Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

Dominions 3: Suddenly a Q&A thread appeared in the forum.

If your questions are personally exposing to the multiplayer games, why not just post the question from a new account. I will answer to the best of my ability with only minimal conspiracy and manipulation.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I wonder what level of conspiracy and manipulation You have employed in our (too frequent) conversations...

Quote Originally Posted by Nahru2 View Post
    I wonder what level of conspiracy and manipulation You have employed in our (too frequent) conversations...
    Never more than 0.4.

Network Hub
    When do we get a subforum?

Quote Originally Posted by Eschatos View Post
    When a writer of RPS or an admin of the forum plays the game, who would you say was most vulnerable to the game? If we can find a WW2 mod maybe we could backdoor it by Tim Stone?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eschatos View Post
    That's a good question.

Network Hub
    Clearly the solution is to write about how much fun we're having and make everybody jealous. Here's my first submission:

Dear everyone,

Today my god died when he was struck by random arrow while wielding a weapon called the Flesh Eater, forcing him to go berserk and press on alone into a horde of demonic orcs and zombies after the rest of my army routed due to my moose corps being decimated. This game sucks and don't play it.

Love,

Eschatos

Interesting thread about the DRN (Dominions Random Number). Mostly as it offers a peek at the weird shit going on behind the scenes.

TL;DR It's not very random, max values are very low compared to other more random RNG's. There is also some cool pictures that are totally meaningless to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    Interesting thread about the DRN (Dominions Random Number). Mostly as it offers a peek at the weird shit going on behind the scenes.

TL;DR It's not very random, max values are very low compared to other more random RNG's. There is also some cool pictures that are totally meaningless to me.
    That could really do with being fixed for dom 4. Maybe even Dom 3 in a patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    That could really do with being fixed for dom 4. Maybe even Dom 3 in a patch.
    Oy...yeah that's not a very nice RNG.

The pictures are just a way of visualizing the 'randomness'. Most RNGs are psuedo-random at best, but a good one should still look like static, i.e. you should not be able to make out any pattern. You can clearly see patterns in the Dominions 3 RNG even before the FFT.

This image from that thread does make me laugh though: http://i.imgur.com/QwjNr.jpg

Hillfort requires 3 months to complete, right? Then why mine is not yet completed? On the second month I even designated another commander to aid the first one in building the Hillfort, and it said "Continue fort construction (0)". That was the previous turn. And it says the same thing now.

EDIT: Wait, I may have made an error with some of the above statements. Will check again...

EDIT 2: Yes, this is the third turn, but my Hillfort is nowhere to be found. Am I missing something? Perhaps three turns of construction, and the fourth turn I get that what I was building? If so, then what about that message with 2 commanders building the fort - should it not have been built by now then?
    Last edited by Nahru; 07-08-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Number of commanders doesn't matter, build rate stays the same. You can check how many months are left on the F1 screen (just scroll to the commander in the province list and it will list the remaining months).

I can't recall how long a hillfort takes, but I know it's in the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    Number of commanders doesn't matter, build rate stays the same. You can check how many months are left on the F1 screen (just scroll to the commander in the province list and it will list the remaining months).

I can't recall how long a hillfort takes, but I know it's in the manual.

Yeah, I see it... now...

Forget the rest.

Different nations build different kinds of forts. there's a list of all forts on the wiki, but you'll have to check the manual (PDF) to see fort selection broken down by nation.

At a guess, you might be building a "hill fortress" instead a "hillfort"? The former takes 5 months to complete, instead of 3. (I'm lumbered with this problem myself as MA T'ien Ch'i, grumble...)
    Last edited by Screwie; 07-08-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    At a guess, you might be building a "hill fortress" instead a "hillfort"? The former takes 5 months to complete, instead of 3. (I'm lumbered with this problem myself as MA T'ien Ch'i, grumble...)
    Oh I have seen the list in the manual. It is definitely Hillfort. I was just curious about that message. And I was a bit confused about the turns (months) it takes to build something (that is, when it will actually show that which I was building).

Has your commander been building every turn? Someone needs to actively construct each turn.

So you can switch commanders mid-build and not lose your progress?

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Has your commander been building every turn? Someone needs to actively construct each turn.
    Yes. For the first 2 turns one commander was building the fort, and on the second turn I added another one which gave me a message (pop-up or something) "Continue fort construction (0)". I thought that the fort would be built by the next turn. It seems I was wrong.

Yeah, you just need any commander building to keep progress going.

Edit: I believe the (0) is the gold cost, so on the build screen it has "Temple (400), Lab (500), Continue Fort Construction (0)"

Well, damn. Thanks!