Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Network Hub

Enough with the dicks and the boobs on the front page!

FFS this is quite enough! I want to be able to browse this site at work without fear.

Don't be a dick about it, man.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Seconded. I've disabled images on RPS altogether, but there also appears to be a new initiative to make the giant headline texts similarly questionable, just to ensure that I have the maximum number of reasons to not read the website. (It's partly a work thing for me too, and partly a domestic thing because I also read RPS at home around other people, and partly personal preference).
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Hate to say it but, ad block? Or yunno, get back to work :p
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

what the hell.

first off, Cara is in charge for a week or two, and we are talking about 3 articles. 3. Seriously. The only one (aside from the comedy boobs) that could be construid as obviously IN YOUR FACE was Saints Row 4, and thats normal coverage.

I think youre both overreacting.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 31-07-2013 at 04:17 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    I think youre both overreacting.
    But you haven't even heard about my canceled (admittedly trivially priced) subscription, yet!
    Last edited by Berzee; 31-07-2013 at 07:46 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    But you haven't even heard about my massive (admittedly trivially priced) cock, yet!
    Oh yes I have.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Oh, in that case, carry on. I think I'd still like a blog that's reliably clothed, though -- but this thread is not primarily about my complaint, after all. guitarxe, have you tried showing your employer some naked video-game people while explaining that it's normal coverage and that they're overreacting?

Helio, your suggestion is fine for ads but doesn't really work for article images, since it's sad to have to block the nifty screenshots along with the unwanted ones. I will not deny that your suggestion to get back to work is pretty valid, though. ;) I will heed it presently.

still, its all rather pixelated.

Also, kids gotta learn it somehow. hyuk hyuk
    - Tom De Roeck.

(P.S. after the SR4 stuff is when I blocked images, so I have been thankfully unaware of the graphical fidelity/pixelation of any more recent examples.

Maybe I will just bide my time and chalk it up to the current wave of games -- but I still think the original safe-for-work complaint is probably applicable to many workplaces.)
    Last edited by Berzee; 31-07-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, if your employee gets his knickers in a twist about stuff like that maybe you shouldnt be browsing about on the workplace in the first place then? Or else have a chat with him about the birds and the bees and how grown ups should be able to handle seeing a slong or a pair of tits.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

A self-hating schlong slithered along, sliding through the slough;
    Before too long it noticed a bong, and took it a toke or two.
    "Far be it from me to piddle a pee," said the tubular terror,
    "And I don't suffer tits, either."

A short jaunt through the absurdity and insecurity of denying the self (or being denied the self).

I'm glad my employers and I are comfy with bodies & sexuality. It might be worthwhile for RPS et al. to censor themselves and to only feature heinously-offensive graphic depictions of our ungodly flesh after the breaks... but then the forces of medieval prudishness would have a victory and I think their proper lot in life happens to be sucking down endless piss slushies.

I demand more heathen flesh and sinful verbiage. More body- and sexuality-focused games and game-talk. More realism and absurdism, nuance and bluntness, silliness and earnestness, etc, across the the breadth of the topic. Also, consistent use of punning and double and triple entendres, lest RPS devolve into stodgy moralism. More!
    Is not a leg.
    Frobnitz Ichor Liquor purveyors don't need compasses to tell which way the moon sounds.

Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

More dicks and boobs please. The only way we're gonna get all these prudes to accept dicks and boobs as a thing is by filling every day with more dicks and boobs until dicks and boobs are common place and not that big a deal anymore.

Also, boohoo I can't skimp off work browsing RPS because there was the word boobs in the headline. Cry me a river.

In order to subvert the system, you have to become it.

- Tom De Roeck.

guitarxe! I thought of a partial solution for myself, which I will also mention here as it may be useful to others. Well, it will be useful if you use Firefox and have Greasemonkey installed (does Chrome have Greasemonkey too? I don't even know), but neither of those things is too bad. =P

If you have Greasemonkey, you can go to this link to get a script that will hide article-header images for any author(s) you like. It also reduces the font size of their article titles to normal size, so you don't have giant "LOOK I'M READING ABOUT [anatomy bits]!!!" text emblazoned on your screen.

As Quanta mentioned, this problem has been largely (though not exclusively) perpetrated by Cara, so she's the only one included in the default filter list, but it's pretty easy to edit it in Greasemonkey and add/remove names. (If you want to do this to all articles just to be safe and craaazy, just add some empty quotes to the list of authors).

Also, it only affects the front page (and previous pages) -- the individual articles themselves are unaffected, so once you have determined that an article is probably safe you can click it to get the true multimedia experience.

Not a perfect solution, but I like it better than having a completely image-less site because this still lets me see the "post comment" buttons and in-article screenshots. I'd still like it best if we could count on the bloggerz to make this unnecessary, of course. =)

(P.S. It does run after the whole page loads, so the page may display normally for a few seconds before the images get hidden. Best to load the page in a tab in the background, and give the script some time to do its noble work.)

(P.P.S. If by some slim chance somebody tries this, let me know if you have any troubles with it and I will try to fix it later)
    Last edited by Berzee; 01-08-2013 at 03:34 PM.

well I see one problem with it: youll miss out on the really good cara things.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    well I see one problem with it: youll miss out on the really good cara things.
    The articles are still there and readable on the main page, they just don't have an image associated with them. It looks like this:

RPSfiltered.jpg

Incidentally, since I've started using it, Cara's articles actually stand out as being differently-styled, and I have to check and see if they're which ones are okay to click on, so I've been paying them more attention than the rest. :P (That's why I went to the trouble of making this comparatively complicated script instead of just removing those articles entirely, because when they are not full of The Inappropriate Contents, they are frequently among the Most Best).
    Last edited by Berzee; 01-08-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh wow, you went through this much trouble just so you could read about slongs at work without seeing the images? You could have installed lynx or another text browser!
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Activated Node
    Or you know, wait until you're home? I don't quite get the fuss.
    Yeah well, the furnace is nice and warm and I'm bored.