Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

XCOM: Enemy Within

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-ratings-board

I hope they keep the future electronica vibe, and I welcome any kind of game XCOM as long as its tactical and in the new universe theyve created.

I bet on a huge expansion or sequel.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Well I sure hope it's not some mobile/tablet crap. I can't believe how Firaxis dropped the ball after XCOM's launch. I mean it was a good start but there was so much still left to do and they did nothing. If this is something like traditional expansion or a standalone expansion that turns out to be everything we hoped of the original, then I might consider them redeemed.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Well I sure hope it's not some mobile/tablet crap. I can't believe how Firaxis dropped the ball after XCOM's launch. I mean it was a good start but there was so much still left to do and they did nothing. If this is something like traditional expansion or a standalone expansion that turns out to be everything we hoped of the original, then I might consider them redeemed.
    see? thats the problem, you hoped for something "like the original".

Its a different game. Its called XCOM because it is based on similarities, but it is, essentially, a remix.

Also, I liked it a lot. It is a great game, in it's own right.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Well I sure hope it's not some mobile/tablet crap.
    Steam, 360 and PS3, apparently.

It is a great game but there are still lots of bugs left in the code, some of them quite gamebreaking. I see XCOM EU as a fun but flawed game and I never played any of the old XCOMs.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    It is a great game but there are still lots of bugs left in the code, some of them quite gamebreaking. I see XCOM EU as a fun but flawed game and I never played any of the old XCOMs.
    Exactly. And I would love to get more. I hope they go the Civ5 route of expansions. ie. continually adding/changing/fixing gameplay to make replays more fun.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    see? thats the problem, you hoped for something "like the original". Its a different game. Its called XCOM because it is based on similarities, but it is, essentially, a remix. Also, I liked it a lot. It is a great game, in it's own right.
    Exactly, it was never going to be the original, and with good reason - there were some elements in the original which were bad that people still seem to cling to for no apparent reason. Even Xenonauts, which is about as close to the original as you can get, makes some concessions.

XCOM 2012 made things a bit faster and tighter. The arguments over TUs versus the two actions will rage on for a while, but I sure don't miss single-alien hunts over a massive map at the end of a mission, nor do I miss tedious inventory management and selling 600 pointless items for no reason other than to free up space. Yes, it does lack things over the original (e.g. invasions, more alien bases) but it kept the asymmetric warfare element along with the geoscape and the tactical combat, which is the essence of XCOM.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    see? thats the problem, you hoped for something "like the original".

Its a different game. Its called XCOM because it is based on similarities, but it is, essentially, a remix.

Also, I liked it a lot. It is a great game, in it's own right.
    I never said that. What I hoped was a good game that wasn't so badly flawed by bugs and bad design. I wanted to play hardcore but the teleporting mob packs made that infuriatingly frustrating, along with the "still in cover even though isn't" -bug that was quite common and a bad combination with no move-undo. Also the research was too linear and laser tier could basically be skipped. They should've fixed those in a patch or dlc at least.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    It won't be a tablet thing, XCOM already got a full release on iPad...

Anyway here's hoping I can spend my time sticking it to the cult of Sirius!

I never said that. What I hoped was a good game that wasn't so badly flawed by bugs and bad design. I wanted to play hardcore but the teleporting mob packs made that infuriatingly frustrating, along with the "still in cover even though isn't" -bug that was quite common and a bad combination with no move-undo. Also the research was too linear and laser tier could basically be skipped. They should've fixed those in a patch or dlc at least.
    Ah, then I misread. thought you meant the original, as in UFO Defence.

and its confirmed on steam.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Banned
    I am excited!

Hope its watery!

\o/

I hope they deviate from whatever the old xcom has done so far.
    - Tom De Roeck.

I missed XCOM for $10 during the Summer Sale.

/sadface

It will be back fo sho! I am also quite excited and hope that it will be an improved version of XCOM EU with additional features and more polish.

I hope they create a stronger sense of the global conflict taking place on Earth. The battles were fun, but it seemed disjointed to me, and I never felt the global scale of warfare. Also, having the narrative attached to the research tree was okay, but I think that contributed to feeling less like global warfare and more like a private research company trying to save the world.

Edit: And yeah, the teleporting aliens were inexcusable.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 01-08-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I hope they create a stronger sense of the global conflict taking place on Earth. The battles were fun, but it seemed disjointed to me, and I never felt the global scale of warfare. Also, having the narrative attached to the research tree was okay, but I think that contributed to feeling less like global warfare and more like a private research company trying to save the world.

Edit: And yeah, the teleporting aliens were inexcusable.
    well it was still a secret organisation. It was implied that the regular armed forces were failingly keeping them at bay, and the XCOM agents struck behind enemy lines, so to say.
    - Tom De Roeck.

The battles were okay, though not outstanding, but the researching, manufacturing, engineering and all that stuff with the comic book characters I found a bit too cutesy and cheesy. It should have been more gritty and less shiny.
    Respectable people... What bastards! - Emile Zola

More X-COM cannot be a bad thing. I know this probably won't happen, but "Within" gives me faint hope for base defense.
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/

Activated Node
    At some point or other I am pretty sure there will be a sequel to XCOM and my problem is I will have no idea whether to buy it or not.

I completely disagreed with 95% of people and reviews and thought it was an average (At best) game with zero replay value and a literally pointless top level (IMO the battles were the only part of the game that were fun/ required any interaction)

With this in mind, who the hell do I trust when it comes to reviews? Most of you guys loved it and it's normally these very forums which help me decide what games to buy.

One of the biggest of 1st world problems I have heard of ... in the last 5 minutes ... if you ask me ... maybe.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I miss procedural maps the most. Sure you saw the same blocks but it kept it interesting and the environment was grass/desert/snow depending on where the location was. At least they did add some configuration options that are easy to adjust to give it more replay.

Also I miss my massive tanks.