAT team, sent into dangerous developing situations to arrest (armed) suspects and secure hostgages.

It's a very methodical, tactical experience, and it really, really shines in co-op.

You can read about RPS playing it here

So I'd like to play some of this soon, with RPS people. If you already have the game, and it's expansion, the Stechkov Syndicate, great. If not, you'll need to dig them up from somewhere. Direct2Drive used to sell it for way too much, but not sure if that's still the case after they were sold and rebranded. A dig around in your local game store, or on the internet will probably turn up a boxed copy somewhere. Finally, as we'll be playing LAN, it can be noted that copy protection won't be enforced.

As was in the news recently (ish), the sever network etc was taken down, so we'll also be using GameRanger to simulate a LAN game.

I'm going to suggest that we convene next Tuesday at 19:30 BST (18:30 UTC) on RPS mumble - I'll create a temporary channel for us.

If people would like to take part and that time doesn't suit them, then shout up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I'm on board, call sign 'the letter H', not literally 'H' but the phrase 'the letter H'.

7.30 is a no mans land for me as that's my kids bedtime. 9.30 becomes more ideal.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    I hope to get involved. Haven't got the game yet so will need to see what's the cheapest and quickest way to get myself a copy. I'll then be completely new to the game. How much is that likely to make me completely useless in a coop set up?
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    I will order a copy of the gold edition. Count me in! :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm expecting new players. The mechanics of the game don't take long to grasp. Getting good at the implementation of them takes longer - and much of it can only be gained through experience.

Best options I can find for buying it are via Amazon

The skills of the game are esay to pick up, common sense however is mandatory. You have to forget how to play games and play like an actual person.

[Shooting people is bad. Arresting people is good. People dying at all is bad.. using beanbag shotgun rounds on civilians to "get them out of the way is bad]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Network Hub
    Hm. I've never played the SWAT 4 co-op/MP before. How does it work?

I'm definitely interested, but I may have to brush up on my SWAT skills ahead of time.

Just for clarification, I've played the hell out of SWAT 4/Stetchkov single player, just never the MP.

It's exactly the same as sp, but no bots and lots of swearing.

Remember FMJ to the knee is 'less than lethal'.

Sounds really good. My order is on its way to me.

In multiplayer is the opposition AI or another bunch or RPSers?

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    In multiplayer is the opposition AI or another bunch or RPSers?
    We'll be playing Co-op vs the AI. There are competitive modes, but they're a lot less unique.

Received my copy today. It is now installed and ready for action. :)

If you want to play in widescreen and/or a resolution higher than 1600x1200, here's how to do it:
    http://www.widescreengaming.net/wiki/SWAT_4

I stumbled across my swat4 game the yesterday day in the garage and gave a small wistful sigh at the thought of maybe playing it again one day. And this is the first time I've checked the rps forums for ages. Coincidence?!

Definitely in for this.

Huzzah! I've always wanted to play this in co-op, properly =)

Like Boosh, it's a recent rediscovery for me - I was hoping to lure a few friends in for LAN, but they're not the most FPS-savvy, and it might have been a bit of a Dwarf Fortress experience; fun losing.

See you on Tuesday, I hope.

Game bought, installed, and run. I shall represent the GIGN ;) (though I've never played the game before)

Ah the bad old days of having to deal with multiple CDs and Serial keys...I would prefer this to start a 7H30 BST like CMaster suggested, because if this starts too late, my timezone will prevent me from participating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    Game bought, installed, and run. I shall represent the GIGN ;) (though I've never played the game before)
    In that case, I will be the one casting shame on the NI. :)

Nice, we seem to be gathering up plenty of Rock Planet Shotgun folks! I'm looking forward to being tacticool tomorrow. :p

Installed and ready to go, had a quick run round, died horribly.
    It doesn't play nicely with multiple monitors (it seems anyway), have to disable my second monitor to get it to load.

Also ini file is here C:\Program Files (x86)\Sierra\SWAT 4\ContentExpansion\System\
    for changing the resolution. (doesn't appear to be covered in the linked instructions a few posts up)

Was really surprised at how good this still looks/feels after all this time, looking forward to it.

Just got mine today, I wonder if Amazon are seeing a little sales spike here...

I hope to get in game a little this evening and familiarise myself with the interface etc. If I do then I'll drop by the PS2 mumble channel to see if anyone fancies playing a little (a.k.a. providing 1:1 tuition!).

Wally is now on Steam!

Going to reinstall it, what's the voip plan? In game isn't ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Going to reinstall it, what's the voip plan? In game isn't ideal.
    Temp channel in mumble?

Wally is now on Steam!

Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    Just got mine today, I wonder if Amazon are seeing a little sales spike here...

I hope to get in game a little this evening and familiarise myself with the interface etc. If I do then I'll drop by the PS2 mumble channel to see if anyone fancies playing a little (a.k.a. providing 1:1 tuition!).
    There is a decent tutorial. I mean it's long, it's good, but some of it won't apply to us (co-op mode so i don't think we will have to give orders to AI ?) and I have no idea how much different a true mission will be.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 05-08-2013 at 08:42 PM.